04. Without You - 5:51
05. Kiss Of Fire - 5:09
06. Charon - 6:06
07. Hell And Back - 9:23
08. In My Darkest Hour - 4:22
09. Run With The Devil - 5:38
10. Swansong - 7:29
11. Legend - 6:29

Which brings us to a total of: 65:59 which I'm sure is off by 1 second and the actual running time is, of course, 66 minutes.

so official tracklengths are in, and these were all accurate aside from the first track.

So we have a total running time of 62:58, I guess no significance there.

Yeah, not gonna pay much attention to the review based on what the second sentence says, but this line at least...
Still I think it’s the band’s most varied album to date.

That line means there should be at least some enjoyable stuff for everyone, especially those of us who didn't love "Nevermore".

"Without You" is now on Spotify.

I like the acoustic parts, but the chorus is fairly generic metal :/

i really like without you..its a good song, very melodic, catchy, not prog...i dont think chorus is generic metal, SyX always had thar 80s ballad feel in their mellow songs...this is one of those songs...other parts of the song reminds me on communion and the oracle....its a song you can play to your girlfriend and you ll both enjoy

The middle acoustic section with the DWOT vibes was pretty neat. Definitely something different to them in a way I doubt anyone around here will like lol.

The album's gonna be very diverse I think. Not a bad song, and we'll see how it will sound in the album.

Interesting time sig and tempo changes, and the break after the solo is nice...
but what the Hell is going on with SX? As a whole, I do not like this track at all. I could list so many negatives... but I'll refrain.
Definitely not a buy for me. I guess it's time for me to move on!

I like the song - it's a nice AOR song with some Symphony X thrown in.
Since I like AOR, I have nothing against this in general and it shows a new side of Symphony we havent heard before :)

But I think I also see what you are missing in that song...it is the second song from the album that has a more straight and simple approach.

I guess there are very few bands that can continue to write complex AND diverse AND approachable music over a long period of albums without repeating themselves or changing direction somehow...

Hm. Well, at least it's something different. Much more "rock" than metal and they seem to be doing some new things (for them) melodically on this album. My positives are that Russell sounds very good, Lepond actually has some space to play this time and that the keyboards get to contribute a little during the instrumental break. Also, the lyrics are lame, but not outright embarrassing to listen to.

Biggest negative is that I simply do not get the transition into the chorus at all. Feels cut and pasted. The switch from the verses into the pre-chorus works great and so does the chorus leading back into the verse, but not that one. If they wanted to shake things up more, they could've just added some actual prog instead.

Overall, it's more interesting than "Nevermore" if nothing else. I'm looking forward to the album tracks as this proves that there is indeed going to be some diversity.

i have listened to it like 50 times today....i cant get it out of my head. SyX really knows how to make fluid and smooth song, this song is beautiful..prechorus and chorus is lifting surprise every time i hear it. these guys are genious

i dont get all discussion about are they (still) prog...gues what, WHO CARES?! its just music, its great music, try to look it that way.....and if you are fans than you should know that Romeo hates when people are saying that SyX is prog/symphonic/power, he never said that SyX is prog or trying to be prog. he always says "we just play metal music"..he never labeled his own music other than metal

And their songs always had classic rock in them because Russell is classic rock guy, he doesent even like prog

and if you are fans than you should know that Romeo hates when people are saying that SyX is prog/symphonic/power, he never said that SyX is prog or trying to be prog. he always says "we just play metal music"..he never labeled his own music other than metal

i always wondered why on their first few albums it said "file under progressive metal" or something like that

i dont get all discussion about are they (still) prog...gues what, WHO CARES?! its just music, its great music, try to look it that way.....and if you are fans than you should know that Romeo hates when people are saying that SyX is prog/symphonic/power, he never said that SyX is prog or trying to be prog. he always says "we just play metal music"..he never labeled his own music other than metal

You should understand, after liking and living songs like "The Edge of Forever", "Through the Looking Glass", "Communion and the Oracle" or "Awakenings" (and i´m only mentioning my favorites), what would you expect?

I liked "Without you". But I miss complexity and "prog" so much in their music. Gentleman of the Snow say it earlier, it´s time to move on. I have to admit, I`ll still have a (Drunken) Listening Party with my friends when I get the album.

You should understand, after liking and living songs like "The Edge of Forever", "Through the Looking Glass", "Communion and the Oracle" or "Awakenings" (and i´m only mentioning my favorites), what would you expect?

I liked "Without you". But I miss complexity and "prog" so much in their music. Gentleman of the Snow say it earlier, it´s time to move on. I have to admit, I`ll still have a (Drunken) Listening Party with my friends when I get the album.

i like those songs too, but i like new ones too...its just, i dont except from them to do songs like they used to, they were 15-20 year younger, time has changed, they changed, evolve, things are different and its a good thing...
and other thing, i dont think they lack of progy stuff...walls of babylon? revelation?iconoclast? prometheus?when all is lost? reign in madness? thats not prog enough for you?
what means prog? long duration of the songs? complexity? well i think serprent kiss is complex enough, every song by SyX is complex (but smooth and fluid, that combination is something i like)

they are mature enough to know that band needs to play FOR the song..if they had put some prog sweep tapping neoclassic bullshit in "without you" they would impress a few prog geeks but they would ruin the song

The middle acoustic section with the DWOT vibes was pretty neat.

Yes. Just listen to 3:20-4:03 and compare that to DWOT 4:10-4:53.

Also, listen to the change at 4:42-4:47 and compare to Paradise Lost at 5:19-5:24.

And I said this before: The first 13 seconds of Nevermore reminds me a little of Evolution at 0:10-0:23, but definitely with a new angle.

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far from these early releases. I'm VERY excited about what is to come.

This Scream Magazine review provides a sneak peek into the rest of the tracks.

Here's some more cool sounding stuff from MJR:

“It's hard not to look at old Scorpions”, laughs Michael, asked about 'Charon', the album's most “Middle eastern-sounding” composition. “We knew we wanted to have a song that got into those tonalities. Again, it’s different than the other ones, but it doesn’t sound like it doesn’t belong. Another favourite of mine is 'Hell And Back', which is melodic and a little reminiscent of some of our stuff from years back; it’s proggy, with a lot of different things going on in the arrangement of it. We didn't have a 20-minute song, so at nine minutes, it seemed like we needed a song that has some length, goes here, dips down here, a little heavier here, and that song was that. And then it’s back to our overarching view of the record, where 'In My Darkest Hour' is hammering the theme of combining a really cool riff with a solid chorus, but with a twist to the arrangement, with the bass kind of taking over for the verse.”

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/tontraeger/cd/symphony-x-underworld.html