your top thrash albums?

alright, Testament's first 2 CDs had pretty cliche lyrics, but Practice and Souls of Black didn't. And Forbidden's lyrics (except for Forbidden Evil and Green) are excellent. I wasn't bashing those albums, I love both of 'em, I just didn't really see his point. Maybe he was comparing to Slayer and DRI or something?

Coroner - Mental Vortex
Coroner - Grin
Kreator - Extreme Aggressions
Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss
Sodom - Agent Orange
Testament - The Ritual
Delirious - Time Is Progress
Annihilator - Two first
Overkill - The years of decay
Mekong Delta - Everything
Megace - Human Errors

and others... don't remember now... Jebiga

Originally posted by jimbobhickville
Forbidden - the first 3, but especially "Twisted Into Form"
Testament - the first 4
Defiance - "Void Terra Firma" and "Beyond Recognition"
Sadus - all but the first one
Megadeth - the first 4
Anthrax - most of 'em
Antithesis - both
Vio-Lence - "Oppressing the Masses"
Sacred Reich - the first 3
Flotsam and Jetsam - the first 3 (weren't really thrash after that, but I still like 'em a lot)
Metallica - through AJFA (if you consider them thrash, which is debatable)
Pantera - "Cowboys From Hell"

alright, I could keep going but I'm getting tired. That covers a lot of the greats.

Cowboys From Hell isn´t trash!!! And where´s your European trash acts??

Are you deaf? Cowboys From Hell is definitely thrash; one of the finest thrash albums I've ever heard. They changed their style on Vulgar Display of Power. I've only heard a few European thrash acts, and they just don't stand up. Kreator is okay, Xentrix is pretty decent, but neither are nearly as good as the ones I mentioned. I'm not trying to say that being European prevents a band from being a great thrash band, I just haven't heard one I'd consider great.

heavier and more intelligent than thrash?

It depends on what you call thrash.

Thrash to me is bands that sing about the crowd, drinking, fights (scanning the scene in the city tonight etc) And they sing about how 'bandname' are going to destroy the world (megadeth, metallica and slayer are all guilty of this in their very early days)

I consider Kill 'em all thrash, just compare it to AJFA, and you'll see what i mean.

Megadeth have never been pure thrash. They were too good musicians to do that. Listen to the ending sections of Wake Up Dead, and tell me that they are a generic thrash band? Or the start of 'Take No Prisoners' (holy fuck that is good...!)

Megadeth and Metallica both had proggy elements on their peak albums (justice and rip), this makes them NOT plain thrash. And Justice For All isn't thrash AT ALL, you need to not think of the band as someone who released thrash albums before.

Are you deaf? Cowboys From Hell is definitely thrash; one of the finest thrash albums I've ever heard. They changed their style on Vulgar Display of Power. I've only heard a few European thrash acts, and they just don't stand up. Kreator is okay, Xentrix is pretty decent, but neither are nearly as good as the ones I mentioned. I'm not trying to say that being European prevents a band from being a great thrash band, I just haven't heard one I'd consider great.

Well, I´m just listening to it. It does have some trashy moments, quite many actually but it doesn´t make it a pure trash record.
It´s more like heavy metal. CFH, Cemetery Gates and Domination are the most wellknown songs of the album and are they thrash??? No way!!!

Now there´s most bullshit what I´ve written...

Trapped you would call Justice proggy? I just call it METAL :)
My copy of Reign In Blood has a sticker on it that says "Best Thrash Record Ever!" so I'm like "I this is the best thrash has to offer it blows" :rolleyes:

Oh, and who cares what songs are the most well know off what CD? If you listen to it and get an overall thrash feel it's thrash. Thrash to me is about really fast riffs and nice and "ripping" sounding guitar tone.

StorTroll and Trapped, you must define thrash differently than me, 'cause I think AJFA and RIP and Cowboys are all thrash. I listen to those CDs, and CDs by Testament, Forbidden, Exodus, Defiance, etc, and they all have a similar sound, enough for me to categorize them the same. Sure, they're all different, but only as different as Death is from Napalm Death, yet both are death metal. Anyhoo, it's not really a big deal.

Some of my top Thrash albums:

FORBIDDEN - Twisted Into Form
EXODUS - Bonded By Blood
OVERKILL - Years Of Decay
TESTAMENT - The Legacy
CORONER - RIP
VIO-LENCE - Eternal Nightmare
MORTAL SIN - Mayhemic Destruction
HEATHEN - Breaking The Silence
VIKING - Do Or Die
SODOM - Persecution Mania
KREATOR - Coma Of Souls
WHIPLASH - Power And Pain
DESTRUCTION - Infernal Overkill
ARTILLERY - Fear Of Tomorrow
SLAYER - Show No Mercy
COVEN - Blessed Is The Black
CARNIVORE - Both !
DARK ANGEL - Darkness Descends

StorTroll and Trapped, you must define thrash differently than me, 'cause I think AJFA and RIP and Cowboys are all thrash

...we must!

...And justice for all isn't thrash to me at all, i would almost consider it as prog-death, the music is pretty damn complicated, and the sound of the record is simply just not thrash.

Just as i would consider Sepultura's Beneath the remains as thrash, and Arise -not- as thrash.

Originally posted by Trapped

...And justice for all isn't thrash to me at all, i would almost consider it as prog-death, the music is pretty damn complicated, and the sound of the record is simply just not thrash.
Complicated my ass...:rolleyes: What complicated? More complicated the Dokken, yes, but not prog-death. Not Death and certainly NOT PROG.

Coroner is complicated. Metallica is just NWOBHM rip-offs in their first albums and then they just wanted to make hits and all. Descent albums all till Ajfa, but not so complicated.

Metal Church were more complicated. (Read: Blessing In Desguise)

S.O.D. "Speak English Or Die"
M.O.D. "U.S.A. For M.O.D."
Slayer "Reign In Blood"
MetallicA "Kill Em All"
MegadetH "Peace Sells But Who's Buying"
TestAmenT "The Legacy"
Sepultura "Beneath The Remains"
The Haunted "The Haunted"
Cannibal Corpse "Eaten Back To Life"
Death "Symbolic"

Descent albums all till Ajfa

Dude... have you tried to play Blackened?? The guitars keep switching between the offbeats and the first beat. It is really hard to work out.

And you wouldn't call the song 'And justice for all' proggy??? Jeeeesus.... Metalman, what has happened to you while you've been away?? :lol:

Originally posted by Trapped

Dude... have you tried to play Blackened?? The guitars keep switching between the offbeats and the first beat. It is really hard to work out.

And you wouldn't call the song 'And justice for all' proggy??? Jeeeesus.... Metalman, what has happened to you while you've been away?? :lol:
Well, dude... Proggy as a definition is for me something really special. Watchtower were proggy. Metalica were just a bit technical. So what? I know that all my friends that take up guitar lessons begin covering metallica cuz they considere them easy to play...
None of them tried to cover Watchtower though... I wonder why... :rolleyes: :lol:

Iced Earth are metallica clones in some points, and I can't call them proggy. (Except some parts in the first three albums, Dante's Inferno for instance).

U know me when it comes to prog. I am too closed minded... :lol: ;)

StorTroll and Trapped, you must define thrash differently than me, 'cause I think AJFA and RIP and Cowboys are all thrash. I listen to those CDs, and CDs by Testament, Forbidden, Exodus, Defiance, etc, and they all have a similar sound, enough for me to categorize them the same. Sure, they're all different, but only as different as Death is from Napalm Death, yet both are death metal. Anyhoo, it's not really a big deal.

I thought Napalm Death was Grindcore.