low end distortion

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
I've been really digging my bass tone lately, I'm using two (sometimes three) tracks one DI, one grit + amp and sometimes one specifically just for grit, I buss them all together compress and eq and all that jazz and it sounds great together, the only problem is that when I solo just the di that I'm using for the low end it sounds distorted on certain notes but it's not running through any distortion whatsoever

is that a side effect of hitting the compressors too hard? is it normal or is there anything I can do?
Even when I lower the compression with just that track solo'd it still distorts pretty heavily and its not even being compressed that hard, but again when I listen to it together everything sounds great, I'm confused -_-

thanks guys.

^+1 to both. Low frequency distortion is a direct result of too fast attack and/or release settings on compressors, because those frequencies have longer wavelengths. Very small increments in the offending setting will probably make the distortion go away without too much noticable difference otherwise.

Alternatively you could make the compressor ignore the lowest frequencies, if you are happy with the way your low end sounds. Many compressors have some sort of sidechain function for that.

Try lengthening the attack on any compressor that is touching the low end. A quick attack on heavy compression ALWAYS distorts low end for me.

Just had this problem on a mix.
Reached for the multiband compressor for the first time in years.