your own band website vs. social networking sites

jrt12

Oct 20, 2008
Hell-ay, CA
i wanted to get some input from ya'll... i know that a band has to have their own website and not just use the social networking sites as their page. but i imagine you gotta have a good mix between the two.

for example, i know that most people on this site hate the myspace player for one reason or another. but i wonder if its not worth it to have the myspace player embedded on your own band site to maximize plays. and yes, i know that myspace plays in the end amount to nothing, but it doesnt hurt to have the ticker running does it? or if there's another site with a better player (facebook, imeem, reverbnation?), def let me know what you recommend.

i guess at the end of the day, many of these diff sites have overlapping features, so i'm wondering why i should rebuild these on my own site. and if it isnt more beneficial to utilize the tools already available on other sites. i see some big bands that dont even have anything but a major feeder to the social networking on their own dot com address (like Haste the Day). i'm about to lay down a decent amount of cash to have someone do my site and i'm wondering whats worth the redundancy and what isnt. so i'd love to hear your experience and opinion on this.

have your own bands site is far more professional than a myspace for example. companies and sponsors take you more seriously, fans take it more seriously, etc

generally speaking also, in my experience, far more people who visit my website buy something that people who visit something else

there are some benefits to having a myspace, and other things. but if you have to have only one, a personal/band website is far more beneficial for numerous reasons

+1 for having an official website in addition to a MySpace/etc. page. I don't see why you couldn't have the same stuff on both, music player, news/blog, show calendar and bio. I personally would want both pages to have as much info as possible, redundant or not. YMMV

thanks for the input guys. yea, i agree that i do need to build my own. but i saw a friend of mine who's band is signed to an indie label, and while they have a cool standalone site, their media links send users directly to their others sites, like a videos on their youtube page, music on their myspace, etc. kinda liked the idea, but wanted to know if there was an advantage to rebuilding them on my site or just utilizing the tools from the other pages (myspace, youtube, etc). thanks

oh and digitalmike, i think i've already found the guy to do my site. but just in case, and for anyone else who might be looking for someone, do you have a portfolio online? or other sites you've done?