Your Favorite China Cymbal?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
Right now, I have a Sabian AAX 18" China on my set, and I HATE it.

It sounds like a more refined Wuhan to me, and I just don't like it at all. Not the sound I'm going for. I really like the Small China that I have on my SSD EX, but I just can't seem to find a similar tone in a real setting.

Please keep in mind, that the last sample is a much better sample (SSD)... The first 3, I just threw up 2 mics randomly and hit record, cause I'm lazy :err: However, even though they sound like utter crap... they're pretty close to the real thing (though in person, they are a bit deeper). The tracks are all MIDI triggered, so please excuse the weird cut-offs on them, I didn't feel like properly processing them for samples, just not in the mood today! Drums are SSD as well.

Here's the clip:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4018922/China Samples.mp3

1. Sabian AAX 18" China (ew)
2. Sabian AAX 12" China (I'm fine with this as an accent, it was only $15 ;) )
3. Saluda Mist 10" SPLASH!
4. SSD Small China (X-B)

The Splash is surprisingly close to what I want, but it's only 10" and is very thin. I'm afraid it'll get demolished in no time if I use it as my main "breakdown" cymbal :( I'll need something at least 16", preferably 18"+.

I know most of you guys here are guitarists (and I am as well), but being that a lot of you record bands, and probably have your own set in the studio, I was hoping maybe some of you have some insight as to what might be good for me.

I was thinking maybe a Zildjian Oriental Trash, but a bunch of people say these aren't for metal... then again, they said my AAX would be perfect and it sounds like I'm being stabbed in the ears by 20 knives, it's so damn piercing :guh:

Zildjian 18" Oriental Classic

You shouldn't squash your sounds so much btw. It's pumping horribly.

For me it's normally, the thinner, the trashier. Since I don't want to replace my china's every few weeks I buy the normal range.
I've got AA metal-x 18&20 which I both really like, but both are pretty thick. Another favourite is the aaxtreme. These are the bomb! Aggresive, dirty and awesombly whorish.

I'm a Sabian guy, and get good discounts from the dealer.

Because of that reason I have no other brands. But I got to say I used and like Zildjian Orientals a lot. And, how weird it may sound, Wuhan have nice chinas. Problem is, they allready break when you think of hitting it..

I think it's really personal dude, what ever other people suggest you might not like.

I'm endorsed by TRX cymbals and they have some great chinas. I was also with Bosphorus cymbals before then, pretty good. I like the Sabian AAX and HHX chinas! Try some of the Meinl ones

Get on the Sabian/Zildjian/Paiste websites, they all have sound samples of their cymbals.

Unfortunately, that's what I did when I got this cymbal, and it sounds nothing like the samples on their site, so I don't feel comfortable trusting those now, I want people who have actual experience that can tell me a china that sounds closest to the last one in the clip ;)

i really like the stagg china's

Hmm, I'll definitely check them out - I was under the impression that they were basically the same as Wuhan though?

I like the cheap Wuhan chinas. I think we had an 18" in the studio the other week that sounded amazing.

Hmm, really?

I had an 18" Wuhan before this, and it sounded very close to my Sabian. This cymbal sounds more like a harsh gong, instead of a trashy china. Best way I can describe it, is hitting a pole with another piece of metal :tickled:

I don't remember disliking the Wuhan nearly as much... but then again I paid like $40 for it, can you really complain at that price?

I'm most definitely not a drummer, but I purchased an 18" Zildjan ZHT China a while back for my drummer, and it's sounds pretty good and is very cheap.
I got it for $110 USD in-store at Guitar Center.

paragon-19chinacrash.gif