Your fav "live" song ?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
What is your fav 'live' song?

There are many songs, over the years, that have kicked more ass as found on a Live album than vs. the studio version.

For me, some examples are:
"Strange Kind of Woman", Deep Purple - Made In Japan
"Victim of changes", Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
"We'll Burn the Sky", Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
"Children of the Sea", Black Sabbath - Live Evil

But, more than any others, MAIDEN'S "Phantom of the Opera", from Live After Death, takes the prize!!!

What's yours?

SoundMaster said:

While I am not real big into most of the "hair" bands, that super high voice Mark Slaughter uses goes over well live unexpectedly. I saw them in about 2000 and "Up All Night" and other songs ripped live. I have never owned any of their studio stuff, but I bought a live CD by them and again "Up All Night" ripped.

Bryant

Must have been 'Ton of Bricks' from Metal Church on that Aardschok-day in Holland. As for more recent songs... I haven't been to enough concerts last decade... :oops:
As for baddest I can say Magnum's "The Spirit"...I love that song, it suddenly burst out after an accoustic intro...live they just kept on playing accousting, damn spoiled that song. Although the concert was great that song left me really dissappointed. I hate accoustic sets, boooooring...

carnut said:
Must have been 'Ton of Bricks' from Metal Church on that Aardschok-day in Holland. As for more recent songs... I haven't been to enough concerts last decade... :oops:
As for baddest I can say Magnum's "The Spirit"...I love that song, it suddenly burst out after an accoustic intro...live they just kept on playing accousting, damn spoiled that song. Although the concert was great that song left me really dissappointed. I hate accoustic sets, boooooring...
We should ask this question again in mid October. I am sure you have a more recent song :)

carnut said:

I wish I could have seen any version of Metal Church. I prefer Howe era, but they kicked ass with Wayne as well.

Bryant

First one that comes to mind for me is Lick It Up by KISS. On record that song sounds pretty flat and not very dynamic. Live it has 10 times the energy and all these extra parts and cool riffs and a guitar solo added. Huge improvement, the song was definitely made to be played live.

Best live songs are as followed

1. Kill the King- Megadeth
2. Mordred's Song- Blind Guardian
3. War Ensamble- Slayer
4.Hallowed be Thy Name- Maiden
5.Got the Time- Anthrax
6. Black Sabbath- Sabbath
7. Dr. Feelgood- Crue
8. I am the Black Wizard- Emperor
9. Creeping Death- Metallica
10.Berzekers- Black Label motherfucking Society

pretty much anything by slayer is better live than on record.guess that mainly cause they are sooo good live.

the ballad by testament.that was a standout live song when i saw them on the "practise" tour.still remember that,an i'm gettin old now!

I don´t own many live albums, but I can say that I definitely prefer the raw live versions of "Chalice Of Blood", "Forbidden Evil" and "Through Eyes Of Glass" on Forbidden´s "Raw Evil - Live At The Dynamo"-EP to the studio versions on their debut "Forbidden Evil", which sound a bit to "clean" IMO.

I also like Testament´s "Live At Eindhoven"-EP very much, thought I couldn´t really say that I like the live versions better than the ones on "The Legacy".

I know this is the old school forum on Ultimate Metal, but I also like anything by Tori Amos live definitely better than on her studio albums!

HailIron said:
Zombie Ritual- Death Live in LA is far better than the original of course.

RIP CHUCK

Come to think of it.... though I stated that "hair bands" aren't really my thing, Cinderella should have released a live CD. I have seen some bands I consider "elite" like Symphony X and Vanden Plas (not saying that because I like their studio stuff so much, they were THAT good) but I feel very lucky to have seen Cinderella in there prime. Those rough vocals and dual leads were practically perfect. Tom Keifer is highly underrated and is an artist. They could have wrote stuff that was a little more complexed and kept my attention a little better, but they were like machines on stage as far as musical performance while being madmen on stage as far as visual performance. All that guitar flipping and Tom and Jeff picking/fretting each other's guitars was done on stage and they didn't miss one note.

Bryant

Now that you mention Symphony X, this is one of my top 3 bands. The only time they let me down was when they released their live album. I am still very dissapointed with that album. Its the only SymX album I don't have!!

And that while they are absolutely fabilous live. I don't understand how they could have screwed this up. :erk:

SoundMaster said:

There are many songs, over the years, that have kicked more ass as found on a Live album than vs. the studio version.

For me, some examples are:
""Victim of changes", Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East
"We'll Burn the Sky", Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
But, more than any others, MAIDEN'S "Phantom of the Opera", from Live After Death, takes the prize!!!

What's yours?
Live Uli ...Bows