Your Favorite Death Metal Vocalists

I think chuck Billy is the best thrash metal vocalist around, guy gan actually sing and sound mean as fuck unlike other thrashers who just shriek like a grandma, but he isn't a death metal vocalist AFAIK, and if you read the thread title it kinda makes sense he hasn't been mentioned

Indeed.
Chuck Billy is in Testament, a band associated with thrash metal.
When I think death metal vocalists, Chuck Billy doesn't come to mind at all.

Well yeah at least Randy is still growling in a way, Chuck sings. Not trying to be nazi though, just pointing it out

He still does death vocals in many songs. He does sing too, but that doesn't mean he can't be someone whos death vocals I favor! Way to niche it out :p

And Randy Blythe is a questionable one HOW??

They just aren't death metal vocals to my ears, it's more screaming than "vokills" (i love that term, so retarded :lol:).
I suppose the vocals on "New American Gospel" could be, but the majority of them aren't I don't think.

I think chuck Billy is the best thrash metal vocalist around, guy gan actually sing and sound mean as fuck unlike other thrashers who just shriek like a grandma, but he isn't a death metal vocalist AFAIK, and if you read the thread title it kinda makes sense he hasn't been mentioned

He's not bad at it actually but yeah, not the most obvious pick. He used that vocal range a lot on Demonic.

Last edited by a moderator:
There just isn't any personality in it, compared to someone like Lord Worm:

None so vile era Lord worm was killer. Anything after that was pretty horrible. I was always a bigger fan of whisper supremacy/ and then you'll beg era cryptopsy either way. That new one they did with him was... questionable.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Karl Sanders or Dallas Toler-Wade from Nile. They share vocal duties about 50/50, and they've both always been favorites of mine.

The rest of my list would include:

Mikael Akerfeldt
Nergal
Trevor Strnad
And although not really death metal, Daniel Weyandt from Zao is pretty brutal.

Karl's low growls are ridiculous, and I love bands that use more than one vocalist at once.
Dying Fetus and Carcass do it really well too...

Karl's low growls are ridiculous, and I love bands that use more than one vocalist at once.
Dying Fetus and Carcass do it really well too...

Yeah, but I like the vocals of the Bass player a lot more then the other guys...
especially in that song

I love Karl's vocals, they sound like a thousand year old mummy decaying in the wind and sand (yeah it sounds exactly that and I know how decaying mummys sound like so stfu) but I like it in short bursts, they fit perfectly with Nile but I would get bored if it was the main voice all the time. I never liked Dallas' voice, to me Vesano was the best, and all the bassists they've had top Dallas, needs more brootz.

Edit: I never liked Bill Steers voice too much, Jeff Walker on the other hand is one of my favorites

Glen Benton, David Vincent, Steve Tucker and Mikael Åkerfelt I guess would be my favs. Not to be an douche, but I actually like my own voice alot on the Cadaverize stuff.

Worm on NSV and Mads Haarløv (Iniquity) are my honorable mentions.

Worm was good on Blasphemy Made Flesh too, remember that 30 second long scream?

Mago, Johns voice is perfect for the sort of staccato rhythms that he does, I love it.
You can't really do any other type of vocal over slam riffing.
Having said that, I do remember hearing it when I was like 13ish and loling/voming

I can't believe no-one else has mentioned Ross Dolan....

And when you guys are saying Glen Benton, do you mean old or new? because they are pretty different.

Yeah, but I like the vocals of the Bass player a lot more then the other guys...
especially in that song

TBH I haven't followed Dying Fetus since Destroy the Opposition, but that song fucking SLAYS.