18 Volt Mod

dmmi

Mar 23, 2010
Did a search on this forum and can't find any threads on the 18 volt mod.

Has anyone done this to their active EMG's (I believe you can do to blackouts too)

Anyway....thoughts?

Old clips:

81 9v
81 18v
85 9v
85 18v

Both were in the bridge position of my mahogany Ibanez Prestige; I used to really be into the 81 at 18v, but I've kinda gotten tired of it since the diminished focus in the upper mids (and increased woofiness) makes it a bit more of a pain in the ass to seat in a full mix - it does get rid of the sterile quality of the pickup though, but I'd rather use either an 81TW or I guess 89 instead (never liked the 85 except in the brightest of guitars)

I would like to see someone do a test with a pot connected to the battery as a voltage divider, to see if 18volt is the best option, or if there's any "sweet spot" between 0v and 18 volt :p

I use the 18v mod on my basswood guitar (85 on the bridge and 81 on the neck). It sounds better, but I´m afraid I don´t have clips showing side by side. I also use the 18v mod on my bass guitar EMG 35DCs.
Do the mod and check it by yourself, if you don´t like it it´s really easy and painless to reverse (unless you have to carve the wood to fit a second battery, in that case I think I wouldn´t even make the mod)

I would like to see someone do a test with a pot connected to the battery as a voltage divider, to see if 18volt is the best option, or if there's any "sweet spot" between 0v and 18 volt :p

Can't remember where I saw it.....I think ultimate guitar forums, but there is a whole write up on the option you suggest, with the addition of using a push pull pot to activate....de-activate the second battery.

The common consensus was that it doesn't matter.....either you use 9V or 18V.

I think it would be a real pain to wire up just to test for minimal results between 9 to 18 v

I second Marcus's findings. I also really liked the 81 at 18v, but I am finding myself wanting 'that' sound back, the original 81 @ 9v thing...

Can you help me by explaining with tone lingo what you mean by...."that" sound back.

Hahah, you chunk, scoop, sizzle, muffle, etc.

Done it. I could vary the voltage from about 3V to 25V. Once i got up past 13V i couldn't hear much change at all.

I did it so i could have a really foul distortion nob on my guitar (turning the voltage right down makes NAAAASTY noises), there's no advantage to the higher voltages past the point where you're in the clear headroom wise

I like my bridge 85 and my neck 81 running at 18V better. I like the enhanced top and bottom end, personally. Small difference, but I like it, and it's not like the 18V mod was hard to do all.

I wired for 18V on EMDProdukt's guitar, and it was the first time I ever liked an EMG 81. :)

Granted, I was not A/B'ing it in that guitar, but I sort of expect a certain sound out of an 81 and the sound was much fuller and warmer than that. And it did not have that piercing, sqwawking midrange that I hate so much. I understand that the piercing sqwawkiness is what a lot of people are after.....

Yeah, it's a tough call, cuz the aforementioned piercing midrange (which is mainly what contributes to the sterile sound of the pup, as well of course as the more compressed dynamics, but not as much IMO) is absolutely sickening to me for lead playing, though it can sound awesome for rhythms, provided it's in a thick-sounding axe. However, after Metaljonesy's shootout between the 81 and 81TW that demonstrated slight but noticeable differences (in favor of the 81TW, at least IMO), I really wanna give the latter a try!

For like $7 at Radioshack, you can wire up a harness by connecting positive to negative with three 9v battery clips. Just get a 9v battery clip 5-pack and some shrink tubing. Solder and soldering iron required.

See that here, at the bottom: http://home.comcast.net/~mgollihur/emgmod.html

I have a harness that I built, and I've got 6-, 7-, and 8-string guitars all with EMGs. I liked the sound in the 6-string, but in the 7- and 8-, it just ended up too gainy and annoying for my style of playing. Handy device though. If I ever want it for a hot solo or something, though, I just gotta attach it and get rockin'.

No bro. You connect one clip to the clip in the guitar, and the other two clips to batteries. 18v. If you wire up a FOURTH 9v clip, that would be 27v. Which, doing so is safe, but the difference between 18v and 27v in EMGs is negligible.

Oh i see now, sorry, didn't look at the link before.
I still wouldn't want to go to 27V with EMGs, simply because that is the limit that they're rated to not break under IIRC

So I did it last night, and I'm really blown away. My crunch and bite is so much better, without too much fizz. This was the sound I was looking for. I also jumpered a 9V clip and shrinked it so if I decide to go back....snap in and go.

I think a lot of the effects of the mod depend on guitar wood and shape as well, so I would anticipate that some will experience different results.

NOTE***I also bought a high end instrument cable too, so that might be making some difference in tone too.

To anyone considering, I'd say do it, and make a jumper to go back easily if you don't like it. It's like a 5 minute mod for the possibility of huge gain.

Cheers!

For like $7 at Radioshack, you can wire up a harness by connecting positive to negative with three 9v battery clips. Just get a 9v battery clip 5-pack and some shrink tubing. Solder and soldering iron required.

See that here, at the bottom: http://home.comcast.net/~mgollihur/emgmod.html

I have a harness that I built, and I've got 6-, 7-, and 8-string guitars all with EMGs. I liked the sound in the 6-string, but in the 7- and 8-, it just ended up too gainy and annoying for my style of playing. Handy device though. If I ever want it for a hot solo or something, though, I just gotta attach it and get rockin'.

Just a note on your link.....The link instructs to de-solder the negative or black wire from the output jack.....while in theory this would work fine, it separates the voltage to both opposite sides of the load.

The preferred method is to cut the positive or Red wire going to the pups, and the solder in the new 9V clip, Black to the cut wire closest to existing clip, and red to the other side of the cut wire:

Here is a link with more detail:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941907

Cheers!