ProgMetalFan said:
INCREDIBLE SONG!

Queensryche has tons of great ballads... like:

Bridge
Real World
Silent Lucidity
I Will Remember
I Only Dream In InfraRed
Those are all great picks, bro. You can't go wrong with Geoff Tate and 'Ryche when it comes to emotional songs.

Well, that really depends what you mean by "ballad"...

Symphony X - Candlelight Fantasia
Dream Theater - Lifting Shadows Off A Dream

Or, if you're going by the true meaning...

Symphony X - The Odyssey
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons

MorphineChild205 said:
Well, that really depends what you mean by "ballad"...

Symphony X - Candlelight Fantasia
Dream Theater - Lifting Shadows Off A Dream

Or, if you're going by the true meaning...

Symphony X - The Odyssey
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
[font=Arial, Helvetica]Ballad: Derived from the late Latin verb 'ballare', to dance, came to be used primarily to describe a folk-song of narrative character or a song or poem written in imitation of such a folk-song. The title Ballade was used byChopin to describe four piano-pieces of otherwise concealed narrative content, apparently based on narrative poems of ballad type by the patriotic poet Mickieiwicz, while Brahms in one of his Ballades transfers into music an old Scottish narrative ballad."[/font]

So you are right all the songs you posted are ballads, according to this definition TDWOT could be a ballad too.

Niflheim said:
Can anyone do me a favor and send me this beautiful song you're all talking about? I can't find it anywhere!

Thanks in advance, the collection is building up quite nicely... Have a few songs left to add. :)

Well, I can tell you where you can download the video for it, although it's really, REALLY cheesy! Go to their website, www.crimson-glory.com. It's in the video section. The only problem with it is that not only was it edited for time restrictions (they cut out a lot of the music without vocals) but they also added a bunch of overdubbed harmonies, etc. It's basically the same song most of the way, but not nearly as good as the real version. And the video is horrible! Typical of 1980's metal videos. Close your eyes and you'll be fine! :)
I don't know where you can find just the single though, as I searched to no avail. However, if you like this song, I would definitely recommend getting this album (Transcendence) as it has some incredible songs on it. "Painted Skies" is still my favorite Crimson song. Lady of Winter is awesome too!

Anathema - One Last Goodbye
the Gathering - In Motion #1
Guns N Roses - November Rain (not metal but so what)
Metallica - One (not a ballad but it's still sad)
Opeth - To Bid You Farewell
Wolverine - Leaving Yesterday

Pain of Salvation-This Heart of Mine
Dream Theater-Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Stratovarious-4000 Rainy Nights
Guns N' Roses-November Rain
Skid Row-I Remeber You

Thanks to Charis, i'm going with "The River Flows Frozen" by eternal tears of sorrow... damn that song rules. Also, "Dying" by Rotting Christ... it's as close to a ballad as they have.

OPETH-To rid the disease
Fates Warning-Chasing time
Dream Theater-Lifting shadows off a dream
The Gathering-Confusion
Queensryche-killing words,I will remember
Anathema-One last goodbye
Symphony X- Edge of forever