100 years

I talked with some friends once and that pic got "most disturbing image in the history of Metal" honours.

and before someone says this... those nude photos of me are ruled out because I'm a rapper/Christian folk performer and therefore not even remotely metal.

Novembers Paul said:
PROOF!

ndmikebiohidden.jpg

Im scarred for life. My testosterone level has dropped to a dangerously low level as a direct result of viewing this abomination!!!!!!

Septembers Marc said:
Well larry, people compare as a second nature, because it helps you to understand how to approach what comes at you.
And it's true in my opinion that the feel of an album like The silent Enigma can be compared with an album like The Knowing. But I talk about the feel; not this or that riff or whatever. It's only what came to my mind when I played The Knowing for the first time. An album like To Welcome The Fade reminds me more of that dutch band Gorefest with their album False. But again only because the feel (for lack of a better word).
And the term doom points out the music sounds dark, gloomy and melancolical. And Anathema does sound like that, just like you. But that's all there is to compare. And no-one can listen to doom alone. I like Mortiis as well as Novembers Doom or as Exodus or Opeth.
Being compared to other artists or albums is not a problem at all. Neither I nor the rest of the band have ever had a problem with the idea of people referring to other artists when trying to explain what ND sounds like or feels like. More of what I am referring to in my rants, however, is when people make claim that we are stealing, ripping-off, or "obviously influenced by" certain artists that just isn't correct. For someone to say that they are reminded of the vibe and sound of Silent Enigma when listening to The Knowing doesn't bother me at all. It's those critics who state that we are just copying or stealing from Silent Enigma that are off-base. My point was that our influences go back a bit deeper than that, perhaps even sharing similar influences with bands like Anathema (the Celtic Frost influence, for example), but people just presume that we don't have roots that go that far back, or perhaps they just don't realise that the sounds they hear weren't necessarily invented by Anathema, I don't know. Reviews do serve their purpose, and I realise that it has its up side, because then people who like those artists mentioned or that style will then check us out. But often it's served more as a detriment to us, because so many people automatically turn their noses up at us before they've heard a single note, and that bothers me. I have honestly talked to people who've told me that they didn't bother checking us out for a long time, because they'd read many times that we were just a "MDB wanna be" band. And at this point, I'm convinced that we could basically put out a polka-funk album, and someone out there is still going to call it "MDB, Opeth copyists". That might seem snotty and pissy on my part for saying that, but oh well.
So as far as when fans say to someone, "Oh yeah check out ND, they're sorta Opethy and if you like MDB and Katatonia, you might like it", well I don't really have a problem with that. But when people compare us to bands in a way that they are trying to use it against us or put us down for being copycats, then it sucks. I think if more reviewers did their homework then they'd be able to more closely find things to compare us to that would be much more accurate and paint a clearer picture of what we sound and feel like. But just like musicians, bands and albums, theres both good reviewers and bad ones, that's just how it goes I guess. I'm going to be very very curious to see what kinds of reviews we get for the new cd.

And the fact that you were reminded of Gorefest when you heard To Welcome The Fade, completely just made my day. I'm a huge Gorefest fan. Totally underrated catchy death metal band. They added melody and groove and more of a "rock" feel to their sound, and got slagged off for it. Meanwhile, several years later, music came around to that anyhow, and now bands are doing a similar thing and becoming very popular from it. "False" and "Erase" are classics, in my opinion. I'm not sure that I catch the Gorefest vibe from our cd like you did, but I'll take it as a compliment nonetheless!

As for the comment, "noone can listen to doom alone", I've meet quite a few people in person and online, who would argue that statement with you! Some of these doom fans are pretty nuts about that shit lol I personally couldn't imagine listening to only one kind of music exclusively. That'd drive me nuts.

Anyhow,this subject has been discussed to death by me and others in the past, I realise. But it's just one of those things that I still feel strongly about.

that pic does look like you took a guitar out and replaced it with a flower.
if you could see the pouty look in his eyes, it'd make it look more legit.

so that's the new album's cd tray pic, right? lift up the disc and-- the ND sensitivity shines.

I can't really explain why the vibe of TWTF reminded me of Gorefest, but I'm glad you took it as a compliment. Maybe it's because they also tuned very low and changed between slow stuff and more up-tempo rythms within one song and captured different moods doing so. ND does that for example in a song like "Broken" and "The Spirit Seed." Or maybe it's the sound of the album.

Did you know Gorefest are back together? :headbang:

No, I had no idea Gorefest were back together, that's good news I think. I bought "Chapter 13" when it finally came out a while back and it was enjoyable. Not their best, but it was decent. I'd be quite interested to hear more about that though.