YT: Mini Recto

Hmm. Sorry Ola, not my favourite tone from you. It sounds like one of those Blackstar HT pedals into a Fender to me. Nothing like a proper cranked amp.

Everything I've heard from these smaller wattage amps just screams lack of headroom to me, in a metal context.

If they sold new for AUD 999 I'd snatch one up in no time, but I'll bet my left testicle it'll cost at least $1500 here, in which case you're again in used dual rec territory.

Edit: $4,195 RRP, $2399 sale price. FUCK NO.

I could buy a fucking second hand triple rec for that price. Goddamn, what a joke!

That's weird man, here in NZ there is one in the local music store RRP $1699. Maybe 1899, can't remember exactly, but definitely under 2k. Currently on sale at 25% off, pretty tempted.

It sounds sweet, but has the same EL84 character as the Orange Tiny Terror - it's difficult to describe, sort of a honky crunch/brittleness, if that makes sense - not that the tone itself is honky, more just the overall quality of the crunch/distortion (probably made more noticeable by the lack of low-end punch compared to bigger tubes); anyway, great job man!

It sounds sweet, but has the same EL84 character as the Orange Tiny Terror - it's difficult to describe, sort of a honky crunch/brittleness, if that makes sense - not that the tone itself is honky, more just the overall quality of the crunch/distortion (probably made more noticeable by the lack of low-end punch compared to bigger tubes); anyway, great job man!

I think it's to do with lack of headroom in these amps, because I hear the same Orange Tiny Terror and Dual Terror aspect - a sort of high end fizz that increases the louder you turn it up.

I had the Dual Terror and at first was very impressed, but I ended up shifting it due to lack of AWE.

And the Blackstar HT-5 and Marshall Class 5 have the same sort of thing too - but they use different power tubes, so I'm not sure it's to do with the EL84's per-se.

VOX AC30 doesn't have the "brittle" quality we're talking about either.

I like your Triple Recto tone more. :D

In all serioiusness, tho.... Having played these, which do you prefer? This, the Blackstar HT-something or the Krank Rev Jr?