Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

I don't understand what the issue is regarding how DT are announcing the new drummer. Perhaps those angered are so used to instant gratification they can't handle the announcement process?

I don't understand what the issue is regarding how DT are announcing the new drummer. Perhaps those angered are so used to instant gratification they can't handle the announcement process?

It's not about the instant gratification. It's kind of like knowing the outcome of a sporting event before you watch it on tape delay (think World Series of Poker). It's pretty well known already who the drummer is, so going through this exercise prior to announcing it is kind of anti-climactic. This would be something to see on a DVD release someday, but the way they are doing it now..... Just not working for me. And I am a BIG DT fan, even the recent stuff.

I also think they come off as hugely obnoxious when they use lines like "we know how big this decision is in the lives of our fans". No offense, but as big as this is for me as a fanboy, it is NOT huge "in my life". I will not lose any sleep tomorrow if they do or do not make an announcement. They'll make their best decision (as my wife tells my kids) and it will either work out, or it won't. Time will tell.

yeah i read that the other day...i guess thats the legal reason why they couldnt release the name of the drummer. But everyone seems to think its Mangini, so its kind of anti-climatic lol

Has any other band done this crap before? Watching those videos is like watching Real World:DT. As much as i wanted a change in DT with Portnoy leaving, this wasnt the change i had in mind. Just announce the damn drummer already!

Sadly, I watched these two docs. As much as it pains me to say it, they weren't bad. It was interesting to see the dynamic between the drummers and the band. The problem is that this is not when they should have released this. The way they have done this, it has basically become the prog metal version of "Lebron James' Decision" as it's just too overblown and in the end, they're basically toying with their fans, which just isn't cool. If they just kept quiet throughout this time without talking about the auditions, the album, etc. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but as we know they have. Back to the doc though. If they released this as a dvd with the new album I wouldn't have a huge problem with it. That's my thoughts on it anyways.

"Mike Mangini, the 48-year-old session artist who has played for ANNIHILATOR, EXTREME, JAMES LABRIE and STEVE VAI, has officially joined DREAM THEATER as the replacement for the recently departed Mike Portnoy.

Mangini is notorious for his technical prowess and holds three out of four World's Fastest Drummer titles."

0118-yawn.png

Yes, now we can start sharpening our knives for the new album. Or just use them on Queensryche's next mess.

I suspect if Harvester endorsed the new QR, those who bash QR here would suddenly grow a new appreciation. Or, if the band fell under the Intromental banner. It would be quite Jolly in an Artizan kind of way. :D

Well, if you'd like to read more, Drumhead magazine will have an indepth article on him in the issue that comes out May 24th.
An excerpt:
"Drumhead got the exclusive first look at Mike Mangini, Dream Theater's new drummer. A long-standing educator for Drumhead, he is issue 27's cover artist. Drumhead's editor-in-chief, Jonathan Mover, spoke with Mike at the of beginning January about the new gig, and this is what Mangini had to say:

"I'm pinching myself. I wake up most mornings thinking about my personal playing growth and Dream Theater. I have a smile and it's amazing-what a great day I have when I acknowledge what is happening to me. How did I end up here? Whoa!"

Sounds like an interesting and fun interview. Looking forward to reading it. Excellent cover photo too, well done Jon.

I still think it's Mike Mangini. He's already had experience working with LaBrie on his first solo album. Plus he's cancelled all further teaching classes at Berklee. And his website and facebook are down for reconstruction. While they may be just coincidences, I think those are some signs he might have gotten the job. Either way I'd be shocked if it wasn't one of these three who got it:

Mike Mangini
Marco Minnemman
Thomas Lang

Been saying it's Mangini for a long time now. It was so obvious it's anti-climatic. Good for Mike though, he's a great guy and one of the best drummers ever IMO. He had the greatest drum solo I've ever seen when he was with Vai.

Well, if you'd like to read more, Drumhead magazine will have an indepth article on him in the issue that comes out May 24th.
An excerpt:"Drumhead got the exclusive first look at Mike Mangini, Dream Theater's new drummer. A long-standing educator for Drumhead, he is issue 27's cover artist. Drumhead's editor-in-chief, Jonathan Mover, spoke with Mike at the of beginning January about the new gig, and this is what Mangini had to say:
"I'm pinching myself. I wake up most mornings thinking about my personal playing growth and Dream Theater. I have a smile and it's amazing-what a great day I have when I acknowledge what is happening to me. How did I end up here? Whoa!"

Sounds like an interesting and fun interview. Looking forward to reading it. Excellent cover photo too, well done Jon.

I just got the email on this too. I'll be picking up a copy for sure.

I'll be honest. While I have heard some of the albums by the other drummers, I wasn't too familiar with any of the drummers' work outside of Wildoer. After seeing Mangini's audition though, it was obvious it was going to be him. He wanted it more than anyone else and nailed everything. He also got along best with the guys. I think most of the others just thought it was a good opportunity. I do agree with DT though that the top three were Mangini, Minnenman and Wildoer.

I can't really sympathize with all the haters here...
Granted, I personally haven't liked much they've done after Scenes from a Memory, except for perhaps In the Presence of Enemies. Most of this has to do with me being disgusted by LaBrie these days... He can't be rough no matter how hard he tries so he should quit trying and do what he does best, high-pitched soaring melodies with clean voice.

Well, now that I have ranted enough to also sound like a hater ( :) ) I just wanted to say that I A) thoroughly enjoyed these video clips and B) feel excited about this and would love to see the new band live.

Cool stuff!