20 years on. (R.I.P. Cliff)

Col_ossus

Formerly Ulster Mosher.
27th September 1986, and I was stunned. Its now 27th September here in the UK, and as I start to celebrate my 33rd Birthday, I'm gonna pay my tributes to Cliff Burton, 20 years dead today. I saw the great man little over a week before he was killed in Sweden, Metallica played the Ulster Hall in Belfast with Anthrax supporting, my first metal gig, and I was hooked on Thrax from here on. Metallica died with Cliff that night, so I'm starting the day off (albeit 00.30 here in the UK) by cranking up Orion, and later on tonight when the birthday celebrations start, I'll raise my glass to Cliff.

:kickass:

I may have mentioned it on thee message board before; that my cousin met cliff and got his autograph when metallica played at the now closed Villa Real civic center..my cousin asked him if metallica were gonna come back and cliff said yeah till next year...in which we all know sadly that didn't happen..I'm 31 and i cannot believe it has been that long..I'll drink one for cliff...R.I.P

Funny thing - I programmed "Blitzkrieg" for my show last night, and didn't give it a second thought until about 15 seconds before the song ended. Perfect timing - wound up giving Cliff a little tribute on the air.

I remember hearing on the WRIF that day just before school. I couldn't believe it! It's hard to believe it's been 20 years. Fuck, I feel OLD.

Here's to you Cliff, :kickass: :headbang:

sad day, a guy that had joined my high school rock band had turned me onto metallica right before RTL came out. He was a bass player to. I remeber sitting in my apartment with him listening to wvvx (i think, help dailyvault !) play metallica all night long as we drank ourselves into comas.

karrokid said:
sad day, a guy that had joined my high school rock band had turned me onto metallica right before RTL came out. He was a bass player to. I remeber sitting in my apartment with him listening to wvvx (i think, help dailyvault !) play metallica all night long as we drank ourselves into comas.

Aahhh... good ol' WVVX, 103.1 FM based out of Highland Park. The show was "RPM - Real Precious Metal," hosted by Scott Loftus and Glen Friedman. I remember those days well, as well as the day I discovered that show and listened until I had to go to bed - only to wake up the next morning to someone babbling jabberwocky in my ear. (I didn't realize at the time it was a brokered station.)

I think they're now a Spanish-language station - don't really know for sure.

Thanks for making me feel old there, amigo! :lol:

Thanks for making me feel old there, amigo!
that's what old guys do, make sure other guys feel the pain of their oldness :lol:

is rebel radio still on the air ?
i know they were a polish radio station by day also.

Yup, Rebel Radio is still around, though they're on the AM side of the dial. The guy who is my co-host (and hosts his own program Thursday nights) used to do a little bit of work on Rebel Radio, though he wasn't there very long.