All new mix! I need help with drum sound please!

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hey guys,

I got my copy of Superior 2.0 in the mail earlier this week, and while I'm saving more money for the Metal Foundry, I'm obviously messing with what I have right now.

This is just an old song of mine which a lot of you may have heard, with just some line6 tones. I'm at my parents' house for a couple of days, so I just brought my toneport, guitar and headphones, so no Recto/Peavey tones or anything to work with unfortunately. As a result, I haven't heard this through my monitors, so I am not hearing the most accurate representation of the mix, but I figured I'd get some ideas off you guys anyway. It is just a quick test so there are no vocals or solos or quad-tracking happening.

https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1044020/Qyr - 2.0 Demo.mp3

I'm finding 2.0 a lot of fun to mess around with, but it is quite overwhelming at first with regards to just how many tonal shaping options there are available! :D Any help with the drum sound (or the rest of the mix too I guess) is welcome. :)

Thanks man.

I'll be getting a scholarship quite soon so I'll be able to buy metal foundry with a small portion of that. I am looking forward to working with some dedicated metal samples, that's for sure.

Anyone else want to comment please?

I would recommend losing some 400hz in that snare and varying some velocities on the rolls and blasts. The drums sound a tad dark to me. The guitars also sound muffled. I would jack up the volume and lose some low mids.

Thanks man. I'll keep that stuff in mind.

Anyone else care to offer some input before I go ahead and try a second mix?

Snare is quite muffled.. and it sounds like the attack on the comp is just a touch too short, its not letting it all thru. It sounds kinda small because of this.

Kick is awful (S2's fault not yours). Cymbals sound pretty good but a bit separated? I don't know how else to describe it. Try making them softer or scooping some lows.

Hihats sound too closed. I haven't ever used S2 but if there's a note you can change to open them more, do it.