Your favourite drum production?

SculptedCold

-scented manbeef-
May 9, 2002
Edinburgh, Scotland
Meh, self-explanatory question. I'm listening to Slipknot's self-titled right now and it just struck me how absolutely perfect the drum production is. Extremely clean and stripped-down; absolutely streamlined. Loud enough for each beat to be crystal clear regardless of how fast the fills are, but not in any way intrusive on the music.

Another favourite at the moment is the drum machine sound on Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God; the bass drum on that album is especially impressive with all that reverb and echo, but a heavy and thick hit at the center. It sounds apocalyptic and doomy during the slower sections, like a marching death knell in the distance.

Any drum productions that stick-out to anyone particularly?

The drums on Dekapitator's - We Will Destroy...You Will Obey! are fucking HEAVY, and clear, and you can hear every piece of the kit. Just great, heavy production.

SlaughterofSoul said:
The drums on Dekapitator's - We Will Destroy...You Will Obey! are fucking HEAVY, and clear, and you can hear every piece of the kit. Just great, heavy production.

fuck yeah!!! that album is perfect!

I also love the drums on the South of Heaven album, on Demolition hammers Epidemic of violence... etc...

Anything that sounds natural. Agalloch "The Mantle" has great drums... The bass drum actually sounds like a bass drum... what a novel idea! 70's stuff I suppose... Recent Darkthrone. Anything that's analog-sounding and not triggered (though there's a place for that too -- Vinterland "Welcome my Last Chapter" and Katatonia "For Funerals to Come..." utilize trigged drums well as an effect...)

More... Skepticism "Farmakon" -- atmospheric. Clear. Evoken "Embrace the Emptiness" -- best use of ridiculous amounts of reverb. Fucking DOOM to no end.

I like Barker's drum production on Dimmu's PEM and with Old Man's Child...although the trigger is just a little too loud on the bass drum. But I like the overall clarity and punch.

Insision - Beneath the Folds of Flesh
Forest of Impaled - Forward the Spears
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Death - The Sound of Perseverance
Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence
And REAL sounding drums like:
Judas Iscariot - Dethroned, Conquered and Forgotten
Judas Iscariot - To Embrace the Corpses Bleeding
Weltmacht - And to Every Beast its Prey

Blut Aus Nord "Work Which Transforms God" and Metallica "...and Justice for All" are two of my favorites as well. I love the tight and clean sound of Burzum "Filosofem" as well...

Another favourite at the moment is the drum machine sound on Blut Aus Nord's The Work Which Transforms God; the bass drum on that album is especially impressive with all that reverb and echo, but a heavy and thick hit at the center. It sounds apocalyptic and doomy during the slower sections, like a marching death knell in the distance.

That and Lymphatic Phlegm's drum machine.

I've got a very strange taste when it comes to drum production. I like both weird sounding, muddy drum production, and machine like triggering - as long as it fits the music. Here are some favourites of mine:

Decapitated - Nihility
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh and None So Vile
Deeds Of Flesh - Mark Of The Legion
Myrkskog - Superior Massacre
Blood Red Throne - Affiliated With The Suffering
Darkthrone - Ablaze In The Northern Sky