2 new heavy songs with vocals. Please comment - Recto + 2.0

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

I don't have much time to write a nice big description so here are the basics.

The guitars were recorded a long time ago (as well as the bass) but I changed the tones up after gaining some knowledge from the video Kazrog made about multi-impulse using on the one track.

Drums are all 2.0 and I did a tiny bit of EQ and compression outside 2.0 for the snare and kick, so pretty much all of it is in 2.0.

Vocals were done very quickly with an sm57.

These aren't intended to be final mixes...they're just demos to give us an idea of how the song sounds with vocals, etc. Please give me some feedback and pointers so I can mix them up better for a final version sometime soon.

I am VERY interested in what you think of the songwriting! :D

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1044020/Celephai - Surgeon DEMO.mp3

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1044020/Celephai Vagrant DEMO.mp3

Thanks guys.

404 error on the first link.

Cymbals are bugging me in the 2nd. Whatever is in the centre at the start sounds like a really annoying sample :/

Guitars are uber boomy. Otherwise good.

Don't really dig the vocal style, but that's more taste. The whole thing sounds like a slow Nevermore with death vocals. Oh wow, he actually sounds decent on 'strong', where he holds it up high. But the low notes are not to my taste. Also kinda dull and too high-middy.

Don't dig the kick but its the Sup2 kick and you've done a good job with it, but I'd replace.

I listened to your 1 new song with vocals and I thought the song writing
was good because it held my interest to the end.
The guitars might be uber boomy but your mix is sparse enough to
get away with it so I say keep them that way.

Surgeon is 404 not found dude! noooo!!!

But anyways, I love the guitar tone.

I feel that the vocals could use some more compression or something to sound more aggressive for this genre

Thanks guys! I updated the link to the first one so could you please listen to that one too? It is a bit faster and is more of a balanced mix I feel, and I think the riffs are awesome. :)

No reverb on the guitars at all.

I'm still getting used to 2.0 - do you have any suggestions on how I can make them sound more natural.

How would you suggest I compress things more?

On kick snare and toms in s2.0 I usually use settings like this:

20ms attack
120ms release
4:1 ratio
-6db gain reduction

and also bigass 200hz boosts on all the snare tracks then i control the 200hz region as a whole on a snare group track. might need to cut some or boost some more, depends on the mix.

also compress the living fuck out of the room mics, like DESTROY them and just blend them in liberally. i only have the smallest installation though so i only use the amb close track.

and you need baaaass man!

Thanks man. The bass isn't recorded too well so you're just getting a sort of low rumble that fills out a bit of the low end, but doesn't actually drive the guitars in the way I would like.

I'll try out your other ideas too. :)

What did you think of the songs incidentally?

It's not really my jam musically, but I'm more into really frantic, hyperactive, theophany inducing death metal rather than the mega slow headbanging inducing sort of stuff that you've told me of your fondness for, so I don't really feel like my opinion of the music is really relevant here man.

By the way, the screeches are so fucking randy blythe is hurts, no small compliment. SICKENING. \\\\\m////