2008 Grammys

Any look at the history of its awards will show that it's always been primarily a popularity contest, with best-selling musicians taking most of the awards. I'm pretty sure it has no basis whatsoever in the actual quality of the music.
... or maybe people have started making musical selections wisely :p

shes big with the black crowd, since she has a throw back R&B style. and she gained huge recognition when she went to rehab, since her hit single is about not wanting to go to rehab.
~gR~

shes big with the black crowd, since she has a throw back R&B style. and she gained huge recognition when she went to rehab, since her hit single is about not wanting to go to rehab.
~gR~

She's also bringing drag back in style. The corporate guys are saying that is supposed to be the next big change in style.

yes, the grammys are shit, because they dont consider undergorund bands, i get the point. but what i was saying is the there were really two contenders who you can call half decent for that category, and one of them was done an injustice, that one being machine head. the blackening is awesome, and aesthetics of hate is great. where as slayer on the other hand, have become shit.

The Grammys regarding metal has always been the most pointless of the bunch. They select a few American bands from the same list of about 10, every year (Lamb of God, Slayer etc.) And usually if Slayer is on there, they'll win purely on name recognition.

Since when did Amy Winehouse garner such massive popularity? I don't remember hearing even a flash of brilliance in any of her music.

She has gotten a lot of name recognition just by being a retarded crack head, mostly.

That being said, she does have a really good voice, and when put in front of good music can produce some really good results.

Her first album frank was just typical synthetic forgettable pop R&B. But her album Back in Black revived a lot of old-school R&B sound, and had some really solid tunes on it.

Granted it is still essentially just pop, so you're not going to find anything really "brilliant" on it, but is pretty good(if you can appreciate that kind of music at all).

The Grammys are just an announcement of the most popular shit that gets forgotten within months after it. Kind of stupid.