My Judas Priest tapes

Fangface

Child of the Damned
Jan 25, 2002
France
www.fangface.com
I'm listening to my old classics once again in order to be ready for the Metal Gods show coming up this week-end :)
Thus, I'm preparing some good old tapes for the car, 90-94 minutes long each. No I don't have a cd player for the car yet, after all that's old school right? ;) And what can be more old school than finding a way to record the more songs one can before the tape runs out ahah?

Ok, here's my 70s Judas Priest tape first!

Side A : (1975-1977)
Tyrant
Victim of Changes (live)
The Ripper (live)
Dreamer Deceiver / Deceiver (best JP ballad ever?)
Diamonds and Rust (live)
Sinner (live)
Starbreaker (live)
Here Come the Tears
Dissident Agressor

Side B : (1978-1979)
Exciter (live)
Stained Class
Saints in Hell
Beyond the Realms of Death
Delivering the Goods
Rock Forever (live)
Hell Bent for Leather
Burnin' Up (very underrated song! ok the lyrics are plain gay ahah, but who cares really)
Running Wild (live)
Before the Dawn
Green Manalishi (live)

Why the hell "Unleashed in the East" isn't a triple live album? :loco:

On to the 80s Priest tape!

Side A : (1980-1983)
Rapid Fire
Metal Gods (live)
Grinder (live) (actually I prefer the "Ripper version")
Breaking the Law (live)
You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise
Heading Out to the Highway (live)
Desert Plains
The Hellion / Electric Eye (live)
Riding on the Wind
Screaming for Vengeance (should be a classic! or is it?)
You've Got Another Thing Comin' (live)

Side B : (1984-1988)
Freewheel Burning
Jawbreaker
Rock Hard Ride Free
The Sentinel
Turbo Lover (shoot me, I like it :p dumb but catchy)
Out in the Cold
Hot for Love (maybe my favorite song from Turbo, underrated! It could have been on DOTF)
Ram It Down
Blood Red Skies

Let's go on with the 90s tape :

Side A : The whole Painkiller album, as I'm not sure they released something else after this one :D :D :D

Side B : well, let's fit the space available with some great songs not already recorded on the previous tapes, how about calling them the killer B's!
Never Satisfied (best song from their first album to me, along with "Run of the Mill")
Genocide (live)
Epitath (superb Queen-like little song)
Call for the Priest / Let Us Prey (criminally unknown song, now that's early speed metal!)
Savage
Evening Star (a bit poppy but pretty cool nevertheless)
Devil's Child (iiii'm the deeeeviiiiiiils chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild)
Some Heads Are Gonna Roll
Rock Around the World
Johnny B. Goode (I know some people hate it, still I love this cover version)

more than 270 minutes of screaming Heavy Metal :loco: :hotjump: :headbang:

Good selection Flo (damn bastard is going to see JP and I''m not
25.gif
)

"Unleashed In The East" should have been double at least!

I prefer 'Before The Dawn' as a ballad over 'Dreamer Deceiver' (I like Skyclad version a lot).

I don't like 'You Don't Have to be Old to be Wise', I would have put 'Steeler', 'Bloodstone', 'Reckless', or 'Hard As Iron' instead.

Most probably is not going to happen, but I would like to see Rob taking on 'Dead Meat', 'Cathedral Spires', 'Machine Men', 'Close To You' few of the acceptable songs from the Tim (poor guy) Owens era.

I like it when I see that you have a good grip on the 70s Priest. And yes! Burning up is underrated. It's also an old favorite of mine.

What about "The Rage" from British Steel? Great song. Naa they won't play that live, will they?

Great that your going to see Priest!! Please let us know how it was.

I'm not too fond of "Steeler" but I might add "Bloodstone" yeah...
It will be more difficult for "Hard As Iron", those tapes are only 47 mins long for each side.
"The Rage" is cool too, have you heard Iron Savior's cover? They're specialized in Judas Priest cover songs ahah.

As for the Ripper era, I do like some songs (from Jugulator, I can't stand Demolition), but there are already so many old jewels to exhume that I don't want to hear any post-Rob stuff live. Am I an integrist or what? :oops:

Jezusjan said:
nice list of songs on your tapes :)
but what about 'eat me alive' from the Defenders of the Steel album?
Ahem, hmm. "Defenders Of The Faith", 1984. Best Judas Priest album ever IMO. :D

Wyvern said:
Ahem, hmm. "Defenders Of The Faith", 1984. Best Judas Priest album ever IMO. :D
Ooo yea, great album! The Sentinel rules all!!
Jawbreaker has also been a long favorite of mine. I was damn happy when Halford added it to his live set!

I've just listened to the British Steel remaster, and I'm reconsidering "The Rage" and "Steeler", I might add one of them in place of "You Don't have...".
This remaster sounds so much better than the original cd by the way, and the tracklist is finally back in its original order.

"Eat Me Alive"? mmm yeah good song, the "problem" is that there are too many good songs on DOTF :) I like them all, except from "heavy duty/dotf".

"Defenders Of The Faith" is the ultimate Priest album to me (I have "Painkiller" second sorry). Maybe because was the one of the first I heard along with "Screaming For Vengeance". Maybe because 'Freewheel Burning', 'Jawbreaker', 'Rock Hard, Ride Free', 'The Sentinel', 'Love Bites' just got me by the throat and never let me go since.

For whatever reason DOTF will always be Judas Priest, kings of fucking metal (like Byff said in a concert).

P.S. Curious anecdote. Up to this day I use 'The Sentinel' to tune up a stereo sytem. Wnt I bough my boombox here, I wen to Best Buy with a tape and I blasted in every single system on the store until I found the want I like the sound the best.
48.gif

Wyvern said:
"Defenders Of The Faith" is the ultimate Priest album to me (I have "Painkiller" second sorry). Maybe because was the one of the first I heard along with "Screaming For Vengeance". Maybe because 'Freewheel Burning', 'Jawbreaker', 'Rock Hard, Ride Free', 'The Sentinel', 'Love Bites' just got me by the throat and never let me go since.

For whatever reason DOTF will always be Judas Priest, kings of fucking metal (like Byff said in a concert).

P.S. Curious anecdote. Up to this day I use 'The Sentinel' to tune up a stereo sytem. Wnt I bough my boombox here, I wen to Best Buy with a tape and I blasted in every single system on the store until I found the want I like the sound the best. [IMG]http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/navigator/devil.gif[/IMG]
Yea that album is fucking great!! One of the best for sure. Especially "The Sentinel" That song must be among my favorite 3 Priest songs.

But please don't forget "Stained Class" That was the first Priest album I heard. It's got "Exciter", "Beter by You Better than me", "Stained Class", "Savage" and "Beyond the Realms of Death". In short that album kills as well!

Btw. I love the version of "Stained Class" that Halford did on his live album. Did you ever hear that one?

Hawk said:
Btw. I love the version of "Stained Class" that Halford did on his live album. Did you ever hear that one?
Killer version indeed, even if Rob's vocals were in a better shape during the 70s IMO.
Stained Class -> essential album for any Metalhead.

OK, I'm leaving in a few hours for Italy..... Judas Priest, Wasp, Nevermore, UFO, Alice Cooper, Testament, Twisted Sister and a few more await, it should be a cool week-end :loco:

Have fun on the forum too folks!

Fangface said:
OK, I'm leaving in a few hours for Italy..... Judas Priest, Wasp, Nevermore, UFO, Alice Cooper, Testament, Twisted Sister and a few more await, it should be a cool week-end :loco:

Have fun on the forum too folks!
Rock on Bro" and have fun.

Let us know how it was OK? :wave:

Damn Frog, bon voyage and careful with the pasta :lol:

Damn it!! I have waited for a very long time to see Priest (W/Halford), I have to wait for August, they are touring with Twisted Sister & Tesla. I wont be able to see both of the tours. So I'll be missing out on Slayer and Dimmu!

Sinner Rider said:
Damn it!! I have waited for a very long time to see Priest (W/Halford), I have to wait for August, they are touring with Twisted Sister & Tesla. I wont be able to see both of the tours. So I'll be missing out on Slayer and Dimmu!

I'll be seeing Priest in August as well. They're touring up here with Slayer. Now, since I'll be seeing Slayer in about 2 weeks, I would LOVE it if Priest were touring with Twisted Sister up here as well. Those guys fucking ROCK live, and I haven't seen them since the mid-80s!!

Enjoy, miss Sinner Rider! :kickass:

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Back from Italy, safe with a burnt nose ahah (damn sun!)

And you know what? I think I have a new answer for the usual "What's the best concert you've ever seen" question ;)

It was like going back to my very first steps in Metal, after years and years hoping that the dream would become true. I truly couldn't believe my eyes (and ears) that was real, at last!!! I'm not the kind of guy who often cries because of music you know, but... sometimes you can't control your emotions.

Welcome back Rob, thanks to the Metal Gods for this unforgetable event.

:worship:

Fangface said:
Back from Italy, safe with a burnt nose ahah (damn sun!)

And you know what? I think I have a new answer for the usual "What's the best concert you've ever seen" question ;)

It was like going back to my very first steps in Metal, after years and years hoping that the dream would become true. I truly couldn't believe my eyes (and ears) that was real, at last!!! I'm not the kind of guy who often cries because of music you know, but... sometimes you can't control your emotions.

Welcome back Rob, thanks to the Metal Gods for this unforgetable event.

:worship:
OMG! If *you* say this I'll have to see them! Soon! :headbang:

Don't forget that I'm a die hard fan, I may be not very objective ;)
The setlist could have been a bit more punchy and original (only classics), apart from that I'm very happy with the show as it is. I plan on seeing them again by the end of the month.