2004... a great year of metal?

2004... a great year of metal?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • No... it's another shitty year of metal

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
The Chasm's The Spell of Retribution shall slay all.
Only other release that has blown me away this year is Deathspell Omega's Si Monvmentvm Reqvires Circvmspice.

I can't wait for the new Immolation and Arghoslent.

Grave's "Fiendish Regression" is extremely good. Looking forward to Behemoth too, don't see how that can go wrong.

2004 has been an amazing year for metal. so many great albums have come out... just to name a few:

(in no special order)
Arsis - A Celebration Of Guilt
Ribspreader - Bolted To The Cross
Disarmonia Mundi - The Fragments Of D-Generation
Evergrey - The Inner Circle
In Flames - Soundtrack To Your Escape
Death Angel - The Art Of Dying
Withering Surface - Force The Pace
Nightwish - Once
Skyclad - Irrational Anthems
Elvenking - Wyrd

all those albums have been great... but they all come after the best release so far this year...

Leprechaun - The Ultimate Dance!!
Leprechaun is the new band of Damnagoras (Elvenking vocalist). You may have heard the promo song they put on their website. Well my friend is the official artist for the band, and we know Damnagoras... he was nice enough to mail us each a copy of the promo. The album wont be out till sometime next year... but after hearing the 7 track promo i assure you it will own everything =)

www.leprechaun.it

I have a feeling the next Arghoslent album won't meet the standard everyone is expecting. Just a feeling, but I thought I'd share it nonetheless.

Also, I thought Orphaned Land released that album last year? Either way, its not all that great, heh.

I suppose that it depends on what you include in the category "metal".

The biggest selling "metal" CD so far has been VELVET REVOLVER's "CONTRABAND".

While I don't think it's really a metal album, "GET BORN" by JET has sold even more copies (probably going to be certified double platinum -- 2M units-- according to Soundscan, by December).

SHADOWS FALL's "WAR WITHIN" is probably going to be the biggest selling "true metal" album in the United States, but it will fall far short of going 'gold' (probably < 200K copies) in its first year of release.

Aside from about a half dozen other titles, it's been a terrible year for metal by almost any objective measure.

Commercial radio stations (most of which totally suck anyhow) are playing less metal. So are college-FM and other stations.

Internet radio is like a dumb joke: programmed BY losers, FOR losers -- a 100% monetary loss for the 'station owners' in most cases, with none even close to positive cash-flow.

Record companies are passing over more metal bands in favor of packaged acts (Ashlee Simpson, Nelly, Now That's What I call (crap|Music), Usher, Josh Groban, etc.).

All of the the Billboard charts are dominated by Middle of the road, country and western, and aging stars, with hardly any metal at all.

Two U.S. metal tours have been cancelled, with the performers claiming that they were injured (that's to avoid getting sued by tour promoters and venue owners for breach of contracts -- really, the bands just can't afford the financial losses they'd incur by going on a U.S. tour this year). The cancelled tours mean insurance and other revenue losses. That will make promoters, venue owners, and others even more reluctant to book metal bands (especially on tours) next year.

In 2004, Metal is in rotten shape as a form of comercial music.

Personally, I blame the bands themselves, for turning away potential fans, and alienating investors and other backers. Most metal bands today pretty much kill themselves commercially with the image they project of themselves on their websites. They look repulsive; their attitudes and expectations are almost delusional (bands today have no 'business sense' at all); their music has no hooks to grab listeners; and even in concert, most bands fail to establish any rapport with their audiences.