THEE MALDOROR KOLLECTIVE - New Era Viral Order
THUNDERSTONE - The Burning
WOLVERINE - Cold Light of Monday

CLASSICS
ALICE IN CHAINS - s/t
ANNIHILATOR - Never, Neverland
DREAM THEATER - When Dream & Day Unit

:Spin:

Great Into Eternity review... almost as great as the album itself. :) I only liked "Dead or Dreaming" moderately, not fully warming up to it because of the annoying clean vocals and production flaws. "Buried In Oblivion" has fixed everything that was wrong, and has propelled this band into the top tier of metal glory. The production is just how I like it: crisp and muscular. The addition of Chris Krall on vocals is just amazing. He has one heck of a voice. And the clean vocal parts are much more diverse. The music is just insane. I have been listening to this album nonstop. This is the album to beat this year right now. I especially love the two ballads towards the end, which took me by suprise... they are exceptionally beautiful.

I really like this line from the review: “Splintered Visions” kicks off the album (and 2004, goddamnit) with those neo-classical speed pickings that, alone, destroyed every other song on Century Media’s Identity Eight (’03) release where it first appeared. :lol:

Would I like the new Into Eternity? I have the previous album (a promo), but never really thought it was all that innovative (as you guys are saying). I did think it was good, but at the time I was much more into finding bands like Watchmaker and Nasum. If I gave it a fair listen, what would I think?

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Obviously not everyone wants to hear death growls, progressive jazz beats, or folk-ridden violins playing to the rhythm of dripping candle wax[/font]
They don't? :confused: :tickled:

That Hypocrisy albums will be the one to beat at the end of this year methinks, I'm finding fewer flaws with it every day.

Radiation 4 sounds like my bag, that one is on the list.

That Into Eternity blew me away the other night, but I've only listened to about half the album so far. I'll get back to it soon enough. :)

Radiation 4 didn't impress me too much. But fans of Mr. Bungle and Mike Patton's wacky hijinks will love it.

NAD said:
They don't? :confused: :tickled:
Yeah I wasn't sure if that came out right in the review. What I meant was that people who are into bands like Hammerfall, Manowar etc are quite happy sticking with that tried & tested formula.

ProgMetalFan said:
Great Into Eternity review...
Thanks - glad to see you liked it too. I'll interview Jim Austin in a few days so keep a lookout for that once it's ready.

npearce said:
Would I like the new Into Eternity?
I would love to say, 'yes', but if with you I'm hestiant with any recommendation. :tickled:

Black Winter Day said:
you did a great job with the hammerfall review, ali. for its subject, it was very professionally done... much more so than mine or papa josh's probably would have been!
Thanks...although I'm not sure what PJ's thoughts on Hammerfall are? I know he's a devout fan of Manowar, Dio etc, and they certainly all fall into the same category. Indeed, he might have given it a higher score!

JayKeeley said:
Yeah I wasn't sure if that came out right in the review. What I meant was that people who are into bands like Hammerfall, Manowar etc are quite happy sticking with that tried & tested formula.
No, that came out perfect. I was just saying "not everyone likes weird, fucked up music?" :)

I just listened to the Into Eternity that I have. I don't really think I want to spend the money on the new one. I just don't think they are that original or innovative. They simply combine Dream Theater with Children of Bodom and a little Death. That's not a bad thing . . . just not my thing.

npearce said:
I just listened to the Into Eternity that I have. I don't really think I want to spend the money on the new one. I just don't think they are that original or innovative. They simply combine Dream Theater with Children of Bodom and a little Death. That's not a bad thing . . . just not my thing.
I think this post is wrong on so many levels....wouldn't even know where to begin with a response....

Jay, I was thinking about your Into Eternity review last night while I was walking around town listening to "Buried In Oblivion" on my headphones. I really like that you compared Into Eternity to Pain of Salvation. Though it might not be obvious to most listeners, I think the thing that IE and PoS have in common is that they're two of the only bands in metal that are able to take their vocal arrangements to the next level. Everybody in both bands sing, and they're able to create sophisticated vocal harmonies, trade-offs and multi-tiered arrangements.