2012 Albums of the Year

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
We're about half-way to Christmas, I think it's that time again! There's nothing really coming out the rest of the year, so what have been your notable listens of 2012? I'll kick things off:

Albums I Was Excited About for 2012

• Primal Fear - Unbreakable : was alright. Nothing special but an ok listen.

• Freedom Call - Land of the Crimson Dawn : reasonably good at parts but otherwise disappoint for my tastes. Too much hard rock, not enough power metal. Shadowking was better, I think.

• DragonForce - The Power Within : went in extremely pessimistic but this turned out to be pleasantly surprising. Their new singer is good and there's more melody to the songs.

• Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name : also went in suspicious. Sonata's two album streak of experimenting with prog scared me at first but then grew to love them. This was the same, give it time and it grows into something beautiful.

• Firewind - Few Against Many : very disappointed by this one but also felt Days of Defiance was underwhelming too. Just sounded rather average to me, nothing stood out and tuned out while listening. Yawn.

• Sabaton - Carolus Rex : I love Sabaton & their warfare theme, thus was wary this went somewhere new, King Charles XII and Swedish history?! But the songs are solid, catchy and well made. Big thumbs up.

• LT's Rhapsody - Ascending to Infinity : This was the big one. Big Rhapsody fan and even though Luca is an utterly inspirational musician, I fell in love with Fabio-fronted Rhapsody and worried what this new reincarnation would be. Shouldn't have been afraid - just WOW. Flawless. Didn't just land a decent singer, they landed a phenomenal vocalist who's shot to the all time power metal vocalist list, in my books! Song composition was amazing too, Luca pulled out all the stops. Easily the best album of 2012, in my humble opinion.

• Manowar - The Lord of Steel : biggest disappointment of 2012. The fans wanted the band to springboard from Gods of War, with the 2nd part of the saga or something with the same sort of epic melodies. Three years pass and a remastering comes out. Two more years pass and we get this weak, generic, instantly forgettable offering.

• Reinxeed - Welcome to the Theater: I didn't think this topped their previous album 1912, which really blew me away but it's still a fun album with some great songs.

• Pathfinder - Fifth Element : This simply isn't as well composed as the incredible debut album. It's still very enjoyable symphonic power metal but it feels rushed.

• Kamelot - Silverthorn : not bought it yet, opinion pending.

tl;dr - LT's Rhapsody - Ascending to Infinity wins 2012, hands down for me. This is also just the power metal albums that came out in 2012. Enjoyed great older pm albums this year and plenty of non-pm albums this year :headbang:

I was wondering when this topic was going to appear! I was on the verge of creating it myself :p

My albums of the year always change a little around Christmas when I use my new-found cash to pick up some of the year's albums that I've missed out on. However, I have been keeping track of my favourites so far and am able to provide a list! Unfortunately I didn't get enough new PM this year to list those exclusively... So these are my general albums of the year so far!

#1 : Woods of Ypres - Woods 5: Grey Skies and Electric Light
This album blew me away when I picked it up in April and it's one of the few albums this year that's really stuck with me and inspired me to check out other things. This was the first I'd heard of the band, and my first foray into Doom / Melancholic Rock, but the music was excellent and the lyrics really worked for me. I was absolutely gutted when I heard about David Gold's unfortunate death in late 2011.

The album's melodic, the vocals are superb, and some of it nearly had me tearing up... Definitely my AOTY.

#2 : Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud
In summer, I started exploring the music of Devin Townsend - a man I'd heard many tales of before but hadn't gotten into. It wasn't too long before I was absolutely hooked, and when news of Epicloud reached my ears, it was an instant pre-order.

What I got was a new blend of DT's brilliantly accessible metal. Fun to listen to, easy to pick up, and Lucky Animals was in my head for far too long.

#3 : Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
A lifelong SA fanboy, I was very excited to hear Sonata's new release and it was another preorder. When it arrived, it took a little while to grow on me. It was quite a change from the Days of Grays, but it's in a direction that I think I quite like. The first 3 tracks are killer, the middle pretty impressive - the last few tracks still haven't quite got to me in the same way, and it's not had the same amount of playtime as the above 2 records - hence it's position at #3 in my list.

Very enjoyable - but it doesn't top it for me.

#4 : Sabaton - Carolus Rex
I fear I was suffering something of a Sabaton burnout after I listened obsessively (and went to see them live!) over 2011. In fact, I wasn't even planning on picking this up. I borrowed a copy from a friend and had a listen, and it did rekindle the spark to some extent. The songs are catchy as ever, and they're great fun to sing along to.

If I hadn't listened to them to death prior to 2012, I think this release would definitely be higher on the list.

#5 : Serj Tankian - Harakiri
After a disappointing (for me, at least) second solo outing in 2010 with Imperfect Harmonies, I was curious to see where Serj would go musically with his newest release. I'm pleased to say that in my opinion, Harakiri was something of a return to form. Whilst it isn't as heavy as Elect the Dead or his work with System of a Down, it's still rather catchy and enjoyable rock. Definitely recommended.

Honourable Mentions
Devin Townsend Project - By A Thread (Live in London) : I didn't want to include a live album in my top 5 since all the music came out before 2012 - but damn, this is a great recording.

Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix : Basically, this (Note you may class the album art as NSFW... depending on your work).

Eluveitie - Helvetios : A decent outing by the Swiss Folk / Melodic Death group. There are some pretty damn good tracks (See A Rose for Epona and Meet the Enemy), but it's not consistent enough for me for it to hit the Top 5.

Stuff I Haven't Listened To Yet
Kamelot - Silverthorn
Katatonia - Dead End Kings
LT's Rhapsody - Ascending to Infinity : Wasn't planning on getting this, but after Dom's glowing recommendation, I think I might have to!

Dragonforce - The Power Within
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending to Infinity
Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud

Top albums for me, but honestly this year hasn't really impressed me too much. Lots of so-sos and disappointments (Wintersun's new album being so-so, Kamelot's new album being a disappointment, etc.). Flying Colors was close to making it a top 5 list but falls a little short. Epicloud and Ascending to Infinity are definitely by favorites of them all.

I think I've missed out on quite a lot on the metal scene this year. I did check out the new Dragonforce album, so that will have to be my number one this year. It's better than Inhuman rampage and Ultra beatdown, but it doesn't really match to their first two. But I like it.

One album that I really want to check out from this year would be Luca Turilli's Rhapsody. So I guess that'll be next on my schedule!

Albums I've particularly enjoyed from 2012:

Dragonforce - The Power Within

Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

Epica - Requiem for the Indifferent

I Am I - Event Horizon

Lucas Turilli's Rhapsody - Ascending to Infinity

Magnum - On the 13th Day

Marillion - Sounds That Can't Be Made

Overkill - The Electric Age

Sabaton - Carolus Rex

Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name

But overall I would have to say that Dragonforce's The Power Within is my favourite from 2012.

I've always had a soft spot for this band but am not the fanboy of them I used to be and have come to view their two albums prior to TPW as simply modified, inferior versions of Sonic Firestorm for the most part.

To say TPW is a dramatic improvement over those two albums is an understatement, even though when I first listened to it, it didn't actually do much for me!

Whilst it doesn't quite reach the quality of the first two albums, it isn't far off and more importantly it's different. Generally shorter songs, less everlasting OTT solos, more variety of songs, a great and different new Vocalist, whilst maintaining a sound that is definitely DF, make for a great achievement and an album that needs multiple listens.

Most disappointing Album of 2012?

Without a doubt, the above title goes to:

Manowar - The Lord of Steel

Dom's description of this album is pretty accurate, but let me go one further. This album is embarrassingly shite! How on earth the band thought it was worthy of release in its current state I will never know, the thought simply boggles my mind!

100% agree with your thoughts on The Power Within, Mike!

I also forgot about I Am I's debut. Very solid release, though sometimes I wonder why they didn't "smooth out" ZP's vocals, for lack of a better term, they sound very raw and demo-like at times, especially in songs like Silent Genocide. But there are some wonderful songs on there like In The Air Tonight and Cross The Line (my personal favorites). I need to get the CD edition.

Aye, I Am I's album after two or three listens really grabs you. My main criticism is that there are one or two songs that I find a bit on the boring side, the example springing to mind being 'Kiss of Judas'.

Ascension came out with their debut album "Far Beyond The Stars" in January or February of 2012, honestly can't remember what date, lol. Anyone else got it or checked it out? I'm listening to it as we speak. It's got some really good stuff on there. And I personally recommend Power Metallers to check it out. :D

Cheers on making these really good (and detailed) lists guys (and/or girls). I'll be dropping by the record store tomorrow to check out some of albums. I've sadly been too busy and ill to keep up with my passion for music. :/

A

I checked it out, it actually held up pretty well, definitely a worthwhile listen I'm glad the guys pulled out all the stops. A must for people of the Dragonforce persuasion or loving high pm vocals.

These are albums I actually enjoyed from this year.

1. Ascending to infinity by Luca Turilli's Rhapsody
2. The Electric age by Overkill
3. The power Within by DragonForce
4. Event horizon by ZP's new band

For next year I look forward to Stratovarius's Nemesis.

Sweet names! I tried buying Ascending To Infinity yesterday, however, I'm not allowed to buy from Nuclear Blast Europe it seems. So I must find the album elsewhere. :/ :mad:

Sweet names! I tried buying Ascending To Infinity yesterday, however, I'm not allowed to buy from Nuclear Blast Europe it seems. So I must find the album elsewhere. :/ :mad:
You know that you dont have to buy, right? You can downlo....oh, my bad, I guess its not allowed to discuss these kind of things here. Sorry in advance!