100 Greatest Progressive Rock Artists

another useless list.... anyways i dont think dream theater should be so high up. im surprised they included the mars volta. they've only had one full length cd. and they put them before a lot of more experienced prog bands. its hard to define a rock band as progressive when they havent really even had time to progress. opeth has progressed. yes has progressed. genesis has progressed... and became shitty too but thats besides the point... the point is, we are the all singing all dancing crap of the world

Well, even though i disagree with some of the order, and some of the bands entirely being on there...that list is surely more accurate and true than say the "top 100 metal guitarist" list i saw not too long ago, and many other ignorant and assuming lists as well.

an interesting read and interpretation regardless...thanks for posting it. :p

bangadrian said:
Oh and also I wouldn't call Opeth a progressive rock band just because they used a Mellotron for one frickin album.
Opeth is maybe the most perfect example of progressive metal yet...for you to say that the only thing about Opeth that could be considered progressive is the mellotron on damnation is the most ignorant thing ive heard in a long time in this board...sorry to say.

and id say the beatles belong on that list far more than most of the stuff they chose. There arguably wouldnt be progressive rock (at least as we know it today) without sgt. peppers and abbey road. Any "serious" progressive rock enthusiest, knows this.

as for dream theater...id argue their belonging in the progressive realm period...but that aside...id say its been downhill since images and words...so their #9 slot does indeed seem unjustified to me.

I'll never understand why metal fans react to top 100 lists the way they do. "WOW, HOLY CRAP, IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT?!?!?!? NO WAY MAN!?!?!? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE PICKED DIFFERENT BANDS THAN ME!!! ME FOR GOD'S SAKE! THE END ALL, BE ALL OF TOP 100 LISTS!!!"

I have never heard the majority of those bands, but from what I know I think it is a pretty good list. I'm just wondering how the hell can Stratovarius be considered prog.

Concerning Dream Theater, I don't think they went downhill since Awake, I think Scenes From a Memory is their best album. I don't like Images and Words that much, even though Metropolis pt1 and Pull Me Under are two of my favorite DT songs.

@NineFeetUnderground : How could you argue that they belong to the progressive realm?

PeeWee1473 said:
I'll never understand why metal fans react to top 100 lists the way they do. "WOW, HOLY CRAP, IT'S NOT EXACTLY THE WAY YOU WOULD HAVE DONE IT?!?!?!? NO WAY MAN!?!?!? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?!?!? I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT SOMEONE ELSE WOULD HAVE PICKED DIFFERENT BANDS THAN ME!!! ME FOR GOD'S SAKE! THE END ALL, BE ALL OF TOP 100 LISTS!!!"

oh shut up
they even have portishead and kraftwerk on there as prog rock artists
thats a really crappy list

If you ask me, of the few bands I recognized, many were really just melodic bands rather than progressive - Yngwie, King's X, Savatage, the afforementioned Stratovarius. Hehe, that's about a quarter of the bands I recognized anyway, but you know, if they're gonna put them in I see no reason why Children of Bodom and such are left out. How do you exactly define a prog band anyway? Ambitious, but stupid idea to try to write a list like that. From what I recognized though, and with the normal inconsistencies that go with lists (I know few people who will say Metallica is the best metal band ever or Eddie Van Halen really was the best guitarist ever, but it's a safe bet that anyone reading a list will say they're top 10 at least) I'd say they did a decent job.

Fuck it, I'm throwing my complaint list on the pile...

1. Frank Zappa should have been listed without the Mothers, since they were only a small, though significant, part of Frank's greater creative history. And he should have been top 10, he's better than fucking Dream Theater.

2. Godspeed! You Black Emperor but no Silver Mt. Zion or Mogwai, who're both at least equally as important and influencial.

3. Spiral Architect is an infinately superior prog/metal act to Rhapsody (!!!), yet they're 25 spots behind them.

4. If Opeth makes the top 50, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum should at least be within 10 or 20 spots of them. I actually wish Opeth would do shit like SGM does.

5. Brian Eno should be in the top 30 at least, come on!

6. Slint are the freakin children of God, and yet they're nowhere on the list.

6. NO MR. *motherfucking* BUNGLE??!! Or any Mike Patton project for that matter, is that a joke??!!

That's the shittiest list I've ever seen, especially the top 10 progressive metal list...Dream Theater suck...Tool should have easily topped that list.

PeeWee1473 said:

you're an idiot. this list isnt even for metalheads in most respects. if you knew anything about this type of music, you wouldnt be questioning at least a bit of the choices and/or order of that list.

Frank Zappa should be at least top five, and should be ahead of fuckin DT any day, hes a fuckin genius, his band would crush dt any day, plus Bozzio is the fuckin man. They put all those faggot serious nerds to shame, all those arrogant prog "professional musicians" who try way to hard to show there talent off. Basically i fuckin hate the gay prog scene and i love it when a band comes along or came along in Zappa's case and completely crushes all the prog fags in talent and doesnt give a shit about it and just plays to play. I mean common the guy made 70 cds in 30 years and most of them are fuckin great.

Minion520 said:
Frank Zappa should be at least top five, and should be ahead of fuckin DT any day, hes a fuckin genius, his band would crush dt any day, plus Bozzio is the fuckin man. They put all those faggot serious nerds to shame, all those arrogant prog "professional musicians" who try way to hard to show there talent off. Basically i fuckin hate the gay prog scene and i love it when a band comes along or came along in Zappa's case and completely crushes all the prog fags in talent and doesnt give a shit about it and just plays to play. I mean common the guy made 70 cds in 30 years and most of them are fuckin great.

may i ask what "gay prog scene" youre reffering to?

yessss! minion520 versus NineFeetUnderground, part 24! unleash the hounds!

i suggest we collectively write a letter to all crappy music magazines and implore them to cease and desist with the lists. we all know that such lists are *fillers* for magazines that didnt bother to establish more ads for drum sticks. each and every one of these lists are 100% subjective and edited by about a million different people all thinking they are the most knowledgeable on whatever subject they happen to pull out of their asses.
seriously, no more lists would mean no more ridiculous threads about 100 Most Proficient Prog-fusion Guitarists Who Can Play Songs in Reverse. moonlapse, i nominate you to write it up.

bangadrian said:
well buddy, "progressive metal" is a specific genre of music that opeth does NOT fit. i never said opeth wasn't progressive musically, but they are clearly not a progressive metal band. but that's a small point... what i am really getting at is that people never called opeth a progressive metal band before d&d. just because they did one project with steven wilson, now everyone thinks they're a fuckin intellectual and says "oh i listen to a PROGRESSIVE ROCK band." i never said that the mellotron was the "only thing abot opeth that could be considered progressive", but i think that a lot of people mistake them for a progressive rock band because of that particular instrument on damnation. a lot of people... like you for example.

and by the way i don't really like progressive metal music, with the occasional exception of dream theater, especially their older material.
first of all....im not your "buddy"...when youre making completely biased assumptions about me and my opinions. your assumption that i think Opeth is a progressive band based on damnation and its mellotron use only...is completely unjustified and without factual basis, for its entirely untrue, i dont know what gave you such an idea...please refrain from looking anymore like an ass as you already do.

please DO NOT attempt at schooling me on progressive music, be it rock or metal.

please DO NOT attempt at justifying and backtracking your allogations from earlier...i suggest just being quiet from now on, rather than continuing this ignorant charade you seem so boldly keen on presenting, for its not helping your arguments in the slightest.

please DO NOT assume people didnt call opeth progressive until d&d...for many upon many did...myself included...it has nothing to do with mellotron...(and as a side note, they had hammond organ on my arms your hearse long before damnation, but you probably didnt know that).

please DO NOT assume that i consider them progressive "rock" in general...i do not...i consider them a progressive death metal band.

please DO NOT attempt at anything within this realm with me, i will destroy you and all the ignorance that makes up your opinions on this subject.