what do you think that really happen after we die?

Originally posted by metalmancpa
I am in tune with the "reality" of my short life span, but why should I believe and 100% trust what "knowledge" I have gathered?

You shouldn't, you should just go with whatever reason dictates to you is the most likely scenario.

What's wrong with casting a big question mark in all that we know without it affecting what I do everyday?

As long as it doesn't impact the way you live your life or your decision making, I don't see any harm in that at all. I only take issue with those who dedicate their lives to this sort of thing without ANY solid reasons for doing so because it can cloud's one's ability to think straight (and it does, for most people). We live in the here and now and that's what requires our attention/consideration, not some supposed afterlife which most likely does not exist.

It may get way to complex to understand - but being able to comprehend that these complexities exist, and not having them ruin your life, is part of living. I don't let any thoughts of afterlife keep me alive - but I also won't sit back and say "It's all crap" to a theory I truly don't understand.

But according to every bit of evidence and plain old common sense we have, it does appear to be all crap, and this is further demonstrated by the fact that humans have the distinct propensity to manufacture various forms of mythology which all seem to play on one's instinctual fear of death and desire for immortality (and these are the origins of these afterlife theories). Also, such theories also come packaged with a whole lot of nonsense, such as the innane presumptions that humans are completely distinct from all other life forms, that the universe is here for our sole benefit, and even that nonsense about their being a "god" character who created humans so that it would have someone to kiss it's ass (how incredibly short-sighted is that????). If the afterlife theories came on their own they may be worthy of consideration (if only they had a shread of logic or evidence to support them - which they do not), but they are always packaged with a load of other ridiculous nonsense which is obviously just ancient superstition and folklore fabricated by barbaric morons (ie. Christianity).

Something I've said many times, when we truly don't know something, it's best to simply admit we don't know and at the same time go with what is most reasonable, practical, likely, and which the most evidence supports. For example, if your wife is pregnant chances are the baby is going to survive (evidence supports this conclusion) so it's best to prepare for the new arrival, even though we don't know for sure if the baby will live we plan for the most likely outcome. The same can be said of the sun rising in the morning, it may not, indeed each night when we close our eyes it just may be the end of the world if an asteroid hits or something, but we still brush our teeth and lay out our clothes in preparation for the next day which may not come. In these uncertainties, we are going with what is most likely, so I can't figure out why it's so hard to do this when it comes to the afterlife question.

Consciousness is a function of the physical brain, and this can be shown by the fact that if someone suffers some sort of brain injury they can become a completely different person. I once read of a brain injury person who never liked sweets or classical music at all, then after the injury he couldn't get enough of these things, and some things he did like he now thinks are a waste of time. Since human consciousness is clearly a product of the physical brain (something we can accept as cold fact), it cannot exist independently of the brain, and *presuming* that it can is a lot like presuming that nuclear fusion (like in stars) can exist independently of hydrogen/helium/etc. It cannot, fusion is a product of condensed gas. Until we have a good reason for thinking something is true, we must conclude and act like it is not, otherwise we are living in a fantasy (I realize this doesn't apply to you MM, I'm just stating it for the benefit of others).

I'm reminded of something someone said here a long time ago, it went something like: "I hate my life and this world and the sooner I die the better because the next life will be so much better than this one." What the hell kinda reasoning is that? This poor kid is squandering his one shot at life in hopes of another which we have no good reason to conclude will come, and it's sad, very very sad.

For anyone who is deluded by a given religion: If "god" really wanted you to live your life in preparation for an afterlife it would have given you a good reason for doing so, but it has not, all you are going on is the word of barbaric, foolish, and corrupt humans who (not coincidentily) obtain weath and power through the propogation of folklore.

Reason should *always* prevail, any other type of thinking is potentially dangerous (and I would suggest leads to intellectual self-sodomization and unhappiness).

muwahaha,

Satori ;)

Satori:

Yes - it is reason that should dictate our actions here on earth. Our definition of common sense and reason should be our guide through each day of our known human existance. Unless I know otherwise, I will "plan" for tomorrow when I go to bed tonight. I will go to work to make the income necessary to provide my family with the best surroundings I can afford. I will NOT plan my daily activities for some future event that I have no idea exists.

BUT, underneath the "normal" daily existance, there lies the unknown. The unknown should not be written-off as absolute unknown. It should be recognized that there are many many things we just don't comprehend that may in fact exist. A glaring and somewhat extreme example of what could POSSIBLY happen if you let your guard down - 9/11. We knew terrorism existed - it existed in reality everyday. But we were complacant and non-believing in terrorisms ability to lay great harm and waste within our boundaries, and we were wrong. I'm not saying we should have always been at the other extreme - assuming it would be 100% sure that a terrorist strike would happen, and be under some kind of marshall law. There has to be a balance.

This balance should exist at all levels - whether it be in the more traditional activities of our lives, to things like the paranormal, or afterlife, aliens, etc. For whatever reason, these things have been placed on a plate in front of humanity. How they got there - not really sure. But I have heard of these things, and the possibility that they may exist. So what does balance mean in regards to these things not considered normal?

For one, I realize the possibility. But that possibility doesn't mean to "plan" for these occurances. It only means to keep my mind open for the possibility. If the day never comes that these type of events materialize, then so be it. But, to set your mind up to believe these things to be false, will shut the mind down from recognizing them IF they ever happen. Being prepared doesn't always mean to be prepared physically, or to have such a mindset as to effect the here and now. It only means to keep a piece of you open, a tiny slice of the mind aware. If these things are true, and somewhere deep in the recesses of your mind you have filed that information away, you may be better prepared to "see" these things if they happen. Human nature has a way of shutting off the things we can't comprehend, or truly don't believe. For instance, if a ghost appeared in your bedroom tonight, would you write it off as a hallucination or a dream? Or, would you at least attempt to follow up on what you thought you saw, for the chance of making a connection? Me - I would give it my best shot, only because I believe that it is possible.

I don't think it's as hard as humanity makes it to live both in the "real" world, and keep an eye out for that fourth dimension, even if you never see it. It's a subtle balance that most people can't train their mind to do, because they let the emotions such as paranoia or fear get in the way.

Maybe what you're saying is true - that humans are not capable of having enough of an open mind as to not effect their everyday life, and they should just wipe out any extreme left/right views of what could be, and just focus with tunnel vision on the "reality" path laid out in front of them.