You may like this new mix! tdwp-ish

Love drum sounds...and how they're very prominent in the mix...I like the whole drums up/gtrs down/vox up thing. :)

This is a POD tone that excites me! Good job getting the necessary "sheen" of pro sounding guitars. I think the problem with all the POD tones is that they're naturally kind of too "dry."

Ever think of sending your guitar mix only out of your monitors, stereo micing the monitors, and blending it REALLY low under the guitars to make it a little "roomy" sounding? Just a little... It may suck, it may work. Just thought of it.

I would try to make the drums sit a little better. They're upfront and punchy, but they're not really cohesive as part of the mix. You definitely have a lot of AWESOME sounds going on, but they're not working to their fullest potential together.

"We're going to keep this city alive, with everything I have left." Aside from the line not making sense (I could be hearing the lyrics wrong), the words in bold are out of tune (key wise) in one of the harmonies (possibly the lower one). It's the only imperfection I hear at all.

This is an excellent mix, great job editing. I hope the band is happy.

-Greg

Love drum sounds...and how they're very prominent in the mix...I like the whole drums up/gtrs down/vox up thing. :)

Yea Ive been really unhappy with pushing the drums and vox back in mixes in the past. So i decided to change that this time around.

This is a POD tone that excites me! Good job getting the necessary "sheen" of pro sounding guitars. I think the problem with all the POD tones is that they're naturally kind of too "dry."

Ever think of sending your guitar mix only out of your monitors, stereo micing the monitors, and blending it REALLY low under the guitars to make it a little "roomy" sounding? Just a little... It may suck, it may work. Just thought of it.

I would try to make the drums sit a little better. They're upfront and punchy, but they're not really cohesive as part of the mix. You definitely have a lot of AWESOME sounds going on, but they're not working to their fullest potential together.

"We're going to keep this city alive, with everything I have left." Aside from the line not making sense (I could be hearing the lyrics wrong), the words in bold are out of tune (key wise) in one of the harmonies (possibly the lower one). It's the only imperfection I hear at all.

This is an excellent mix, great job editing. I hope the band is happy.

-Greg

First off thanks Greg and glad you dig the guitars!

Now micing the monitor could cause a feedback loop if I'm not mistaken. I do have a small little amp here i could try and send (reamp) the distorted guitar signal out to and mic the amp. That would be fun and just blend that in very far back to give some character.

About the out of key vox, I'm not hearing them but I'm kind of in a rush this morning. I will have to jump on the session tonight and solo out the harmonies. Do you think the screaming vocals underneath are causing you to think there out of key?

Thanks again for all your feedback Greg!

Now micing the monitor could cause a feedback loop if I'm not mistaken.

I think you may be right about this, I'm just thinking of reamping. As long as the output and input are isolated this won't happen. Also, a guitar acts as a microphone as well. If you move the mic back far enough, you probably could avoid it. I was thinking of solutions and not their reprocussions :loco:

About the out of key vox, I'm not hearing them but I'm kind of in a rush this morning. I will have to jump on the session tonight and solo out the harmonies. Do you think the screaming vocals underneath are causing you to think there out of key?

Thanks again for all your feedback Greg!

No, there's a note out, or that wavers enough that it sounds out. Trust me on this one, I am a tuning NAZI when it comes to recording.

No problem dude.

Also, I like to say to anyone who does good work, you should give me a shot at putting these DIs through one of my monster rigs and check out the results :headbang:

Nope I don't use reverb on the kick unless I feel the song needs some. I usually just buss my snare and toms to the reverb/drum buss and then use a send and send a bit of hats and overheads to the drum buss to catch a little reverb. Usually the overheads skip my drum buss and the kick as well and they go strait to the main 2 buss.

The only downside to this whole method is that you really cant eq the reverb because it will effect all the drums on the drum buss.

Ha ok now I get it, I thought you bussed all the drums ;)

It's a really fucking good mix but, if I hadn't read the title I'd think it was a Sturgis production (minus a lot of the crazy production accents he adds).

That's pretty flattering considering, but I guess it's hard to NOT deviate away from that kind of sound when you're recording a band of the genre' that Joey basically created.

=D

Good job dude

Fuck me, it was STURGIS that created metalcore? Not a bunch of guys back in the late 80s?:loco:

Fuck me, it was STURGIS that created metalcore? Not a bunch of guys back in the late 80s?:loco:

Nah just this particular brand of metalcore with assholes with expensive haircuts being angry at their girlfriends and their parents, complete with eurotrance breakdowns.

Nothing against your work by the way Josh, this is sick.
Just checking the updated mix. The raised bass sounds much better.

I think you may be right about this, I'm just thinking of reamping. As long as the output and input are isolated this won't happen. Also, a guitar acts as a microphone as well. If you move the mic back far enough, you probably could avoid it. I was thinking of solutions and not their reprocussions :loco:

No, there's a note out, or that wavers enough that it sounds out. Trust me on this one, I am a tuning NAZI when it comes to recording.

No problem dude.

Also, I like to say to anyone who does good work, you should give me a shot at putting these DIs through one of my monster rigs and check out the results :headbang:

i agree. I definitely hear more than one out of tune note on that singing part.
Nice mix though dude!

lol there isn't an ounce of dynamic left in this mix... It's completely crushed on a virtual wall of limiting. But the balance is cool tought it lacks a lot of bottom feel caused by the simple 0 dynamics going on.

¯\(°_o)/¯ how do dynamics?

seriously though, what recordings in this genre have dynamics these days?

How does blending tom mic's with the slate samples work? I always figured that would cause weird issues unless the mic'd toms were tuned perfectly with the slate toms.

How does blending tom mic's with the slate samples work? I always figured that would cause weird issues unless the mic'd toms were tuned perfectly with the slate toms.

One may blend kicks and snares that are out of tune with one another and recorded with different mics at different levels and withd different possible distances from the drum. It's all about what sounds good. I generally use Superior or Foundry toms. They do the job for me :headbang:

Yea what i did was take each drum and bring to the middle of the room and mic it. Then I had the drummer do like 9 of each hit from hard-super soft. I recorded each drum individual and then I cut them all up and made gogs with them. The toms on his kit were much higher tuned then Slate fat toms. Also the snare was higher in pitch as well. The only thing you have to watch out for is phase when blending samples. There is even a few Slate samples that have phase issues! I just used tab to transient to cut the samples from the front and they matched up with Slate samples perfect on this project with no phase. Also having the same drum tones as the overhead and room mics really make the drums gel together.

No problem dude.

Yea dude I need to go back and fix some things! I realized that when I used beat detective to crossfade all my punch ins and edits, there is pops and clicks in the clean dir. I do not hear any of these pops or clicks through pod farm, But as soon as i bypass pod farm..... :erk:

So i will have to go back to the original session and redo all the guitar edits and cross fades. Sucks because I'm super backed up on work right now! Soon as i have a free day I will get this done. I really want to hear this mix with a real amp on it!

Yea dude I need to go back and fix some things! I realized that when I used beat detective to crossfade all my punch ins and edits, there is pops and clicks in the clean dir. I do not hear any of these pops or clicks through pod farm, But as soon as i bypass pod farm..... :erk:

So i will have to go back to the original session and redo all the guitar edits and cross fades. Sucks because I'm super backed up on work right now! Soon as i have a free day I will get this done. I really want to hear this mix with a real amp on it!

The pops and clicks aren't noticable at all once you hit the amp in most cases. They're usually at transitions as well, which are usually quite dynamic so it masks any issues. Regardless, drop me a line when you have the chance.

Yea what i did was take each drum and bring to the middle of the room and mic it. Then I had the drummer do like 9 of each hit from hard-super soft. I recorded each drum individual and then I cut them all up and made gogs with them. The toms on his kit were much higher tuned then Slate fat toms. Also the snare was higher in pitch as well. The only thing you have to watch out for is phase when blending samples. There is even a few Slate samples that have phase issues! I just used tab to transient to cut the samples from the front and they matched up with Slate samples perfect on this project with no phase. Also having the same drum tones as the overhead and room mics really make the drums gel together.

yeah i noticed that when i was doing the Before there was Rosalyn full length. I blended two slate snares(snare 11a and 8), and when i printed them, they were 100% out of phase on every hit. all i had to do was invert one of the snare tracks though

I too would like a crack at reamping these DI's, any chance you could post them here ?

Sounds like a plan! :kickass:

fuckin kick ass mix.... just not my style of music.

Yea after doing a lot of deathcore bands this shit is FUN!

yeah i noticed that when i was doing the Before there was Rosalyn full length. I blended two slate snares(snare 11a and 8), and when i printed them, they were 100% out of phase on every hit. all i had to do was invert one of the snare tracks though

Yea dude there is a phase knob on drumagog but I have never had any luck with that. What Ive done in the past is print the snares to a track and then slide the whole track so the snares are in phase. Well unless flipping the phase on a eq or something works.