your favorite scale

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Not that I'm a music geek, but I've been studying exotic-sounding scales lately and I've found one that I must say is both a bit of a challenge and fun as hell to play: the E Phrygian Dominant scale. I asked my instructor the other day for some recommendations for a Middle Eastern-sounding scale and he recommended that I study this, as it's good for ppl newly exposed to exotic scales. It gives that stereotypical Middle Eastern-sounding melody when you play it and I find myself toying with it for hours on end.

It's really, really simple to remember and although there are a few stretches here and there, it's a blast to play.

E F G# A B C D

See? The only thing that changes is the G#, but it really makes a difference. Highly recommended for guitarists!

What's your favorite scale?

I'll give you an example of this one, John. Trust me, you'll love it. Starting at the fifth fret:

E 7 - 8 - 10
B 6 - 9 - 10
G 5 - 7 - 9
D 6 - 7 - 9
A 5 - 7 - 8
E 5 - 7 - 8

Just play this scale and then you can figure it out for other positions. The melody is really easy to recognize. Trust me, man...you'll be playing this shit for hours.

No matter how far I stray into the universe of weird scales and modes I always come back to the blues scale... that's where the magic is.

We're experimenting a lot with exotic sounding scales in the band recently, though. One of our newest, unfinished songs is basically built around the a harmonic minor scale.

when ever im playing my Jens Johansson lead i always play in a blues-y scale, it sounds amazing.

and every time i come across a middle eastern split i play something in harmonic minor.

every thing else is G maj or E maj.

im not even sure if this is right...i phail at music theory.

Not that I'm a music geek, but I've been studying exotic-sounding scales lately and I've found one that I must say is both a bit of a challenge and fun as hell to play: the E Phrygian Dominant scale. I asked my instructor the other day for some recommendations for a Middle Eastern-sounding scale and he recommended that I study this, as it's good for ppl newly exposed to exotic scales. It gives that stereotypical Middle Eastern-sounding melody when you play it and I find myself toying with it for hours on end.

It's really, really simple to remember and although there are a few stretches here and there, it's a blast to play.

E F G# A B C D

See? The only thing that changes is the G#, but it really makes a difference. Highly recommended for guitarists!

What's your favorite scale?

It's just a mode of the harmonic minor scale. It's not complicated. Don't get confused when people try to lie to you and tell that it's another scale, but it's really just the same scale that has a different name.

My faves are the Dorian and the Phrygian scale I think. To get the idea you should get behind a piano and play a chord with your left hand.
If you want to try it just play the white keys with right and D A (perfect five) with left. That's Dorian (as used in Scarborough Fair e.g.). White keys with right and F C (also perfect five) with left. That's Phrygian (as used in the the Simpsons tune e.g.)

It's just a mode of the harmonic minor scale. It's not complicated. Don't get confused when people try to lie to you and tell that it's another scale, but it's really just the same scale that has a different name.

Well, I didn't wanna get all music-geeky, but yes, of course it's a mode of the harmonic minor scale; hence the name E PHRYGIAN DOMINANT.

Nothing to be confused about. I didn't call it the E major scale or anything. The word Phrygian Dominant should be a clue that it's a mode. No one's trying to lie to anyone; that particular mode of that particular scale creates the sound I was looking for, so I use it.

Are we talking favorite guitar tuning? (CGCGCE)

or favorite actual scale? C D E F# G# A# C

Well, I didn't wanna get all music-geeky, but yes, of course it's a mode of the harmonic minor scale; hence the name E PHRYGIAN DOMINANT.

Nothing to be confused about. I didn't call it the E major scale or anything. The word Phrygian Dominant should be a clue that it's a mode. No one's trying to lie to anyone; that particular mode of that particular scale creates the sound I was looking for, so I use it.

Yeah, I was just saying. I wasn't saying you were wrong or anything.

I used to think of modes that way, but I realized it was pointless because it's just the same scale with a different name, so I was trying to save you some time, hahahahaha.

I like to think of them all as Major scales (because it's just easier for me that way), so I think of it as a Harmonic Major scale. It's a useful scale.

Peace!

:headbang:

scale2.jpg