$15 an hour for recording in a half assed sound treated BEDROOM

Im not a pro (im very far from it) but i get really angry when i see "engineers" where i live with 20 o 30 times more equipment (and more years of experience) delivering fucking amateur/demo mixes and billing much more than i am...

Yeah I have to admit this rubs me way more in the wrong way than a bedroom guy turning out decent shit.

Im not a pro (im very far from it) but i get really angry when i see "engineers" where i live with 20 o 30 times more equipment (and more years of experience) delivering fucking amateur/demo mixes and billing much more than i am...

On the same boat man. It's the eye-candy, "pro-impression" and price that sets the deal most of the times. Young musicians who can afford to spend a lot would naturally be pulled towards expensive studios. Ignorance isn't always bliss.

+1

And based on my (limited) experience most bands will choose a expensively equipped studio over a "bedroom warrior" even if they listen samples from both and the difference is quite obvious. It's really hard for them to wrap their heads around the concept that knowing how to use the equipment you have is far more important than having the best equipment. But usually they are people that don't really have any clue about how recording/mixing music works, so I can't really blame them, it's up to you to find ways to convince them you are the right choice.

Phil how do you do that? That's nuts.

Idk how I do it I guess I am just use to it haha. been doing the same type of thing for the past 7-8 years. First was with my old band playing out of town shows all the time so I was use to going to bed at 3-4 in the morning and waking up at 8-9 in the morning to go to work for 8 hours 6 days a week haha. Kinda the same with recording now and my job. except I don't wake up with my neck all fucked from to much windmills.

The OP is just another casualty of the digital age. I get that he is upset and it would be horrible to watch you business go down the drain due to external influences you have no control over. Still it's not the bedroom warriors' fault, it's just the hand life has dealt you. Sucks to be you right now Guru but lots of other industries are going the same way these days.

Fuck. My bedroom isn't even TREATED, and I'm putting out killer shit. Don't even charge by the hour either.

Joking aside, I would change it if I could, but bands don't have money. And if they do, they go to some big studio, which I (unfortunately?) don't work at. Maybe it's just the particular style/niche I'm in + local friends' bands

20 years ago, people with a portastudio did the same. And nobody complained. And the results were a lot worse.
I think music has changed a lot, some things for good, and some others for bad. Same happens to other careers like graphic design, photography, etc.

Yes, you can pay 30 bucks to your friend with a nikon dslr, but nothing compared to a pro shoot that goes for 150 and up.

Our band is dead broke, but if we could, and wanted to release something "pro", we'd definitely pay for it. A 15 dollar job is just a quick fix.

if you are talking about the mix. I am not impressed and a 240p youtube video it´s certainly not the best example. I hear clipping all over the song.

The samples in his site are miles better, I'm guessing letting others upload the songs on bad quality and with bumps, blank spaces etc could be a sort of strategy to encourage CD sales through his website and Amazon..

Besides, BM is supposed to be 240p :D

Yes! Especially when you can hear that they just throw a crapton of plugins in their mixes and it just sounds like a giant mess and then outsource their mastering and request a LOUD mix so that it sounds even worse :D

well this is interesting. Personally I don't give a shit bout bedroom warriors or even other studios. My work and my relationship with my clients is slowly leading to more work. I'm only concerned about making my own work better. Im fairly cheap, but as an assistant to a producer with a professional studio I have the opportunities coming in that people flying solo wouldn't have.