The Baying of the Hounds
To Bid You Farewell
Black Rose Immortal
Bleak
In Mist She Was Standing
The Drapery Falls
By The Pain I See In Others
Windowpane

...I think those, just at the top of my head, consist of opeth's best material from all album's included - I was almost ready to practically include ALL their somgs. Seriously, this is one of the few bands with such an incredible library of songs. So many are A++ material it just baffles me, really, which is probably the main reason they are my fave band.

AlexGuinness said:
Favourite and greatest are not necessarily the same...

"Greatest" to me HAS to be Black Rose Immortal.

Favourite changes all the time, currently is probably Still Day Beneath The Sun.

"Still Day Beneath The Sun"??? Is this an unreleased rare demo track or something, because I've never heard of it.

In any event, Opeth is beautiful, and I would have to say my favorite song is "The Twilight Is My Robe". Amazing song. I especially love the part "Are you beloved, Lord? Sighing deep, under these waterfalls...". Oh my god, so powerfully emotive, I LOVE it!

Mhh...
godhead's lament (for sure)
the drapery falls
harvest
to rid the disease
Master's apprentices

that's the only point which is bad about opeth, you just can't choose the best songs...

Sadpoet said:
"Still Day Beneath The Sun"??? Is this an unreleased rare demo track or something, because I've never heard of it.

It was a bonus track on the Blackwater Park special edition, along with Patterns in the Ivy II.

I think Epilogue & Melinda are brilliant, but don't contain all of the great Opeth elements. For me it comes down to Deliverance, Harlequin Forest & When. I'd have to go with Deliverance. For me it's the metal anthem of the past decade ! Who else but Opeth can make a 13 minute song of Metal Greatness. So melodic & so heavy. Great vocal range & the coolest outro of all-time !

Black rose immortal has always been my favorite, and in my opinion their greatest.

Eh, my favourite is still The Night And The Silent Water.....the harmonies just do stuff with me inside ^^
As for their "greatest"......hmmm I'd probably go with The Drapery Falls. It's the first song that came to my head when I saw the title.

deliverance, love the riffs so much
the moor
drapery falls
the funeral portrait
blackwater park
in my time of need
the grand conjuration
masters apprentices
a fair judgement

Best song in my mind is
The Twilight is my Robe. Orchis is a masterpiece. They're best work