\/olbeat's a comin' back

I think everyone's life would be a lot easier here if they just forgot about Volbeat, because the idea that they're something distinct from all the other modern-rock/nu-metal/jock-rock bands that they're spending the summer with is a peculiarity unique to the PPUSA community, and it seems to cause a lot of surprise/disappointment/gnashing-of-teeth.

Neil

Well that was condescending as hell. What, no irrelevant last.fm stats to go with that?

I'm defensive here because I think Volbeat is all kinds of awesome. They're also a damn sight better than the kind of bands you want to lump them in with, and the fact that they're heating up the radio and packing venues means their appeal goes well beyond the PPUSA community.

That could be the case, though I'd hope Volbeat would get at least 45 minutes. That's a decent enough set (not like going to see an opening stage band at Ozzfest who plays for 20 minutes).

I just get tired to see people complaining about not being able to catch a band, and when they finally have the chance, they're like "Eh, I don't like the other bands so I won't bother." The bands need the support in every single show, regardless of being the openers or the headliners.
Well, Rock on the Range isn't cheap, and it's 2 days long, so going just to see one band would be stupid, as even one day passes are pretty steep, like 80 bucks or something. It would be like going to PP to see one band and leaving. Who is going to do that? I'm with you on the support bands though. If it's just a regular tour with 2 or 3 bands opening for someone, I would never let the support dictate whether or not I'm going. If I don't like one of the bands I'll go outside and smoke or I'll come late. No big deal.

That could be the case, though I'd hope Volbeat would get at least 45 minutes. That's a decent enough set (not like going to see an opening stage band at Ozzfest who plays for 20 minutes).

I just get tired to see people complaining about not being able to catch a band, and when they finally have the chance, they're like "Eh, I don't like the other bands so I won't bother." The bands need the support in every single show, regardless of being the openers or the headliners.

last year a got to a plane from brazil to Flint, MI(17 hours or so) to see them live!!!! That's what a Fan is all about!!!

Fine. Then people shouldn't complain that "a band they'd love to see live never comes to town."

Eh, where exactly did I say that they "never come to town" ? I saw them last summer here in Cleveland. I'm expressing disappointment that they aren't coming back on this tour.

The fest they're playing is a 2 hour drive away. They're one of *20* bands playing on that day, of which I'd care to see *maybe* 3. Single day tickets are 60 bucks + fees. I'm sorry, that is not worthwhile.

Fine. Then people shouldn't complain that "a band they'd love to see live never comes to town."

Agreed, it's dumb when people contradict themselves. But has anyone actually done that in this thread? You really have to be careful and make sure that a single person is *actually* contradicting himself, rather than making the accusation when it's actually two or more *different* people with different opinions saying contradictory things.

Well that was condescending as hell. What, no irrelevant last.fm stats to go with that?

Their most-listened-to song last week ("Still Counting") had 17.5% fewer listens vs. the same week one year ago (though it was #1 in both cases). Hopefully that's irrelevant enough? :D (at the risk of saying something marginally relevant, it looks like their overall listening is similarly down 18%, which is actually kinda surprising, but perhaps it can just be explained by timing of the album release/touring cycle)

I'm defensive here because I think Volbeat is all kinds of awesome. They're also a damn sight better than the kind of bands you want to lump them in with, and the fact that they're heating up the radio and packing venues means their appeal goes well beyond the PPUSA community.

Yeah, that's my point, of course their appeal goes well beyond the PPUSA community; the *vast majority* of their appeal lies outside this community, since the core of PPUSA music has no connection to Volbeat-styled music. It's not *me* who lumps them with modern-rock/metal bands, it's everyone! Any impartial listener would do the same.

Choose three bands:
(1) Volbeat
(2) a band playing PPUSA this year (Symphony X, Epica, Redemption)
(3) a band playing Rock on the Range (Five Finger Death Punch, Chevelle, Incubus)

Then play "Which of these Three Does Not Belong?" with an impartial observer, the answer would *always* be the PPUSA band.

That's awesome that you love Volbeat (variety is way cooler than homogeneity in my book!) I'm just saying that for a PPUSA fan who likes Volbeat but doesn't like other modern-rock/metal bands, they're likely to be continually disappointed, because Volbeat is likely to continue touring around with those bands.

Looping back to my discussion with AR, one of my points (which I think I've made before here) is that pleading/cajoling/guilting people to see a band isn't really an effective thing to do past a certain scale; people will always make the decision on their own, based on price, convenience, and mostly, how much they like the band. And when performing that "is it worth it to me" calculus, Volbeat is always going to have a handicap with the PPUSA community, because they're never going to be touring with a Kamelot or other band that would sweeten the deal.

Hahahahahaha. I really don't think anyone is losing any sleep over it man.

I'm gonna call into work tomorrow. "I just need a break. I'm a Volbeat fan, and it's really taking it's toll on me..."

ha, yes, good point. :lol:

Neil

Like when they toured with Nightwish a couple of years ago, or Megadeth/Motorhead/Lacuna Coil earlier this year?

heh...well you got me there (with Nightwish...there's nothing particularly ProgPower-y about Megadeth/Motorhead/Lacuna Coil). Still, I don't think I'd put a lot of money on Volbeat going around with another PPUSA band in the future (unless it's Mustasch! Or maybe Amaranthe!)

Neil

Eh, where exactly did I say that they "never come to town" ? I saw them last summer here in Cleveland. I'm expressing disappointment that they aren't coming back on this tour.

The fest they're playing is a 2 hour drive away. They're one of *20* bands playing on that day, of which I'd care to see *maybe* 3. Single day tickets are 60 bucks + fees. I'm sorry, that is not worthwhile.

Didn't say you said that. :)