YT: Fishman Fluence Modern (DIs and backing track included)

Guitar used is neck-through construction with swamp ash body and 3 piece walnut/2 piece maple neck.

It was in the video description btw, I know it's something people should take into account.

Yeah, I wouldn't say costing a "fortune" is quite accurate, I believe they're pretty reasonably priced (plus, you get two pickups in one) and there are several more expensive pickups out there. I got the 7-string set for 230euros (~£175) off ebay. Cheaper than the emg57/66 set (which I was also considering).

I second that. A set of Lundgren cost more and two pickups in one, no one else offer that. I really dislike all the whining of some pickups are expensive on this forum occasionally.. I dont see anybody here whine about expensive guitars. If you want that sound you're after,you pay what it cost. If not, stick with your stockpickups, shut up and play yer guitar.

Dawsons doing them pretty cheap, £149 at the moment, regular price is £179 which is still ALOT cheaper than most places:

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=fishman+fluence+modern

It´s indeed much more affordable.

Yeah, I wouldn't say costing a "fortune" is quite accurate, I believe they're pretty reasonably priced (plus, you get two pickups in one) and there are several more expensive pickups out there. I got the 7-string set for 230euros (~£175) off ebay. Cheaper than the emg57/66 set (which I was also considering).

Yes it´s not very very expensive but not very accessible also, I think. More than 100 euros for pickup it´s a bit rough for me but as you already know I also dont need a neck pickup!lol what balances things, so I might look in the used market for one.

I still have in mind getting a crunch lab, what´s the differences you find in both?

I second that. A set of Lundgren cost more and two pickups in one, no one else offer that. I really dislike all the whining of some pickups are expensive on this forum occasionally.. I dont see anybody here whine about expensive guitars. If you want that sound you're after,you pay what it cost. If not, stick with your stockpickups, shut up and play yer guitar.

yes, yes bla bla... if I was living in your country I wouldnt complain about prices either because you are in a country that the wage there is probably 5xs more than here. So it´s all very nice but money it´s a hard thing to earn here. Just for your knowledge, 230 euros, what Keregioz paid, it´s almost half of wage here. So, yeah I am whining like a biatch but I got my reasons.

Yes it´s not very very expensive but not very accessible also, I think. More than 100 euros for pickup it´s a bit rough for me but as you already know I also dont need a neck pickup!lol what balances things, so I might look in the used market for one.

I still have in mind getting a crunch lab, what´s the differences you find in both?

Sure, I never said 230euros is not quite a bit of money, same rules apply here in Greece as far as being half the minimum wage. I was only speaking in comparison to other pickups, it definitely doesn't cost a "fortune" compared to other brands. Also, I'm quite confident that I won't have to replace these pickups anytime soon (after having the crunchlab and the JB with "meh" results for my liking), so it was definitely worth it for me.

It's definitely much tighter than the crunch lab in the voice 1 setting (it's much closer to an emg81), in the voice 2 setting it has more low end than the crunch lab. So maybe you could say it's somewhere in between. I could give you some DIs from the crunchlab from back when I had it in the same guitar (I used it to record our album). It's the 7 string version but I doubt it has any huge differences.

Last edited:
Sure, I never said 230euros is not quite a bit of money, same rules apply here in Greece as far as being half the minimum wage. I was only speaking in comparison to other pickups, it definitely doesn't cost a "fortune" compared to other brands. Also, I'm quite confident that I won't have to replace these pickups anytime soon (after having the crunchlab and the JB with "meh" results for my liking), so it was definitely worth it for me.

It's definitely much tighter than the crunch lab in the voice 1 setting (it's much closer to an emg81), in the voice 2 setting it has more low end than the crunch lab. So maybe you could say it's somewhere in between. I could give you some DIs from the crunchlab from back when I had it in the same guitar (I used it to record our album). It's the 7 string version but I doubt it has any huge differences.

When I said a fortune was a way of speaking of course, it´s a exaggerated word but I still find quite expensive.

It´s weird that you dont find the crunch lab very tight because in this video, the CL sounds very tight and very tasty to play

So I dont know if there is any significative difference bewteen the same pickup for 6 and 7 string but that doesnt seem to make much sense, also.
Yeah I will probably be interested in the DI´s of both pickups to try with the things I usually work.
But probably the crunch lab wasnt working very well with the type of wood of your guitar.

Yeah, I don't know what to tell you, I was never able to make it work for tight rhythm stuff unless I used an EQ on the DI signal to cut some lows (same with the JB). Maybe it was the guitar, maybe it was my particular tastes. I definitely couldn't pull the tones you got with the seymour duncan distortion.

Also, on a different note, I would never judge a pickup based on a review by that guy, haha. These type of guys are maybe great with rock/bluesy stuff but don't know the first thing about metal or how to review metal pickups or how to do a proper video where we listen to a properly miced cab instead of the room mic.

Last edited:
Just to chime in about the Crunch Lab....I had it in the bridge of my JPX which is generally a very tight guitar and it sounded muddy and unfocused (at least for fast stuff). It sounded good for crunchy big open chords but if you want something that tracks well the CL isn't my first choice by a long chalk.

Reactions: Lasse Lammert
Yeah, IME the crunchlab sounds like it should be a bareknuckle.
Everyone says it's tight, but it's really slow tracking, muddy in the lows and fuzzy in the top at the same time.

Kinda like an engl poofterball

Reactions: Jaymz
keregioz not that I was doubting of your word! :p I was just assuming that the pickup wasnt working well with your guitar but it seems that isnt working with other guitars!lol that makes things a bit differently.