your top five death metal bands

1. Bloodbath
2. Opeth
3. Edge of Sanity
4. Hypocrisy
5. Zyklon

Oops, I forgot Infestdead, but I will give that honorable mention!

Damn...well that is hard.

In no order I guess this is what I will say for now...

Bloodbath
Ribspreader
Dismember
Entombed
Decapitated (argh this last one to add is tough...I want to say Carnage...or Death...or Morbid Angel...or Cannibal Corpse...etc etc...fucking hell...)

This list would change every time I post it. It is just too difficult to choose 5. So I will list a few extra's that just missed out. My current top 5:

Morbid Angel
Therion (Early)
The Chasm
Necrophobic
Monstrosity

Those that just missed the cut: At the Gates, Dismember, Atheist, Suffocation, Massacra, Entombed, Obituary, Incantation, Arghoslent, Carnage, Vader, Immolation. Ahh f*ck I'm sure I missed something.

EDIT: Bands like Nile, Behemoth, Bloodbath, Hypocrisy would probably make my top 50. Somewhere near the tail end.

Canibal Corpse is garbage. Pure garbage.

I'm going with these five:

Vader
Dismember
Insision
Death
Edge of Sanity

Vader, Dismember and Death are obvious oldschool choices simply because I've always listened to them so much and so damn long. Insision is possibly the best recent DM-band. And Edge of Sanity is just classy.

carcass, macabre (not sure if it fits the death metal tag), cannibal corpse (not the last ones), cryptopsy, gorefest... no particular order

1. Cryptopsy
2. Hypocrisy
3. Insision
4. Suffocation
5. Severed Savior

Insision - One of the most underrated death metal bands

Hypocricy
Morbid Angel
Opeth(ordinarily they would be number one, but they are not simply "death"
Death (Rest in Peace Chuck)
Carcass

My List needs amended after my recent discovery of The Project Hate MCMXCIX. Holy fucking SHIT, wow!

keltoi: opeth are death metal, just PROGRESSIVE death metal, but no1 said strictly pure death metal :p

Opeth are NOT Death metal. They are Progressive metal, and have very few death metal elements aside from the vocals and occasional death metal riff.

1. Gorod
2. Lykathea Aflame
3. Demigod
4. Atheist
5. Psycroptic