2004... a great year of metal?

2004... a great year of metal?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • No... it's another shitty year of metal

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
It's pretty sad that the most impressive CD out of those you listed was Nightwish. ;)

I think it falls somewhere in between...the new Exodus was fucking AWESOME, and there were solid efforts from Death Angel and Motörhead, but there was also a lot of crap. I'm looking forward to the new releases from Imagika, Manticora, Kreator, and Judas Fucking Priest to save the day.

Pyrus said:
It's pretty sad that the most impressive CD out of those you listed was Nightwish. ;)

I think it falls somewhere in between...the new Exodus was fucking AWESOME, and there were solid efforts from Death Angel and Motörhead, but there was also a lot of crap. I'm looking forward to the new releases from Imagika, Manticora, Kreator, and Judas Fucking Priest to save the day.

Damn right!!!

Terje "Valfar" Bakken died at the beginning of this year and Windir now are only history. This was really a shitty year for me (and not only from musical point of view)

I'm yet to hear anything all that great. There have been decent releases, but nothing stand out-ish.

Plus a number of bands are releasing stuff when they would be best to just call it a day.

In my opinion, 2004 has been one of the very best years ever for metal. Some of my personal favourites from 2004:

Darkthrone - Sardonic Wrath
1349 - Beyond The Apocalypse
Finntroll - Nattfödd
Drukdh - Autumn Aurora
Deathspell Omega - Si Monvmenvtm Reqvires, Circvmspice
Leviathan - Tentacles Of Whorror
Borknagar - Epic
Insision - Revealed And Worshipped
Malevolent Creation - Warkult
Decapitated - The Negation
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn
Behexen - By The Blessing Of Satan
Cattle Decapiation - Humanure
Gorerotted - Only Tools And Corpses
Monstrosity - Rise To Power
Mayhem - Chimera (OK, perhaps not that good, but much better than I had expected)
Suffocation - Souls To Deny
Vomitory - Primal Massacre

And I haven't even listened to the new Mastodon, Isis and Visceral Bleeding yet.

We've had great albums from:

Mastodon
Keelhaul
Scarve
Arsis
Watain
Capharnaum
Deathspell Omega
Morgion
Esoteric
Old Man Gloom
Drukdh

And good albums from:

Dismember
Burnt by the sun
Electric Wizard
Finntroll
Countess
In-Quest
Necrophagist
The Dilliger escape plan
Neurosis

And possibly stuff still to come from:

Destroyer 666
Solitude Aeturnus
Quo Vadis
Kreator
Nasum

And I know Isis and Pig Destroyer are releasing awesome albums next month. My year has pretty much kicked ass.

2004 has been one of the best years for metal imho. Excellent releases from a number of bands thus far:

Uaral
Mar De Grises
Neurosis
Drudkh
Ocean Chief
Into Eternity
Ufomammut
Esoteric
Witchcraft
Rwake
The Gates of SLumber
Reverend Bizarre
Orodruin
Deathspell Omega
Leviathan
Hate Forest
Nortt
Woods of Ypres
Shining
Arsis
Void of Silence
Eyes of Ligeia
Morgion
Vehemence
Doomsword
Old Man Gloom
Overmars/Fugue
Bergthron
Zebulon Pike
Wyrd
Yeti
Stone Wings
Starchild/Rebreather split

Still to come: Isis, Astrofaes, Pig Destroyer, Solitude Aeturnus (hopefully this year), Nasum, and a few more I cannot remember right now.

all and all I think the last few years have been pretty bitchin. with alot of new bands and albums that are breaking out its like the 80s agian.

Necro Joe said:
I could be wrong but I think these were released last year.
Reverend Bizarre/Orodruin Split (not Harbinger which was at the end of '03 I believe)
Orodruin - Claw Tower and Other Tales of Terror

On the Doomsword, you are correct. My bad. I was thinking of Let The Battle Commence.

:headbang:

Doomcifer said:
Reverend Bizarre/Orodruin Split (not Harbinger which was at the end of '03 I believe)
Orodruin - Claw Tower and Other Tales of Terror
Ah my mistake, I haven't got either of those CDs (I'll have to look in to the split though).

The Doomsword was brilliant, one of the best albums of last year. Though that isn't saying much, I found last year to be far worse than this one or 02.

I forgot about Witchcraft, they can go on my 'great' list.

Necro Joe said:
Ah my mistake, I haven't got either of those CDs (I'll have to look in to the split though).

The Doomsword was brilliant, one of the best albums of last year. Though that isn't saying much, I found last year to be far worse than this one or 02.

I forgot about Witchcraft, they can go on my 'great' list.
I actually thought last year wasn't too bad at all. Some remarkable releases.

As for the Reverend Bizarre/Orodruin split, it is only on vinyl I believe. If the Orodruin songs on the split indicate the next album from Orodruin, I'll be shitting myself. The Reverend Bizarre song is another version of Demons Annoying Me and is Excellent.

Doom the world over.