1 x 12" cabs

egan.

daylightdies.com
Dec 28, 2002
NorCal
www.daylightdies.com
I've kicked around the idea of getting a 1x12" or 2x12" guitar cab for recording at home. I've got a booth of sorts and have recorded a few different 4x12s in there, but it's not very well insulated so isolation sort of sucks. In theory a 1x12' would be 6dB quieter than a 4x12 off the top, but in practice it would be much easier to position in the room and place baffles around it for maximum noise reduction. BUT, all that is pointless if it doesn't sound good. So anyway I was wondering if anybody had actually tried recording a standard head (5150, dual rec, etc.) through a single driver and what the results were.

I use a 1x8 cab to record, and I get totally brutal tones. Slaughter of the Soul was a homemade 2x10 cab. I think you get better sounds for the most part by using smaller or lower wattage speakers pushed to the point where speaker compression starts. Andy would probably disagree with me here.

Kevin Kitchel said:
I use a 1x8 cab to record, and I get totally brutal tones. Slaughter of the Soul was a homemade 2x10 cab. I think you get better sounds for the most part by using smaller or lower wattage speakers pushed to the point where speaker compression starts. Andy would probably disagree with me here.

I actually think its more to do with the size of the centre of the cone, if you look at the 75wt celestions, it's pretty damn big, and difficult to find a balanced sweet spot, where as 30's are alot more focused
10" always sounded small and fizzy to me, but hey, if it works, there's no rules.