"Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground" - Now Online!

You are hearing things. Woods of Ypres' winter music is handclap free.

:)

Ass slapping?

< /REALLY old joke >

it is REALLY cool to see how this song has like evolved from the first time hearing it way back at the first Day Of The Equinox, and then like each additional show since, pretty much been spinning it once a day since it was posted, killer song, classic lyrics which inspire thought... yeah you guys are so going to explode when this record is done.

sdmf2 - man, some of those Braveboard posters are really ripping into the lyrics

What? Those 3 negative fucks? btw - No thanks for posting that here. How about mentionig how much good feedback the new songs are getting? There's always going to be schmucks on the braveboard who pride themselves in being assholes and not liking something because other people like it, even if it's good. btw - if you pride yourself in being an asshole, I'd advise you not to listen to Woods of Ypres at all, because you probably won't like it, nor do we want your support, don't need it.

Do you ever see me or any of the other guys in Woods ever talking shit about local Toronto metal bands that we don't like? No, because we don't give a shit about bands we don't like! When other local metal band guys post negative comments about us, it shows that they DO 'care' about us, you know? Turds.

btw - I finally have to mention how fucking sad I think it is when there are people in the local scene who talk to me personally at shows and shit, and then go on metal forums to get 'picky' and post about little details of songs that bother them, talk horseshit about us and make a bunch of assumptions about things they know nothing about. I can hold the iron grudge! :heh:

Lastly, IMO, "Woods 3" destroys "Woods 1", 3 times over! I can't wait until this album is out! :cool:

What? Those 3 negative fucks? btw - No thanks for posting that here. How about mentionig how much good feedback the new songs are getting? There's always going to be schmucks on the braveboard who pride themselves in being assholes and not liking something because other people like it, even if it's good. btw - if you pride yourself in being an asshole, I'd advise you not to listen to Woods of Ypres at all, because you probably won't like it, nor do we want your support, don't need it.

Do you ever see me or any of the other guys in Woods ever talking shit about local Toronto metal bands that we don't like? No, because we don't give a shit about bands we don't like! When other local metal band guys post negative comments about us, it shows that they DO 'care' about us, you know? Turds.

btw - I finally have to mention how fucking sad I think it is when there are people in the local scene who talk to me personally at shows and shit, and then go on metal forums to get 'picky' and post about little details of songs that bother them, talk horseshit about us and make a bunch of assumptions about things they know nothing about. I can hold the iron grudge! :heh:

Lastly, IMO, "Woods 3" destroys "Woods 1", 3 times over! I can't wait until this album is out! :cool:

This will probably get deleted instantly but here it goes.

When you release a demo that got so much great attention and praise as woods 1 did, then follow up with an album which is basically a totally different band, you cant NOT expect for some people to voice thier opinions.

When you post something on the internet, what do you expect to get? heh. Dave you've gotten hate mail and much worse bashing then this. Shit talking only makes more people listen to your band. Half those people will end up going "oh, woods dosent suck, what was that person thinking?

I do agree with you that people bash local bands a lot for no reason. I agree that there is no point of even talking about a band in a negative light. The braveboards are brutal for that. I started a message board where bashing of bands is not allowed.

Woods is getting big enough where you have fans that are so dedicated and die hard, that it creates a sub group of people who hate Woods because of these die hard fans. It sucks, but It happens.

well said bro !!! why will it get deleted ? i dont get it ! people are aloud to say whatever they want about music .. we get it all the time .. we just ignore it and keep shredding man ! the production is very good man Dan did a greeat job on it guitars sound sick !!! cheers that is all ... . . :headbang:

While I agree with most of what you say, as being a fellow musician I'm sure you understand the child like attributes of releasing a song, or an album for that matter.

What would you do if you had a kid, and then another, while everyone was praising your first child, they couldnt bear to pay any attention to the second and disrespected it infront of you.

Right..shit comparison..

:cool:

I wasnt trying to say that theres no good feedback or anything. Obviously there is on braveboard and on other forums such as this. I was just commenting on how narrow-minded some of those guys were. but like you said, there will always be people that make dicks of themselves by nitpicking a band or people that just dont get it. The important thing is that Woods 3 will destroy them all.:kickass:

Heh, well after all that I don't really know what to say... I like the new tracks a lot, especially Your Ontario Town... Funny cause, having grown up here in Ontario I guess the song applies to me a fair bit...

And fuck the haters. But hey, it could be worse. You guys could be gettin the Blabbermouth treatment eh?

Love and Peace

Yeah, way to "hold the grudge" as you say Dave, some people are just really friggin picky, which is a shame. And by the sounds of it, Woods III will indeed destroy Seasons, I mean, that album is great, but you can see how the song writing is developing, and eventually gets amazingly awesome on II, and from the snips of III. But don't worry, you've got a whole board here who adores you :p

I personally don't think being picky is the issue, as I think it's important to be picky when critiquing any art form, particularly if it's one that you love.

There have been too many times as a metal fan that I've been complacent with purchasing and not more discerning.

Regardless of the changes/progressions/digressions/transgressions/regressions that Woods takes, there is very clearly a lyrical element that has remained pretty steady, and the sound of the band, albeit different album to album, is still unmistakeably Woods.

With two distinct albums under their belts, and these teaser songs, I can honestly say that given their brief but remarkable history (to these ears), they are easily one of those bands whose stylistic shifts I look forward to-- it's not like a band like Bad Religion or AC/DC that is good at what they do and utilizes a pretty similar formula through their careers-- the change IS the formula.

Here's what I wrote on the other board in response to some recent hate post (that's now been deleted I see!) from a guy in another local Ontario band no less ("Your Ontario Town is a Buraial Ground", indeed!). I wanted to share this here. Please enjoy! :)

For the record, we've never been totally black metal, that much should be obvious. We could never totally relate with that scene. At most, we are a "Black & Doom" band, only meaning that we have elements from those styles (blasts, cold riffs and black vocals, but also slow songs and clean vocals too). We are 'doom influenced black metal', or 'black influenced doom metal'. I am a big doom metal fan. I mostly listened to Amorhis, Type O, Crowbar, Anathema, Katatonia, etc... and most of the 'black and white' straight up black metal bores ME to tears.

Woods of Ypres is band is about change. We're not 'trying' to be 'this' or 'that', to try to please anyone. We are genuinely ourselves, making the music that we want to make and no one can say that we're not. We'll never re-write the same album twice, nor could we put ourselves through it really if we weren't into it. "Woods 3" will be different from our earlier stuff and then "Woods 4" will be different from all of it too (just watch!). The people who dig it understand what we're doing and see the connections between the albums. That's the plan, always has been! It's the result of experience and progress. If you want "Against the Seasons", go listen to it and enjoy it (and thank you!), but it would not be a good idea for us to try to re-write in any style if that's not what were feeling anymore. What we're doing now is real. It is a natural progression. Etc... That's honesty, without shit talking anyone.

Regardless, people are noticing what we are doing, and we like doing it.

+ IMO, "Woods 3" destroys "Woods 1", in all ways, 3 times over.

DG

I've not yet listened to any of the new songs, I'm going to wait until I get my grubby hands on the album, and then Bam! I'll be blown away in a blizzard of ice and winterness of Immortal like proportions! And don't pay heed to those fudgepackers on the Braveboard, you rock Dave.

You make a good point Dave. And in all honesty, out of the three songs on your myspace, they don't sound too far removed from the ideas of Woods II, like, they aren't THAT different, which personally is excellent, cause you're keeping a general theme and style. They seem a bit doomier (that is now a word) and colder however, which for a winter album, is good :p I guess what I'm saying is don't worry, you've got an original sound, which is very inspiring, and don't worry what a couple of moronic shitheads say.

idk if this quote applies as much as i see it does, but im sure everyone heard curt cobain's quote "i would rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who im not"

and i mean its good for the band to be genuine, and not faking it, idk if this made any sense to anyone...

idk if this quote applies as much as i see it does, but im sure everyone heard curt cobain's quote "i would rather be hated for who i am, than loved for who im not"

and i mean its good for the band to be genuine, and not faking it, idk if this made any sense to anyone...

makes sense. its a good policy, I think

My computer crashed and I havnt been able to get on it for days. Second I come on I go on this and to my surprise a new song is up on myspace, this is fucking incredible.