Planning for PP4 - timeframe

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Glenn,

At which point do you consider plans for PP4 (venue, bands etc)? Is this something you are already brainstorming perhaps, or do you wait until PP3 is absolutely done with?

Also, I know you consider yourself a fan first and foremost, and therefore select bands that you may want to see live yourself, but how do you even begin to start that selection/elimination process considering the global wealth of talent before you?

Thanks,

JK.

I do not start researching locations until after this festival is complete and I am paid. I will say that I am looking to move the festival up to September of next year.

As for how I pick bands, I honestly don't have a real answer for that. It is based on popularity, opportunity, and appearance. I do not go after bands that are touring or even appearing in the U.S. prior to festival in the same year. Also, bands that have new releases tend to get more of my attention as they get support from their labels. Otherwise, I sit down and discuss the bands with my inner circle and try to get a consensus on picks.

Glenn H.

Uh, Glenn, this is the inner circle signed in under Woosta's ID. We think you should bring Pretty Maids to ProgPower within the next year or two! Anything else, we're leaving up to you!

Originally posted by Harvester
I do not go after bands that are touring or even appearing in the U.S. prior to festival in the same year.

Thanks for your response Glenn.

Based on what you say about not going after bands that are already touring the US, can you elaborate? Does this imply that if, for example, Stratovarius decided to tour the US next Summer, then you wouldn't select them for a slot at PP4?

Correct.

Part of the appeal of ProgPower USA is being able to get the bands that nobody else can/will. Furthermore, if a band has toured prior to the event, that eliminates quite a few of that band's particular fanbase from traveling to the event.

Glenn H.

Cool! It must be rewarding to know that part of the reason Blind Guardian etc are going on their own tour after PP3 is because you were instrumental in getting them over to the US in the first place.

I'm hoping you get first shot at Stratovarius for next year then. :D