Your cooperation is required.

Shned

New Metal Member
Aug 10, 2006
Need to knock together a rough survey. In short, I need the lovely fans of Amon Amarth to voice their thoughts and feelings, by answering a couple of questions:

1). What is it that draws you to Amon Amarth's music? Why do you enjoy it so?

2).
a) Do you like/listen to other bands with a Nordic theme? If so, which?
b) Do your interests in them follow a similar pattern to Amon, or not?

Much obliged, folks.

So much love on this forum, almost brings tearts to my eyes...

On a more serious note, something I thought when I first read the original post:
What will you use the answers for/what is the purpose of the survey?

So much love on this forum, almost brings tearts to my eyes...

On a more serious note, something I thought when I first read the original post:
What will you use the answers for/what is the purpose of the survey?

thought the same...
answer required before going on!

and yes there is an awful lot of love on this board :lol:

Answers will go towards supporting evidence for my dissertation. Deadline's in under a couple of weeks.

Need to knock together a rough survey. In short, I need the lovely fans of Amon Amarth to voice their thoughts and feelings, by answering a couple of questions:

2).

Much obliged, folks.
IMO obviously:

1. They keep it melodic, yet heavy. And the nordic theme is cool, but Amon Amarth does it without getting cheesey.

2a. Ensiferum, Bal-Sagoth, Windir (they sort of count?) and Bathory for the most part, but there are a lot of other bands that get mixed in there.
2b. I would say so, they don't do the kind of cheesey stuff that a lot of bands with nordic themes do. Windir and Bathory are a bit of a stretch though, as they sound so different.

Why are you all making this so difficult? You're acting like kids before a shot.

2).

Much obliged, folks.

1)I've always been a sucker for songs with melodys and harmonys that stick out. So i guess thats what drew me in.

2a)Not so much because I dont so much go by themes it more whether or not I like the sound,but i guess to answer your question I do listen to Turisas and Tyr,few others that i cant quite remember the names of.

2b)Dont really know how to answer that because i listen to alot of different styles of music as well so i would say no.

Damn that really was less painless than a shot...

Them tasty riffs. That's basically it. When I first heard them I didn't know the song titles and couldn't understand Johan well enough to know they were talking about Vikings, so that's not part of my attraction to them.

2).
a. Yeah. Bathory, Ereb Altor, Manowar...fuck me, man, you can't listen to metal without running into Vikings everywhere. AA are the Viking-y-est of them, though.

b. Well, no, because they sound completely different. But they're all heavy metal, and I like the heavy metal, so I guess you could say that. I guess the main thing is that most Viking-related metal tends to be epic, so there's that, I guess. But Bathory and co. accomplish it with slow power chord progressions, heavy drumbeats, and choirs, whereas AA use melodic trem-riffs and double kick drumming. But yeah, whatever. Be clearer with the questions and you'll get better answers.

1 - I like the riffs and the melodies the most, they pulled me in. At first, I kept listening because I could actually understand/hear the grunts.

2 - No, not specifically anyway.

Answers will go towards supporting evidence for my dissertation. Deadline's in under a couple of weeks.

I don't want to sound mean when I know nothing about your project, but normally you get evidence first and reach a conclusion, not propose a theory and then go out looking for evidence supporting your view...

Anyways-

1) They've got a really brutal but melodic sound at the same time, and you can actually understand the lyrics.

2a) I listen to other bands with a nordic theme like Tyr, but I don't go out of my way to look for them.

2b) Don't know what you meant exactly- If you are hinting at the viking theme, yes I am interested in viking mythology and history, but I love mythology and history in general.

1. The combination of being melodic and grunts.
2. For instance Dimmu Borgir
3. I'm not interested in them (DB), only like some of their music

2).

Smart assed answer:

1.) They have long hair, can do a kill impression of a helicopter and have cool necklaces and armbands! They are funny, cannot light a grill and chop onions on their instruments.

2.) No other band looks as cool as AA while windmilling.

Real answer:

For me, their passion for their music.. whether it's the epic guitar solos, floor shaking double bass or the believability of the emotion sung in the lyrics. Very few other bands can manage this. (Which answers question 2 both a and b) Separately they are excellent and extremely talented musicians.. together they are an incredibly moving team.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too retarded. I look at these things when I'm working, so my full attention is not always present.

1. I like them because they sound good. Death metal is okay, but when you make it melodic it's great.

2. Yes, I like other nordic themed bands. It's kinda hard to listen to metal and not listen to nordic themed bands. Tyr and Wulfgar to name a few.

3. As far as my interests, they follow no specific pattern. I like metal. I also have many other interests. As my name suggests I've listened to metal for many years (decades actually).

It has a very full sound without being too much. It's not overly heavy and yet not light. They're fucking amazing live as well. Lyrics are great and the music paints a picture and sets the mood.

2a) Do you like/listen to other bands with a Nordic theme? If so, which?
I listen to a few, can't remember them off the top of my head.

2b) Do your interests in them follow a similar pattern to Amon, or not?
Sort of. I listen to alot of Punk (stuff like the Vandals, the Clash, the Ramones, Rancid, etc). Amon got me into Heavy Metal, so I'm still exploring.

I like the brutality mixed with the very melodic sound, makes it sound very epic (which isn't the case with other melo death bands from the Guthenberg scene IMO). I also enjoy the lyrics very much.

2a) Do you like/listen to other bands with a Nordic theme? If so, which?
Yes. My favorite genres are viking and folk metal so I guess I mostly listen to nordic themed bands. Those include Falkenbach, Tyr, Windir, Thyrfing, Enslaved, Bathory, Ensiferum... and then there are those folk metal bands which don't really talk about vikings but stay in that nordic vein (Korpiklaani, Finntroll, Trollfest..) and others which are more celtic-related but I put them all in the same bag (Aes Dana, Heol Telwen, Eluveitie..)

2b) Do your interests in them follow a similar pattern to Amon, or not?
In terms of musicality, no. AA is the only nordic themed Death metal band I listen to. The others aren't death metal. AA is also the only melo death metal band I listen to, haven't really managed to find a similar band.
In terms of lyrical content, yes. I like pagan-related lyrics in general, and I am of the type of people who thinks lyrics are important in songs (although the music is still the most important).