Your current favorite foodz

for a smoothie I'd recommend actually:

Stonyfield-Greek-yogurt-inbody.jpg

Much creamier, and tastes delicious!

The 365 brand, is authentic Greek in terms of - it's not sweet at all, quite sour (but I love it!) it's mostly good on it's own not in a smoothie...

Sounds good... cannae handle the really sour flavour-less stuff on its own mind.

Joe Bastianich is from the region where I live in Italy and he just opened a new tavern/restaurant about a month ago here. Today we went to try it out and I must say it was the best hamburger I've ever had. It was done with gorgonzola and a red onion sautee' and a medium rare, thick patty on a soft, lightly grilled bun with homemade fries. The fries were good, but I've had better. However, that burger was the best burger I've ever had...15 euros.

I've been trying to eat better and take baby steps back into exercising lately, so right now, my favorite foods are shitty, greasy foods I'm mostly denying myself, like burgers and pizza. Also, ice cream.

I've been trying to eat better and take baby steps back into exercising lately, so right now, my favorite foods are shitty, greasy foods I'm mostly denying myself, like burgers and pizza. Also, ice cream.

Just don't eat horrible American fast food pizza. Go to a good pizzeria and eat a good pizza done correctly. That means no Chicago-style pizza or pizza where you have to squeeze all the grease out of it.

Pizza is quite healthy for you in respect to things like burgers or anything fried.

I don't think we have any "proper" pizzerias here. :( But that's all right. I'll just do mostly without and enjoy the occasional indulgence.

And Tom: good for you for trying to eat healthier and better!
No one can live on American crap food forever, at some point it catches up to them...
Eat well, eat balanced, eat wholly; once a month treat yourself to something sinful.
But you'll feel so much better eating better: guaranteed.

Yeah, my only specific goal thus far is to get my heart into the kind of shape it was in 4 or 5 years ago. I wasn't eating well then, but I was hitting the treadmill hard most days, and I felt strong and pretty good most of the time. I might have to find some books on cooking and better nutrition, because I don't really have much of a clue what I'm doing there except for trying to avoid things that are junky, overly processed, sugary, HFCS-ey, etc. I've been on and off with soda for years, but these days it's mostly out of my diet. I always feel better about a week after I kick soda.

Here's the thing: start cooking. By cooking, I mean REALLY COOKING, not pouring can o' whatever into a pot and adding water. Cook everything from scratch. It doesn't take long at all and you won't feel like complete shit afterwards. It's an uphill battle in the states because EVERYTHING people cook comes from a mix these days. Find interesting recipes and if they say, "stir in X pack/can/mix of Y", then find another recipe. If you have to add some pre-made crap into whatever you're cooking, then you're not cooking. You might as well microwave some bullshit frozen dinner. Cream of mushroom soup is not supposed to keep for months...it's fucking bescamela and mushrooms, that's all it is. The fact that it keeps for so long should send warning sirens through everyone's mind, yet it doesn't. Americans focus so much on trans fats and carbs and other bullshit so much, and in the end those aren't even the things that will kill you; it's all the preservatives and modified shit they put into food that kills you. A spoonful of butter is better than that Starbuck's muffin and candy water. I'm not saying you have to go live in a tree and eat organic everything, just prepare everything yourself. It's so easy once you know how.

The thing about the US is that so many people exercise so much just to work off the massive amount of garbage they put into their systems. You don't have to work out every single day to lead a healthy lifestyle. In fact, you really don't have to work out AT ALL. Just eat correctly and walk places.

Just to give you an idea: in the US and UK pregnant women are given enough pills to choke a horse in order to maintain a healthy pregnancy. They don't in Europe. Why? Because those pills were invented due to the increasing number of unhealthy pregnant women living on fast food, Campbell's soup, and Applebee's. Here, women already eat a normal diet and don't need a litany of pills to "get healthy" for their pregnancy.

It's perfectly fine to eat like shit every now and then, but every now and then means like once a month or so, not once a week. All those "restaurants" in the US like Applebee's, TGIFriday's, Chili's, etc. are all just fast food places with different entrees. They're not really restaurants and the food is pre-made crap that's heated up in the oven. They're made for quantity, not quality. Stop eating at those restaurants. Stop eating at fast food joints. Again, just buy your own food, prepare you own food, and cook your own food. You will be amazed at how much better you feel even without exercising.

Also, DRINK WATER. You should have a big bottle of water at your side 24/7. You should be drinking water even when you're not thirsty because when you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated. You should drink at least half a gallon of water per day...at the very LEAST. Just plain 'ole tap water in a big bottled water jug kept in the fridge should suffice; I've got four of them. Don't buy water, use a filter if you have to...I don't even use a filter. Water is water. Granted, the water here is pristine so it's not needed, but I've been to Texas and the southwest and the desert water tastes like SHIT, so buy a filter if you have to. Water cleans your system out, staves off sickness and disease, keeps your belly full and negates those hunger pangs. It's good for circulation, keeps your breath fresh, keeps your teeth clean, and will give you energy like coffee, only less spastic. Water is your best friend.

That all sounds like great, logical stuff. As it is, I use real butter and real sugar instead of any substitutes, and I use very little of either. I usually leave my potatoes/bread unbuttered and my drinks unsweetened (unless I'm having a stretch of "on" time with soda). My one saving grace is probably that I do drink a lot of water. Tap won't do around here, though, and a filter isn't enough. I don't get pre-bottled water, but I buy water from those roadside dispensers that run the water through several steps of purification. It's much cheaper, cleaner, and better tasting than pre-bottled water. I can't say it gives me energy like coffee, but I don't drink many caffeinated drinks (again, with occasional exception for soda), so it probably affects me a bit more than most.