Social networking sites... *rant within*

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Why doesn't every stupid fucking one just merge into 1??? It's hard enough keeping shit current and up to date on facebook... then twitter... then myspace... then forums... I understand in this day and age the key is to promote and stay current as much as possible... But really. It's fucking ridiculous how much time gets poured into posting on all these fuckhole sites...

I used them almost 100% for promoting and updating people on band related issues. If I wasn't in a band I'd be making my best attempts to burn the house of the creators of twitter and facebook...

/rant

Myspace is dead. It barely ranks on Alexa anymore. Facebook is the reigning KING of social networking and will be for as long as nobody else comes up with something as widespread and streamlined. Personally, I love the platform.

Twitter is, more or less, un-profitable so far, and is super limited in what it can do. Tumblr is too bloggy to be taken seriously by most people, and we're still waiting to see how Ping faires.

The thing about MySpace, though, is that for the 5-7 years that it was huge for, it dominated the scene, and brought music into the play - it was such a huge benefit to bands to be able to be on the same place as what might as well have been their entire potential fan base. No other social network can compare in the same way; even my beloved FB's implementation of band-pages is lame in comparison to how MySpace had it.

For a band, the best way is to go with Social Follow and have it mass-update.

For an individual, sorry, but you're retarded if you're using something other than FaceBook for your social networking (no, I don't really count Twitter as the same thing).

Yeh! I agree Facebook in general is fine... but when you're doing the band thing... fuck! And yes, myspace is great for bands because of customizability and also, the easy music player. I still point people to our myspace because it just feels more like a comfortable website instead of an obtrusive tumor like facebook and twitter :)

I would be glad if everyone just gave up tech freedom and just used the hell out of Google stuff.

You know, Gmail for email, Google for search, Chrome for browser, Buzz for "micro-bloggin", Orkut for social network, Gtalk for messenger, Picasa for pics, Youtube for videos, GoogleMaps for maps, Blogger for blogs, Docs for documents... So much easier to have all the shit in one account.

the next big thing in social networking IS a complete streamlined cloud that combines everything together.

the only company i could see doing it is google, or an upstart in college.

Without myspace, the music scene as we know it would be dead. end of story.

However, no one will ever use myspace for any other reason ever again. The way some people use facebook is sick. You know who I'm talking about. The ones who have to read every one of their "friends" status updates or else they suffer from social connection withdrawals.

You can set up your facebook account to update your twitter account and your myspace account via twitter so that when you post something on facebook, it updates the other two... easy-peasy. Looks like this:

Facebook > Twitter > Myspace

So you only have to post on facebook.

Login to your myspace and your facebook and sync your twitter account to both and you're done.

yeah, i have checked that out actually. I have twitter update facebook currently. lets me update my band page and personal page from the band twitter
fuck personal use :p

tweetdeck lets you control Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Foursquare, Google Buzz and probably some other bullshit you dont care about.

but just sayin

I only use Myspace because of the business. It's still the best in-between method to get a cheap site up with hosting, and have a direct line to bands. Next to word of mouth it's helped facilitate the 2nd largest number of jobs for me.

Fucked if I'll run a personal page on any of these sites. FB is a cancer. Twitter is more like a rectal worm invasion.

I recently got a message on my band's myspace explaining how there's a new way to sync your myspace profile to FB and twitter, making it easier to update all of them. I've been using facebook mainly to promote the band with the myspace still active but the whole "social" aspect of it is dead, it's all done through facebook. I also made a twitter account for the band cause I asked here and a bunch of fags from here told me I'd be insane not to do so hahaha