Your go-to Limiter

1317878980_1317867584_1317816235_5843_2_1295479883.jpg

If when you say finalize you mean "self-master", I only put it in quotes because I'm not a mastering engineer, I'd probably take off any limiting before having it sent to be mastered, but when I do my own "mastering" lately I've been happy with Slate FG-X. I used to use the Massey 2007 a lot.

Fabfilter Pro-L

Smoked everything i tried, including Ozone, Slate etc. Be sure using it on x4 oversampling though!

Looks like I gotta give this one a try. I've been using FG-X for quite a while, before that was using Ozone. I was thinking about picking up the Sonnox Limiter now that it's had a serious price drop at Sweetwater. I've always liked that plug in, I was able to get really loud mixes with it and that enhance slider, I've never heard anything else like it, but it was always a bit too expensive for my liking.

I'm a bit worried about using FabFilter plug ins in my mixes ever since I demoed their EQ plug in and felt it colored my tracks too much (wasn't transparent enough), but I did fall in love with their gui. Pro-L does look sweet especially being able to see the amount of gain reduction right in the waveforms. I've never seen a limiter gui quite like it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. As always, much appreciated.

Looks like I gotta give this one a try. I've been using FG-X for quite a while, before that was using Ozone. I was thinking about picking up the Sonnox Limiter now that it's had a serious price drop at Sweetwater. I've always liked that plug in, I was able to get really loud mixes with it and that enhance slider, I've never heard anything else like it, but it was always a bit too expensive for my liking.

I'm a bit worried about using FabFilter plug ins in my mixes ever since I demoed their EQ plug in and felt it colored my tracks too much (wasn't transparent enough), but I did fall in love with their gui. Pro-L does look sweet especially being able to see the amount of gain reduction right in the waveforms. I've never seen a limiter gui quite like it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. As always, much appreciated.

Why do you want to stop using Slate FG-X ??? I sure dont see why people arent in love with it. It always sounds good to me.

My "mastering" is just getting shit loud. I normally just go to W1 because it's worked pretty well for me. And, compared to L1, it seems to use less CPU.

So basically I don't even rank. :lol:

Why do you want to stop using Slate FG-X ??? I sure dont see why people arent in love with it. It always sounds good to me.

The compromises you have to make to get your final mix to be loud, keep the music punchy and most importantly for FG-X, introduce the least amount of additional noise into the mix.

For the most part, it's been doing the job, but even Slate said FG-X 2 was going to improve the base plug in where he knows it has weaknesses. Even if they are on the users end of how to work the plug in.

I've been looking forward to FG-X 2 for quite some time. I was just interested if there was a major consensus of a different tool that might be widely accepted.

I used the Pro-L for a bit, and actually stacked it with FG-X. I could only push FG-X so far without it coloring the mix, and used the Pro-L for the last few dbs (plus like the metering way better, GUI in general on the Fab stuff). I think the AOM Invisible is cleanest, so be sure to try that - it's just not as feature filled as Pro-L.

The compromises you have to make to get your final mix to be loud, keep the music punchy and most importantly for FG-X, introduce the least amount of additional noise into the mix.

For the most part, it's been doing the job, but even Slate said FG-X 2 was going to improve the base plug in where he knows it has weaknesses. Even if they are on the users end of how to work the plug in.

I've been looking forward to FG-X 2 for quite some time. I was just interested if there was a major consensus of a different tool that might be widely accepted.

+1 I love FG-X, but man, I have to work a lot harder to get the levels I need. On the upside, it's made me think about my low end balance a lot more.

Based on this thread, I don't think I'll wait for FG-X 2; I'm just going to invest in the pro L.