Stratovarius - New Album And Single coming

Metaldrumz

Jul 18, 2002
Stratovarius are putting the finishing touches on their thirteenth full-length studio album "Elysium" in 5-by-5 studios, Pitäjänmäki, Helsinki, Finland. The album will be released on January 12th, 2011 by JVC in Asia and worldwide on January 14th, 2011 by Edel/EarMusic.

A single with two new songs of "Elysium" will be released on 26 November this year, coinciding with the start date of the "7 sinners world tour" on which Stratovarius will join Helloween as very special guests - kicking off the same day in the Szene, Vienna.

The single also contains a demo track, and two unreleased live tracks recorded earlier this year on Stratovarius’ wildly successful 2009/2010 "Polaris" world tour.

View more info here....

http://forum.stratovarius.com/viewtopic.php?t=10164

Stratovarius_Elysium_800px.jpg

Stratovarius_Single_800px.jpg

...yawn...

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but the only Stratovarius album I could get into and care for is Dreamspace. And by care for I mean it's in my top 20 albums (used to be in my top 10 even).

I've been meaning for years to read more about the album, and doing so now, I guess it was kind of a one-off for the band that they seem to now regret. Quite a shame. I think to this day it's a hell of a one of kind album and stands quite tall over the normal power metal fare.

Maybe it's because Dreamspace was the first album I've heard from them, but when I heard their more recent stuff I did a :guh: and wondered if it was the same band....

Maybe it's because Dreamspace was the first album I've heard from them, but when I heard their more recent stuff I did a :guh: and wondered if it was the same band....

It's not. There literally isn't a single member of the Dreamspace lineup in the current Stratovarius.

earMUSICofficial has released in their YT channel a teaser of Stratovarius's new EP "Darkest Hours", (Release date Nov 24.) featuring 2 songs from the new album "Elysium" out on January 12th 2011.

Based on this teaser the new material sounds amazing, cant wait!

Here's the "Elysium" tracklist with credits. The band obvíously has faith in Matias Kupiainen as he seems to carry the burden of the main songwriter on this CD.

TRACK LIST:
1. DARKEST HOURS 4:11
ISRC DEH841000542
MUSIC BY MATIAS KUPIAINEN
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO, MATIAS KUPIAINEN

2. UNDER FLAMING SKIES 3:52
ISRC DEH841000610
MUSIC BY TIMO KOTIPELTO, MATIAS KUPIAINEN
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

3. INFERNAL MAZE 5:33
ISRC DEH841000543
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

4. FAIRNESS JUSTIFIED 4:21
ISRC DEH841000605
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

5. THE GAME NEVER ENDS 3:54
ISRC DEH841000612
MUSIC BY JENS JOHANSSON
LYRICS BY JENS JOHANSSON

6. LIFETIME IN A MOMENT 6:39
ISRC DEH841000609
MUSIC BY LAURI PORRA
LYRICS BY LAURI PORRA

7. MOVE THE MOUNTAIN 5:34
ISRC DEH841000613
MUSIC BY JENS JOHANSSON
LYRICS BY JENS JOHANSSON

8. EVENT HORIZON 4:24
ISRC DEH841000611
LYRICS BY TIMO KOTIPELTO

9. ELYSIUM 18:07
ISRC DEH841000606
LYRICS BY MATIAS KUPIAINEN, TIMO KOTIPELTO

10. CASTAWAY (JAPAN BONUS TRACK) 4:40
ISRC DEH841000614
MUSIC BY LAURI PORRA
LYRICS BY LAURI PORRA

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know why I never really got into Stratovarius before. Being a keyboard player, I've loved Jens' work since the early Yngwie stuff. Really like "The Last Viking" he did with his brother.

I like what I'm hearing with those samples, think I'll pick this album up.

This board is costing me way too much money!

Samples sound.... like Stratovarius. In other words, good.

This has got to be one of the most impressive cover artworks I've ever seen. Great great work.

Interview with MATIAS KUPIAINEN of Stratovarius:

So Matias, you’ve been in the band for about two years now. How has the journey been so far?

So far so good. The guys have been very mellow and very nice to work with, so absolutely no reason to complain.

And with Timmo Tolki being in the band for such a long time, how was it to fill those shoes? Did you feel any pressure?: In the beginning of course. I felt a lot of stress and pressure when we first started rehearse the old songs, and at the beginning of the Polaris tour. But now its piece of cake, it’s easy. We’ve now done two records together and proved that we still can compose great songs, so it’s all good.

So how was it to enter the studio for the first time?: Well you have to remember, when we first started to record the Polaris album...

Read the whole interview at http://www.getmetal.com/?p=6347