1176 on snare....RULES

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
yo lads...
I'm trying again to move away from the typical Sneap Snare a bit...not because I'm not loving it, but because I don't wanna sound like everyone else...

lately I'm digging ringy snares etc, today I was experimenting with the 1176 (Hardware) on snare.

well, actually it's a combination of that and the SSL.

I had the SSL on 10:1 fastest attack, .3s release, then fed the signal into the 1176 in FB mode and ANIHILATED it...then some clipping from the apogee.

anyways, here's a wee sample with the most extreme settings, just to show what the 1176 is doing:

smpl1
smpl2
smpl3
smpl4

of course this is a bit taking the piss compression wise, but it shows that with slightly different settings it'll give you a nice shotgun snare, and with again a bit different settings (and a different tuning) you'll get fairly close to the In Flames type ringy snare.

so Morgan, you should perhaps try this.
Ermz: the attack was midway on this one, so it can get slower if needed, definitely provides enough "pop" IMO...and that although I limited it before the 1176

enjoy and feel free to use the samples if you need an extreme sounding snare ;)

Cool man. I've never had much success with 1176 on snare on anything other than parallel tracks, but then again I don't have 'all-buttons-mode' on mine sadly.

VCA-style, slow attack compression on drums is still my thing, but I'm glad you're finding new ways to process tracks to your liking.