Your First Gig

The Soulforged

I am the Black Wizard
Jun 15, 2005
Somewhere far beyond
i know alot of you are musicans, for those who play gigs can you help me out? My band Beyond Redemption, just booked our first show tonight, it is at a bar in a neighboring city, the "venue" will pay us and we are going to open up for some regional band. (the bassists knows a guy at work who knows them somehow???) well anyway, what was it like playing at your first gig? I'm just really excited, like poppin wood you know..well anyway jsut wanted to know what your past expirences were like? so pretty much share your expirences

oh jeez, I was really nervous on how to perform. You got to think how the audience will react to what you do, what kind of audience you will have, and you have to keep calm. On my first gig, I was sooooooooooo shaky when we were playing. But the crowd managed to get a kick out of our music. Just know that if the audience didn't like it, don't get too down on yourself, cuz there will be plenty of other chances. :)

thanx guys! i seriously think im gonna practice a hell of alot even though i already do.

you guys gotta any stories or anything? liek how did that night go for you guys

The Soulforged said:
thanx guys! i seriously think im gonna practice a hell of alot even though i already do.

you guys gotta any stories or anything? liek how did that night go for you guys
Our first gig was at this club in Los Angeles. We were really nervouse. I was shaking (Like I said before) when I was playing. But luckily, the audience like the music. We played no covers (Being that there was a chance that we would kill one of the songs). Over all, it was a pretty decent night, and we only got better at every one of our shows.

i had the most unsucsussful jam ever today and seeing this thread pisses me off because I dont think I'll ever got on fucking stage :(

Before any show I play I am always perfect and excited til the day of the show. On the day of the show I get super sick. Can't eat or I will puke, all I can do is drink water and piss :lol: I dont know why I be's so nervous but it's fucked. The second I get on stage it's the same, but once we kick into our first song it all goes away and I feel top notch. Don't let any nervousness consume you before the show.

My FIRST show I was super nervous, and vewry nervous on stage, but after the 2nd or 3rd song I felt really comfortable and then it sucked when our time was up. Time flies up there so it's not bad at all. Its really fun.

My advice is if you are feeling nervous in the day time, 5 minutes before you are going on, make sure you take a piss. Cause I always need to piss when I walk on stage :lol:

some times it sucks to be the first one the crowd is dead and look at you like what the fuck, it brings down i know but actually they like it so be patience if your band dont suck ppl will come to you after the gig and tell you positive comments.
second, some times the sound man is a dick and doesn't give a shit that your playing there because you are a warm up any way... once it happened to me that my band was the last out of 3 bands and the crowd basically came to see us the sound man was total dick, he just did some lousy general balance on the first band and that's it, fuck with the rest of 'em...
if it happens to you DON'T be shy to demand to hear your self in monitor or what ever you need! and more important, try to feel your self as it is your place on stage and you do what you do because this is what you supposed to do and everything will go smooth and great

Just keep one thing in mind: YOU are doing the show. Don't stay on stage and looking to your guitar when you're playing and being serious...that's quite boring and I think it's getting more nervous. Move and get crazy I dunno..You'll probably be less nervous.

Deadnight Warrior87 said:
When you get out on stage just say, "we're children of bodom and we come from fucking finland!"

I saw Alexi do it once, and the crowd went crazy for it.
that is very gay to do, i am sorry but its just gay

i understand your good intention though

Playing live is the best high ever!

Just go in with a positive attitude. Don't be nervous. If you're nervous, you're more likely to screw up. Just treat it like band practice and keep a smile on your face, even if only on the inside.

When you begin to feel a little more comfortable with the situation, look around and see the people watching you play. It's the best feeling in the world.

SSJ4SephirothX said:
Playing live is the best high ever!
When you begin to feel a little more comfortable with the situation, look around and see the people watching you play. It's the best feeling in the world.
and fucking addictive too

When you get out on stage just say, "we're children of bodom and we come from fucking finland!"

yeah but they've been playing for 7 years and sold 2 good albums:p

just make sure you practice everything you guys play, always have a backup guitar (A MUST!!!!!) and have a fucking blast

The Soulforged said:
i know alot of you are musicans, for those who play gigs can you help me out? My band Beyond Redemption, just booked our first show tonight, it is at a bar in a neighboring city, the "venue" will pay us and we are going to open up for some regional band. (the bassists knows a guy at work who knows them somehow???) well anyway, what was it like playing at your first gig? I'm just really excited, like poppin wood you know..well anyway jsut wanted to know what your past expirences were like? so pretty much share your expirences

are you from france????

and in between songs say "FUCKING H3AVY M3TAL!!!"