Your Bass approach Grit/Body ?

If this was about reamping, then yes i understand phase issues. I figured we were talking about duplicating a DI in a DAW.

Plus this is what was said
"If you use more than one bass track with the same DI, you need to invert the phase of one of the tracks, or it will clash with some of the others."

Its sentences like this that throw off people trying to learn on here. This is not a fact. Im not trying to call anyone out or argue, I was just trying to help the people who are trying to learn about bass processing.

It's typical for me to have 3-4 bass tracks. Generally an amp set to clean, an amp set to raunchy grit, and a guitar amp going full bore in addition to the DI run through TSE BOD or a B7K Darkglass. I used to be really anal about HP/LP filtering each one, but for the last year or so I've just been letting them all run full-bore and liking the results more.

Seems we have a pretty similar taste in bass tones.
I've also had projects where I didn't HP/LP a whole lot on the individual tracks.
But the bass was already really scooped sounding on the DI to begin with, so maybe that helped with not adding up too much of the low mid/mid junk.

I really like marshall style (jcm 800 for example) clean/gritty tones for bass.
Works really awesome sometimes.
A lot of times I'll also have the PT sansamp plugin before another amp, using it like you'd use a pedal.
Sometimes a random ampsim instead, with cab sim off. Like, whatever. Sometimes the weirdest shit works awesome.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ovmcoih0dmculgg/basstest.wav

From a song I just finished. The first is with the overdrive/clank track not phase-inverted; the second is with it inverted.

edit: for clarity, these use the same DI track. The low end has nothing but a HPF on it. The other track has a TSE B.O.D. and a TSE R47 with a LPF around 500hz.

Is the technical term for this phase cancellation? Maybe, maybe not. I'm well aware that it doesn't sound like your traditional phase cancellation example. But my only point was that, when you are working with multiple tracks of the same DI, sometimes clicking the invert phase button on one can be extremely helpful, like in this example. Here, it got rid of a noticeable amount of weird, noisy mud that I assumed, since it was fixed with the invert phase button, was caused by phase issues. If it doesn't help, then the absolute worst thing you did was to waste .3 seconds of your life clicking the invert phase button.

it's the same as with the snare top/bottom mics. You don't HAVE to do it everytime on default, but you should try it everytime to see if it gets better or not.

Also with duplicated DIs and ampsims it can be usefull. If theres not the same of amount of gain stages, the phase will be flipped for example.

99%I use a DI for the lows and another channel with a PSA 1,1 with some distortion.
I really enjoy Sansamp, especially PSA 1,1, and Bass Driver DI

I don't understand. No one scoops 500HZ what ever happened to that. LP 200 on one. and HP to 4-500 On another. No ones scooping 500 and smashing thought that was the most "popular" approach.

I don't understand. No one scoops 500HZ what ever happened to that. LP 200 on one. and HP to 4-500 On another. No ones scooping 500 and smashing thought that was the most "popular" approach.

This happens on my general bass bus. I have my 4-5 tracks with individual processing routed to a group where I do some overall comp/additional eq/saturation/etc, and one of the things that almost always happens is scoopage of that area.

I second the sansamp RBI, the thing is beast. Usually have clank/low end with the RBI and then some distortion on a second di with a proco. Sometimes I run a hartke bass attack into an gk for a "cleaner" tone with a bit of clank. Usually one track is enough but sometimes that proco track sweetens the deal.

I currently love Fabfilter's Saturn plugin for bass distortion. It's multi-band, so you can choose to saturate only the mids of the DI (as well as other bands too if you like). It gives you total control over the bandwidth of the saturation, and also has a wet/dry mix function and is completely phase-coherent. I now run that into a bass amp sim for both amp/grit together, and then have a parallel track with the DI heavily low passed and limited to give a flat low end response.

This happens on my general bass bus. I have my 4-5 tracks with individual processing routed to a group where I do some overall comp/additional eq/saturation/etc, and one of the things that almost always happens is scoopage of that area.

Ah ok makes sense, you use a linear phase eq?

When I run both pickups (EMG J neck, P bridge) on full it naturally scoops out that range. TSE BOD scoops it further. Barely have to do any EQ after that.