Your Favorite Death Metal Vocalists

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
It's a craft I have so much respect for, and it's hard to master well. My top 10:

1: Peter Tägtgren

2: Mikael Åkerfeldt

3: Tobias Netzell

4: Frank Mullen

5: Tomas Lindberg

6: Dan Swanö

7: John Tardy

8: Chuck Schuldiner

9: Lars Goran Petrov

10: Jeff Walker

Curious to hear yours!

in no particular order.

Bill Steer (first 3 Carcass albums)
Aaron Stainthorpe (My Dying Bride)
Steven Tucker
Chris Barnes (Cannibal Corpse stuff)
Chris Reifert
Martin Van Drunen

Tomas Lindberg
Dan Swano
Paul Kuhr
Spiros Antoniou
Mikael Akerfeldt

I hate when the "trick" is audible which is true with 90% of the growlers nowadays.
I loathe the breeee trend. Sounds like the kid next door trying to impress his retarded friends to me.
I also hate when it sound like an endless burp in the background with no audible words or inflections.

Wow, suprised to see so many people name Peter, his voice was always a bit too shrill for my ears.
And as much as I love Nergal's vocals on record, he seems a bit underwhelming live from the videos I've seen.

In no particular order

1. AJ Magana (so powerful)

2. David Vincent (up to covenant, check "Brainstorm")

3. Frank Mullen

4. Jason Mendonca (The most versatile vocalist in metal imo (any sub-genre))

5. Lord Worm

6. Luc Lemay (At his best, absolutely haunting)

7. Mikael Akerfeldt (Don't like his singing or his dm vocals in Opeth, but he destroys in Bloodbath)

8. Matti Karki

9. Ross Dolan (Probably the most unique on this list, especially on IEF)

10. Glen Benton

So many more you could mention though...
Does anyone have a particular performance that sticks out?
Would be interested to hear them...

In no particular order:

Peter Tagtgren is a legend on:

Masse Broberg fucking slays everything and everyone on:

Johan Hegg (i'm surprised none of you pussies mentioned him... ;) )

Tomi Koivusaari on:

Bart Smits (pity they went pop and exchanged him for that chick)

Mikael Akerfeldt

Mikko Kotamäki

Last edited by a moderator:
i love tägtgren's work as a producer, but i never liked his vocals

+1 to chuck schuldner and mikael akerfeldt

most of you probably hate him, but i somehow like chris barnes a lot

Chris barnes was, and still is to an extent, great. Very intelligible, but gnarly with it. Also anyone who can make the lyrics on The Bleeding catchy deserves a mention, it's obscene how catchy that shit is.
His voice is fucking shot though.

Tomi Joutsen - Amorphis
Mikael Akerfeldt - Opeth
Dan Swanö - Edge Of Sanity + tons more
Ola Lindgren - Grave
Fernando Ribeiro - Moonspell

top of my head and in no order

Fernando Ribeiro is no doubt one of the best, Moonspell should be bigger than they are, unique and great band. The guy is powerful as fuck, seeing them live gives you proof it´s no studio magic.

Also, Aj Magana, Mikael Akerfeldt (although on the Royal Albert Hall Dvd and that famous Bloodbath video from the latest Dvd he sucks at growls), Aaron Stainthorpe is also one of my favorite voices ever, both growled and sung.

/\ Dude I saw Defeated Sanity the other day, and Konni is fucking sick.
Really powerful, with a similar sort of voice to AJ. Should be great on their next release!
I was also gonna mention Matti Way and Levi Fuselier too. Definitely my favorite guys in that vein.
Also, on a side note, what do you think of the new Disgorge line-up? (No Diego/Ed) and have you heard the Obscured Secretions demo?

/ Dude I saw Defeated Sanity the other day, and Konni is fucking sick.
Really powerful, with a similar sort of voice to AJ. Should be great on their next release!
I was also gonna mention Matti Way and Levi Fuselier too. Definitely my favorite guys in that vein.
Also, on a side note, what do you think of the new Disgorge line-up? (No Diego/Ed) and have you heard the Obscured Secretions demo?

wut? I thought "To Vomit violently" was the "new disgorge lineup" but that´s got Diego and Ed hahaha I´m out of the loop on Brutal Death metal ever since I left Intestinal Infection, those guys always kept me informed :lol: Matti and Levi are great as well, but I think Aj is the best IMO, Consume is my favorite album and one of my favorite Death metal albums ever, the production is perfect, POD guitars or not, I love it. The guitars on the Intestinal Infection Ep (I posted it some time ago here) are POD trying to imitate Disgorge, my guitarist got in touch with Ed and got him to spill the beans on his POD preset :lol: obviously it sounds very different from the disgorge tone.

Disgorge in Wikipedia said:
Early May 2011 Ricky Myers announced the that Disgorge is working on their new album, "And The Weak Shall Perish". The new lineup will include: Levi Fuselier, Ricky Myers, Erik Lindmark (DEEDS OF FLESH), Derek Boyer (SUFFOCATION, DECREPIT BIRTH).

Honesly, I think it could be killer, I'm now looking forward to it, excellent lineup

Good call on Aaron Stainthorpe and Paul Kuhr.

I'll add some more honorable mentions:

Bo Summer - Illdisposed

Johan Lindstrand - The Crown

George Oosthoek - Orphanage

Honesly, I think it could be killer, I'm now looking forward to it, excellent lineup

It could be definitely be great, all guys involved are fucking stellar.
But I don't have any idea what it's going to sound like.
To Violently Vomit is basically just Ed and Diego playing Disgorge songs live (hence the name).
I'm slightly confused about these two bands, but I think Obscured Secretions is what they are writing new music for, rather than TVV (they've got Matti too).

I love the production on CTF but I wish the guitars were as clear as they are on Parallels, (Asphyxiation of Thee Oppressed - 1:13 = :yell:)

Sorry for dragging this OT :Spin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mikael Akerfeldt

Tommy Rogers

Christian Älvestam

Tomas Lindberg

Anders Fridén (first 3 albums of In Flames)

Chris Barnes

George Fisher

Tobias Netzell