Stratovarius - Elysium

Power_Metal_Dom

Epic Metaller
Aug 8, 2006
Frankfurt, Germany
Stratovarius_Elysium_800px.jpg

Stratovarius are putting the finishing touches on their thirteenth full-length studio album "Elysium" in 5-by-5 studios, Pitäjänmäki, Helsinki, Finland. The album will be released on January 12th, 2011 by JVC in Asia and worldwide on January 14th, 2011 by Edel/EarMusic.

A single with two new songs of "Elysium" will be released on 26 November this year, coinciding with the start date of the "7 sinners world tour" on which Stratovarius will join Helloween as very special guests - kicking off the same day in the Szene, Vienna.

The single also contains a demo track, and two unreleased live tracks recorded earlier this year on Stratovarius’ wildly successful 2009/2010 "Polaris" world tour.

The following tracks will be part of the single (artwork here):

Darkest Hours (from the upcoming album "Elysium")
Infernal Maze (from the upcoming album "Elysium")
Darkest Hours (demo version)
Against the Wind (live recording, Sofia, Bulgaria)
Black Diamond (live recording, Göteborg, Sweden)

Preliminary tracklist of "Elysium": (order of songs and working titles are subject to change)

Heavenly Divine
Infernal Maze
Elysium, part I, II and III
Civilization
Darkest Hours
Under Flaming Skies
No return
New Horizon
Move the Mountain
Castaway (Japan Bonus Track)

Cover artwork by Gyula Havancsák. Band photo by Kimmo Syväri.

Lovely, lovely stuff. I absolutely loved Polaris, and that was apparently hashed together from them sending each other demos! So God only knows what they're capable of with proper time to work on it. Kupiainen breathes new life into a band which Tolkki had long since ran out of ideas for.

Lovely, lovely stuff. I absolutely loved Polaris, and that was apparently hashed together from them sending each other demos! So God only knows what they're capable of with proper time to work on it. Kupiainen breathes new life into a band which Tolkki had long since ran out of ideas for.

Thoughts exactly. Polaris was my fave album for a good while of playing it constantly. Sensational, any more of the same or improved upon would be a new level of happiness :D

:yow: That artwork is INCREDIBLE! Gyula Havancsák is a ridiculously good artist! Is he the same guy who did Polaris's artwork? Strato's last two albums so far have had some of the most beautiful cover art I've ever seen.

Been waiting for info on this album for months... Polaris was an amazing album, loved every song on it. Here's hoping Elysium (what a kickass title!) takes it to another level! I can't wait to hear what Matias brings again, and hopefully TK's singing sounds as smooth and crisp as it did on Cain's Offering.

In short: HELL YEA! :D

EDIT: And just a couple weeks before my birthday... you have some competition early next year, Steve! Better give those Finnish boys a run for their money! :lol:

:yow: That artwork is INCREDIBLE! Gyula Havancsák is a ridiculously good artist! Is he the same guy who did Polaris's artwork? Strato's last two albums so far have had some of the most beautiful cover art I've ever seen.

Been waiting for info on this album for months... Polaris was an amazing album, loved every song on it. Here's hoping Elysium (what a kickass title!) takes it to another level! I can't wait to hear what Matias brings again, and hopefully TK's singing sounds as smooth and crisp as it did on Cain's Offering.

In short: HELL YEA! :D

Steve! Better give those Finnish boys a run for their money! :lol:

i agree 100% with this post

A preview from Stratovarius new EP "Darkest Hours", featuring 2 songs from the new album "Elysium" out on January 12th 2011.
The EP also features a demo version of the title track and 2 live songs that will only be available on the mini album, recorded during the Polaris World Tour.
The EP will be available on CD, digital download and very limited 12" vinyl edition.

Last edited by a moderator:
:kickass::kickass::kickass:

From what I'm hearing, Darkest Hours has that new post-Tolkki Stratovarius sound, with a touch of Cain's Offering... anybody else hear that, or am I insane? The Infermal Maze sample sounds great so far too, it sounds like they're doing some different stuff on Elysium and I can't wait to see what they do!

January can't come fast enough!

Jens revealed the final tracklist today, too:

http://forum.stratovarius.com/viewtopic.php?t=10187

TRACK LIST:
1. DARKEST HOURS 4:11
ISRC DEH841000542
MUSIC BY MATIAS KUPIAINEN
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO, MATIAS KUPIAINEN

2. UNDER FLAMING SKIES 3:52
ISRC DEH841000610
MUSIC BY TIMO KOTIPELTO, MATIAS KUPIAINEN
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

3. INFERNAL MAZE 5:33
ISRC DEH841000543
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

4. FAIRNESS JUSTIFIED 4:21
ISRC DEH841000605
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

5. THE GAME NEVER ENDS 3:54
ISRC DEH841000612
MUSIC BY JENS JOHANSSON
LYRICS BY JENS JOHANSSON

6. LIFETIME IN A MOMENT 6:39
ISRC DEH841000609
MUSIC BY LAURI PORRA
LYRICS BY LAURI PORRA

7. MOVE THE MOUNTAIN 5:34
ISRC DEH841000613
MUSIC BY JENS JOHANSSON
LYRICS BY JENS JOHANSSON

8. EVENT HORIZON 4:24
ISRC DEH841000611
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

9. ELYSIUM 18:07
ISRC DEH841000606
LYRICS BY MATIAS KUPIAINEN, TIMO KOTIPELTO

10. CASTAWAY (JAPAN BONUS TRACK) 4:40
ISRC DEH841000614
MUSIC BY LAURI PORRA
LYRICS BY LAURI PORRA

The preview sounds very promising! Polaris will take a lot of beating but I have no doubt these guys are gonna deliver us another sublime album. Artwork is amazing... I take it it's the same guy who did the Polaris artwork?

No no NO.

The last thing we need is more musicians passing away. There have been far too many casualties this year alone... does this mean Jorg will be fine in the end, since they removed his entire thyroid?

Anyway, the most important thing is that they think they got all the bad stuff out and that the end result is that we just fix that sentence I wrote above.

I really hope so. Jorg is an incredible drummer... I absolutely wish all the best for him, cancer is a horrible disease that nobody should ever suffer through. You can do it, Jorg!