100 years

There was no Retaliation though!!! It was Repulsion. Go to the official TON board and do a search on Repulsion and all shall be revealed.

Anyway I know for a fact Sub-Zero was before Carnivore and Carnivore was right before TON after Roadracer(runner) forced him via a shitty contract to keep making music. Anyway anyone going to that Halloween show at the Metro? Going to be awesome.

Oh yeah Novembers Doom is cool and all. Go you guys :headbang:

According to Metal Update, Blabbermouth, and a couple other places...

"CHARON/ex-POISONBLACK frontman Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto will handle the vocal duties for AMORPHIS on the group's upcoming U.S. tour with TYPE O NEGATIVE. At the moment, there are no plans for Leppäluoto to join AMORPHIS on a full-time basis."

Oh and Tom... have you checked out Woods of Ypres? I got a promo of their latest for reviewing and from what I've seen of your interests... they're probably up your alley.

In the original news blurb about Amorphis, and Pasi leaving, they did say that the Poisonblack guy will be filling in on vocals. However, according to a friend of ours, Pasi is supposedly leaving AFTER the tour. Id be absolutely thrilled if that was the case, but we'll see. Either way, i'm completely stoked about the Halloween show, it should be great, with or without Pasi. Lets hope im not wrong. =D

a friend of mine (Al) tried to tell me about the MDB thing before the release of the cd, but he just kind of said 'that one thing is so mdb' and never actually pointed out what. until the cd was done and printed and released, of course. i don't think i even owned a mdb cd at that point (sorry mdb- i did later buy some). didn't trust my friend as he himself admitted he didn't really have a musical bone in his body and didn't own any MDB himself. should've listened to him. i caught plenty of crap from him & my friends outside the band after the cd came out: they'd even come by my apartment and ring the buzzer (which rang my phone) just to leave drunk messages on my answering machine singing that line and laughing.

just to add fuel to the fire, there's another melody line that off the sculptured ivy disc that can be found on the first katatonia ep, which i would be more guilty of hearing before writing the song. no one seems to pick up on that one though. a shiny quarter to whomever picks it out.

Hey, this is a little off the subject, but what tuning(s) do ND use? Is it 'A' or 'B'. Does anybody know??? And would anyone here be interested in buying a Peavey 115 watt rockstar tube head, and a bass cab w/ 6x8s? I'm getting out of the band thing and looking to sell my large equipment!

DOOM ON!!!!!!!

ArchBishop FrankenChokey the V said:
Hey, this is a little off the subject, but what tuning(s) do ND use? Is it 'A' or 'B'. Does anybody know??? And would anyone here be interested in buying a Peavey 115 watt rockstar tube head, and a bass cab w/ 6x8s? I'm getting out of the band thing and looking to sell my large equipment!

DOOM ON!!!!!!!
We're tuned to Drop Bb, just tune all your strings down two steps to C then drop the C down another whole step to Bb.

chupe666 said:
a friend of mine (Al) tried to tell me about the MDB thing before the release of the cd, but he just kind of said 'that one thing is so mdb' and never actually pointed out what. until the cd was done and printed and released, of course. i don't think i even owned a mdb cd at that point (sorry mdb- i did later buy some). didn't trust my friend as he himself admitted he didn't really have a musical bone in his body and didn't own any MDB himself. should've listened to him. i caught plenty of crap from him & my friends outside the band after the cd came out: they'd even come by my apartment and ring the buzzer (which rang my phone) just to leave drunk messages on my answering machine singing that line and laughing.

just to add fuel to the fire, there's another melody line that off the sculptured ivy disc that can be found on the first katatonia ep, which i would be more guilty of hearing before writing the song. no one seems to pick up on that one though. a shiny quarter to whomever picks it out.
Yeah I've tried explaining to people time and again that you really hadn't even listened to MDB when you wrote ND music. And of course people react like "*GASP* How can that be?? You cant write and play that kind of music and not have been influenced by MDB!!!" It's like, well uh, yeah actually you can, buddy. LOL It's like when people compare "Last God" to sounding like Silent Enigma era Anathema (which Ive seen mentioned in more than one review) and it annoys me because personally I HATE Silent Enigma. If theres any comparison between my song and that album, its because my big influence on alot of that song was Celtic Frost, and its obvious to me that CF was a big influence on Anathema during that time too. But people just presume that we were influenced by Anathema. I'm maybe more influenced by Anathema now if anything, because I really like their last few albums alot. I think I'm one of the few people who think bands like Anathema, Amorphis, Katatonia, Sentenced, etc., have all become much much better now with their newer less "metal" directions.
And you mentioning that Katatonia riff is funny, because now there's a band who I admit fully has probably been an influence on ND's music, one way or another. You've always been a fan of theirs, Eric, and I have become quite a big fan of theirs as well, and I can actually hear the influence in both of our writing styles.....but hardly anyone else catches onto it lol

Like I have said many times before, I certainly don't mind people mentioning our so-called obvious influences, as long as they actually get 'em right!

katatonia was kind of where i was at when we wrote the for every leaf that falls ep stuff. i'd never written doom stuff before and katatonia's early stuff was what i was into at the time, and the direction i sort of wanted us to go in (a bit black metallish - okay, it was 1997, i was new to black metal & enthralled so give me a break - yet very doomy). most of the ultra doom and standard doom death metal didn't really appeal to me. i think it was the melodies katatonia was using- mixing up some faster 6/8 tempos, 4/4 doom stuff, and good melodies, and that's what i tried to do with our stuff. from there, into writing the rest of the sculptured ivy stuff, we just went with what we thought would work, but as for those first three songs, i really had to struggle with how to write "doom" and i probably listened to a little too much katatonia at that point (basically the last 6 months of 1997).
i should also point out i evidently ripped off old metallica a bit on that record too. which i never really listened to much or learned to play. expect the band to be sued soon by Metalli-lawyers, larry.

that's funny you mentioned silent enigma- that's probably the earliest cd of theirs i can stand except for a few moments here and there in the older stuff. i had actually only heard 1 minute snippets from the internet for a couple years until i bought the whole cd in like 1999 or so.

and as for last god, i would think we pushed toward that Frost influence with using that low end BRASS HORN keyboard sound we used. that was very Frost, and Chris loved when we added that in. i totally don't hear anathema in that song. weird what people will come up with. maybe the spoken french part? why wouldn't people say it reminds them of Misanthrope then?
(sorry for the long post)

Yeah, with the whole Silent Enigma thing, it was an album that I'd missed out on when it originally came out. I'd been into them when they first came out and put out Crestfallen and Serenades, but I sort of lost interest after that, and didnt come back to listening to them at all until the late nineties or so. Everyone kept raving about how "mandatory" it was to listen to Silent Enigma, and especially after I started seeing us being compared to that album, I gave it a listen. I pretty much can't stand it lol I just think the playing is fair and the vocals are awful, and I just don't think it stands up to what the band have become nowadays. I know this seems to go against what most "true" doom or Anathema fans think, but frankly, I couldn't give a shit.

I didn't really start appreciating Katatonia until Brave Murder Day, which is probably typical of alot of people I'm sure. I later went back and got the earlier releases and I like them as well now. I've always been aware of the Katatonia influence in your writing, Eric, and in our material in general, and it never bothered me at all, I quite liked it haha

I think there's always been this misconception that because we're Novembers Doom, we most likely sit around listening to doom and death/doom alot, which is actually about as far from truth as can be. It's not that I dislike it, I quite enjoy certain bands and albums, but in general it's just not really my thing, and I think that pretty much goes for everyone else in the band too. Paul probably appreciates the really heavy doom stuff most of all, but even his tastes are much more broad and expansive than that, and I don't think he listens to much of it generally these days. I guess we're just not "true", LOL.

Well larry, people compare as a second nature, because it helps you to understand how to approach what comes at you.
And it's true in my opinion that the feel of an album like The silent Enigma can be compared with an album like The Knowing. But I talk about the feel; not this or that riff or whatever. It's only what came to my mind when I played The Knowing for the first time. An album like To Welcome The Fade reminds me more of that dutch band Gorefest with their album False. But again only because the feel (for lack of a better word).
And the term doom points out the music sounds dark, gloomy and melancolical. And Anathema does sound like that, just like you. But that's all there is to compare. And no-one can listen to doom alone. I like Mortiis as well as Novembers Doom or as Exodus or Opeth.

OPETH_DT said:
I've no clue as to whom, Dan; although, I've been interested in seeing them too. I'm 50-50 right now because of that development. E-mail or IM me and let me know how the sessions are going. Take care.

Done. Neil just sent the tape to Earache. I suppose mastering will begin shortly. It sounds really good. We're all very proud of the album.

BalanceofPower said:
Please Eric, I've seen "truer" people than mr mike legros hes nothing but a poser.

PROOF!

ndmikebiohidden.jpg