Your Ultimate Compressors!

I think you guys will enjoy the latest studio diary video. There is at least one of everything mentioned here happening.

What/where?

I've been using the Waves Bluey on vocals lately, but it tends to bring out the ESS/sibilance sounds a bit too much. Any advice from anyone? De-Essing after the fact didn't work so well.

What/where?

I've been using the Waves Bluey on vocals lately, but it tends to bring out the ESS/sibilance sounds a bit too much. Any advice from anyone? De-Essing after the fact didn't work so well.

try de-essing BEFORE the compressor

an original 1176 black face for snare:) also been using a dynamite for the drum buss.

tube tech cl1b for vox.

I did a record once where i used an api 2500 on everything pretty much. not much compression a lot of times none, but used the gain as a volume control so that I kept the console faders at 0 the whole time. Im sure there was some coloration going on. I wish I could own one.

I can never get ssl buss compressors to play nice with me.

for software URS channel strip pro(a couple of the compressor presets are emulations of my actual compressors)

unless you grab the Antress plugs. Honestly, they're rarely used in my small arsenal of plugins, but the distressor gets use sometimes and sometimes I even use the Seventh Sign 1176 clone instead of my UAD 1176 or Stillwell's Rocket :guh:

I was talking about hardware. It's pretty different.

Being a poor man, I like

Voxengo Marquis Compressor (3 settings, its my workhorse)
TLs2095-LA (more for bass/vocals tho)
and PSP MixPressor for drumbus compression, and masterbus.

Woww
I've never tried MixPressor on a single source, but I've just been trying it on snare and its sooooooooooo smooth and the release is so easy to control, you get exactly the amount of ring you want. Awesome.