2011 Albums of the Year

Jack Nippleson
May 13, 2007
It's that time again! There's nothing coming out the rest of the year that I'm looking forward to (except Sonata Arctica's live DVD on the 15th), and I already have my top three albums of the year. From #3 to #1:

Symphony X - Iconoclast

Brilliant album, I love this! Completely took me by surprise, too, as I've never been a big fan at all of the band, and Paradise Lost kind of got me interested but still had some meh tracks. Iconoclast rules though. The title track is one of the best songs of the year, in my opinion! And When All Is Lost's guitar solo... wow!

Power Quest - Blood Alliance

Sorry boys, it was an extremely tough decision between this and #1, but let's just say you're tied for first place anyway ;) What can I say about this album that hasn't already been repeated a thousand times here? Absolutely spectacular and I still play it all the time, which is great seeing as it was released almost a year ago! Better Days, Time To Burn, and Sacrifice have entered my top favorite Power Quest songs, but all of them are classic! Every member is on fire and they sound so comfortable, they all gel together very well.

Album of the Year: Stratovarius - Elysium

As a massive Stratovarius fanboy, I think I might be biased, but this album still blows me away in every possible way. Every song is a winner - Move the Mountain has a 'chilly' atmosphere to it and it's a really beautiful ballad, and Lauri Porra and Matias both prove themselves to be amazing songwriters. Lifetime In A Moment is so strange for a band like Stratovarius and yet it sounds so good. Elysium is the best song of 2011 to me - I can't remember the last time I heard such an epic song with such a powerful last section. I get chills and really get that 'wow' sensation every time the last keyboard/guitar solos come in... and the choirs! I would have loved to hear the song when it was originally 30 minutes. Much like Blood Alliance, everybody on the album shines.

Honorable mentions:
Rhapsody of Fire - From Chaos To Eternity
Tyr - The Lay of Thrym
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Alestorm - Back Through Time

Not sure if Imaginaerum will affecting this list, really looking forward to that, but for now the top 5 are following:

1. Rhapsody - From chaos to eternity

Best song:I belong to the stars/Heroes of the waterfall's kingdom

2. Power Quest - Blood alliance

Best song: Sacrifice

3. Dream theater - A dramatic turn of events

BS:Beneath the surface

4. Manigance - Récidive

BS: Délivrance

5. Týr - The lay of thrym

BS: Evening star

As above, waiting for Imaginaereum

Top 4 would be (in no particular order)
Dream Theater: A Dramatic Turn Of Events
Iced Earth: Dystopia
Machine Head: Unto the Locust
Power Quest: Blood Alliance

and 5th spot would be between Amon Amarth: Surtur Rising, Stratovarius: Elysium, Symphony X: Iconclast and Terrorvision: Super Delux

The other new albums I've got from this year are by Queensryche and Radiohead + the Festivals of the Wicked by Iced Earth (and should be getting new Rush live album through)

Oh you lucky bastards, it doesn't come out in the US until early January!

I might be getting more albums from this year yet, so gonna wait until closer to the end to give my official verdict, but Blood Alliance is still my favourite from this year and I don't see that changing.

as far as metal goes i think blood alliance is the only album i have listened to from 2011. i am looking forward to in fear and faith's new album which may be coming out this year. and theocrracy's new album (i don't follow them much so i have no idea when it will be released)

Excellent thread idea. I often deal in terms of 'best X of the year'. In order, for me it's:

ReinXeed - 1912
Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time
Powerwolf - Blood of the Saints
Dreamtale - Epsilon
Pagan's Mind - Heavenly Ecstasy
Stratovarius - Elysium
Symfonia - In Paradisum

Honourable mentions:

Týr - The Lay of Thrym
Rhapsody of Fire - From Chaos to Eternity
Symphony X - Iconoclast
Edguy - Age of the Joker'

Although still have Iced Earth - Dystopia and Megadeth - Thirteen to listen to. And Iron Savior, Dragonland and Andromeda still have albums coming out this month so maybe one of them will rank :)

I really need to give Epsilon another listen... I heard it a couple times and it's easily one of Dreamtale's best albums, and it actually reminds me a lot of early-day Sonata Arctica, with a little bit more 'dance' in the rhythm!

*nods sagely* Really blew me away when they streamed the album as a promo. Wish more bands would do this, it cemented my purchase there and then. Tremendously melodious, wicked keys, vocals and solos. I think the difference between this and other Dreamtale albums is the energy this record has, so bombastic!

Anybody have some additions to make? I know Imaginaerum was recently released in Europe, and there have been some late releases for the year! I cannot believe I forgot to add Magnisphyricon by Sons of Seasons to my list, it's fighting for #3 to push Symphony X out of the top ranking. Such an incredible album.

Even though I've only heard Imaginaerum once(about 10 mins ago) I can safely say it's going to top 3. Just wow, that album really takes you into another world. I'll have to listen to it more times before making a fair judgement, but still, wow!

And Scaretale and Turn loose the mermaids are SO good.

I've really wanted to listen to 1912, but in terms of availability I simply can't get hold of it. It's not up for digital download -anywhere-, and buying a physical copy is, unfortunately, out of my price range right now. So, unfortunately, it won't be making my list.

I've not bought masses of music in 2011, so here's my top 5...
1. Power Quest - Blood Alliance
Perhaps an obvious choice, considering where I'm posting! But, nonetheless, this was a fantastic album. One of the few I've listened to that has lived up to me having masses of hype for it. Better Days and Survive I've listened to countless times and I don't think I'm going to tire of for quite a while.

2. Turisas - Stand Up And Fight
Quite a surprise for me. Previously, I have enjoyed a little of Turisas' stuff, but not to the extent I absolutely loved the direction they took with SUaF. Their metal has gone in a more power-folk-symphonic kind of direction, and it gives it quite an epic sound. Fear the Fear and Stand Up and Fight I seriously enjoyed.

3=. Dragonland - Under the Grey Banner
Since I only got this around christmas, I haven't had time to listen to it yet. However, from the few listens through I've given this album it seems like something right up my street. Some really great symphonic tracks and a storyline with spoken word that manages not to intrude on the music. I look forward to listening through this more. Tracks which have caught my ear include Under the Grey Banner and Durnir's Forge.

3=. Nightwish - Imaginaerum
Another Xmas acquisition - and at first I didn't quite click with Imaginaerum. After a few more spins, I started to really enjoy it. I have a feeling that the more I listen to this, the more I'll appreciate the songs other than the heavier ones which have peaked my ears so far - Storytime is catchy as hell, and I do quite like the longer track of the album, Song of Myself.

5. In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading
According to my last.fm, I haven't listened to this album all that much. But despite the terrible name and what many have thought of as the decline of In Flames, I still enjoyed this album. Anders' voice can sound a little weak at times but the music itself is great - and although some of the tracks can at first (and some at second, third, fourth and fifth..) listen sound quite samey, there are still enough catchy moments in this album to mean that it just stands out above others I've picked up this year. I particularly enjoyed Sounds of a Playground Fading and Ropes.

Honourable Mentions
Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising
Sonata Arctica - Live in Finland (This might not count, but, White Pearl, Black Oceans live! Aah!)
Anthrax - Worship Music

My Top 5 Albums this Year, according to Last.FM
Power Quest - Blood Alliance (747 Track Listens)
Turisas - Stand Up and Fight (383 Track Listens)
Power Quest - Magic Never Dies (324 Track Listens)
VNV Nation - Judgement (318 Track Listens)
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God (275 Track Listens)

I also need to properly listen to the new Dream Theater to see if that would make this list or the honourable mentions..

Here's my 7 favourite records of 2011....in no particular order.....

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events
Nightwish - Imaginaerum
Vicious Rumors - Razorback Killers
Toby Hitchcock - Mercury's Down
Journey - Eclipse
Night Ranger - Somewhere in California
In Flames - Sounds of a playground fading

I've probably missed something I'm sure lol!

I haven't really thought much about favourite albums of the year, but Children of Bodom, Power Quest, Dream Theater, Stratovarius, Nightwish and Symphony X all made top efforts!

No particular order:

Devin Townsend Project - Deconctruction/Ghost

Leprous - Bilateral (became a fan a few months back; what an amazing avant-garde/experimental prog album)

Pathfinder - Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time

Moonsorrow - Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

2. Turisas - Stand Up And Fight
Quite a surprise for me. Previously, I have enjoyed a little of Turisas' stuff, but not to the extent I absolutely loved the direction they took with SUaF. Their metal has gone in a more power-folk-symphonic kind of direction, and it gives it quite an epic sound. Fear the Fear and Stand Up and Fight I seriously enjoyed.

This one impressed me as well. And as you said, enjoyed their earlier stuff a bit before, well, "the varangian way" at least, not heard their first album yet. But I just might order it thanks to "stand up and fight"(the album).