2015 Symphony X Album News

i like those songs too, but i like new ones too...its just, i dont except from them to do songs like they used to, they were 15-20 year younger, time has changed, they changed, evolve, things are different and its a good thing...
and other thing, i dont think they lack of progy stuff...walls of babylon? revelation?iconoclast? prometheus?when all is lost? reign in madness? thats not prog enough for you?
what means prog? long duration of the songs? complexity? well i think serprent kiss is complex enough, every song by SyX is complex (but smooth and fluid, that combination is something i like)

they are mature enough to know that band needs to play FOR the song..if they had put some prog sweep tapping neoclassic bullshit in "without you" they would impress a few prog geeks but they would ruin the song

No, this is not about tapping neoclassic shit or long duration of the songs. I think prog is about evolving, but i´m not talking about the band´s evolution, i´m talking about the genre´s evolution, in its own obvious complexity.

Symphony X could be doing now some great stuff but still, as a musician I feel a lot more inspired with bands like Haken or Leprous, which are doing more new, adventurous and risky things within music, or within prog.

All my interest and almost my whole perception about harmony, melody, songwriting, soloing and even some vague ideas about counterpoint, ostinatos and orchestration were cemented on on Symphony X old stuff. And I used to think that was their line, and I also think it´s easy to see that some of those things have been simplified over time (If not all?).

But, at the end, you now, this is really only a subjecitve theme. SX can and should do anything theay please. And I admit I could be overreacting.

Lets wait the album and see what they have to say.

Oh, and I almost forgot, they ruined for me "When All is Lost" with that unnecesary second guitar solo almost at the end of the song, and the less impressed about it surely were some of those prog geeks you talk about. So, you know, shit happens.

No, this is not about tapping neoclassic shit or long duration of the songs. I think prog is about evolving, but i´m not talking about the band´s evolution, i´m talking about the genre´s evolution, in its own obvious complexity.

Symphony X could be doing now some great stuff but still, as a musician I feel a lot more inspired with bands like Haken or Leprous, which are doing more new, adventurous and risky things within music, or within prog.

All my interest and almost my whole perception about harmony, melody, songwriting, soloing and even some vague ideas about counterpoint, ostinatos and orchestration were cemented on on Symphony X old stuff. And I used to think that was their line, and I also think it´s easy to see that some of those things have been simplified over time (If not all?).

But, at the end, you now, this is really only a subjecitve theme. SX can and should do anything theay please. And I admit I could be overreacting.

Lets wait the album and see what they have to say.

Oh, and I almost forgot, they ruined for me "When All is Lost" with that unnecesary second guitar solo almost at the end of the song, and the less impressed about it surely were some of those prog geeks you talk about. So, you know, shit happens.

i understand what you are saying. i like your vision of prog. Leprous are cool, i love Soen too.
but i never thought that SyX is that kind of prog band, they are not trying to be...i do understand what would you like from SyX..it all about expectations from each one of us. whatsoever, i believe you will find some interesting songs or parts on new album, you maybe wont be thrilled but u could be pleased..cheers!

Thanks for this! Two really interesting MJR quotes:

“There is something else I can fill you in on that’s pretty slick”, offers Michael, somewhat conspiratorially. “When the whole Dante thing came about and we were doing some research and looking at the Inferno, you see this number three cropping up all the time. I guess he wrote the verses in sets of three and there's 33 cantos per part, and there's all this play on three, six, nine, 33. So we injected some of that, and you probably wouldn’t realize it unless you were looking for it. For example, the first song, ‘Nevermore’, it’s three syllables and the melody is a three-note phrase. There's three references to three of our old songs from our third record. There's shit like that all over the place. Some more than others - there are some songs on the record that are left the way they were. But sometimes there's a three-note riff or there's a six-note riff, or there's a multiple of three words in a chorus. There's intentional things here and there. You gotta have fun, dude, and enjoy what you’re doing (laughs) - make it interesting for yourself too.”

That makes me so interested for the record! Can't wait to dig into it. And concerning everyone who's whining about the progginess:

“We're not just making records for players or deep, deep prog metal fans. I think when you start out, yes, you want to show your skills and you want to prove what you do. But as time goes on, especially with us, it's, 'What is the song about? ' 'What's the right thing for the song? ' So it's more enjoyable for everybody, and you don't have to necessarily be a musician to get it. And that's where we're at now. We're trying to craft good songs, and yet still have some fun playing - of course, it's always fun to sprinkle some of the chops thing in. But yeah, with »Underworld«, it's definitely about the whole album. And that's what we're preoccupied with now, and love about this band. Sure, there are lots of different bits still, lots of what SYMPHONY X is known for, but there's so much more to worry about now (laughs).”

For all interested in more infos about Underworld, here is another review that does an overview over the albums tracks.

http://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/symphony-x-underworld/

It seems like Pinella has some work to do afterall :)

Here a citation about the title track:
"The albums title track features the majestic keyboard work of Pinnella and some tasty guitar licks from Romeo. This song has all the trademarks that Symphony X fans have come to expect from the band. Allen’s vocals are laced with venomous rage during the verses and he shows his range and melodic side during the bridge and chorus. Michael Romeo’s guitar virtuosity is on full display with his neo-classical style and ability to shred and trading leads with keyboardist Pinnella."

For all interested in more infos about Underworld, here is another review that does an overview over the albums tracks.

http://www.ladyobscure.com/albums/symphony-x-underworld/

Thanks for that! Gives me good vibes about the new album.

Favorite quote:

"Russell Allen alternating from a vicious beast during the verses and turning on a dime as his vocals soar into the stratosphere during the bride and chorus."

Well, good for Russell. He's come a long way since beating down the ma'am.

i always wondered why on their first few albums it said "file under progressive metal" or something like that

Well, because that's what they play. You can't rely deny your own musical influences out of existence. A lot of bands understandably don't like labels, but...if it quacks like a duck, not much you can do.

“We're not just making records for players or deep, deep prog metal fans. I think when you start out, yes, you want to show your skills and you want to prove what you do. But as time goes on, especially with us, it's, 'What is the song about? ' 'What's the right thing for the song? ' So it's more enjoyable for everybody, and you don't have to necessarily be a musician to get it. And that's where we're at now. We're trying to craft good songs, and yet still have some fun playing - of course, it's always fun to sprinkle some of the chops thing in. But yeah, with »Underworld«, it's definitely about the whole album. And that's what we're preoccupied with now, and love about this band. Sure, there are lots of different bits still, lots of what SYMPHONY X is known for, but there's so much more to worry about now (laughs).”

This seems to me like a veiled way of saying "we sold out." As in, that's the politest way you can say it so that people will take your meaning without being offended. There's always this weird false dichotomy between music that's somehow 'hard' and music that 'does what's right for the song' or whatever. As if using your skills instead of sitting on them meant you couldn't write well, or something! Do the Divine Wings not 'do what's right for the song?' Oh, please! The hidden message seems to be people are too dumb for the good stuff -- throw in some polymeter and they'll be like, 'huh?' I doubt it, we don't need to be condescended to, people can appreciate good music, you don't have to water it down for them.

That really is a sad quote. He's flat out admitting to the fact that he's compromising his creativity and artistry just to make it "more enjoyable for everybody". I just have to laugh at the "it's about the whole album now"/"we're thinking about what's right for the songs" comments. I mean, wow. Imagine if they had that attitude back when they were working on V!

Anyway, I hope the "things that Symphony X is known for" are more abundant throughout the remainder of the album. In both of the songs so far, the only "ah, that sounds like the good old Symphony X I know"-type parts have literally been small snippets of music lifted from old songs.

One of the biggest surprises on the album comes on the fast, and heavy as hell Kiss of Fire. Drummer Jason Rullo gets to flex his metal muscles with some incredible drumwork, even pulling off some blast beats, much to my surprise, yet they fit the song perfectly!

Not gonna lie, that's the most exciting info from that review. After hearing "Heretic", this is what I had expected all along from the next album. If they want to be 100% metal now, they should push that envelope all the way!

I'm jumping in to agree that that quote is very sad.
If anything, having skills and chops allows you to write BETTER music.

If writing "for the song" and trying to convey feeling is what they're attempting with the new stuff, I really don't know what to say... I feel nothing when I listen to the 2 singles.

Leprous The Congregation couldn't be more non-traditional, but the songs feel complete and with purpose.

If Romeo truly believed what he was saying, there wouldn't be a guitar solo every track. There was no need for a guitar solo in Without You.

It upsets me to see SX going this way.
I lost Opeth, Porcupine Tree, SX, and PoS (though I enjoyed their Road Salt albums, just nowhere near as much as their previous masterpieces. Oh, and all members except Daniel are gone. Oh, oh, and the new Acoustic release didn't do it for me either)

I'm jumping in to agree that that quote is very sad.
If anything, having skills and chops allows you to write BETTER music.

If writing "for the song" and trying to convey feeling is what they're attempting with the new stuff, I really don't know what to say... I feel nothing when I listen to the 2 singles.

Leprous The Congregation couldn't be more non-traditional, but the songs feel complete and with purpose.

If Romeo truly believed what he was saying, there wouldn't be a guitar solo every track. There was no need for a guitar solo in Without You.

It upsets me to see SX going this way.
I lost Opeth, Porcupine Tree, SX, and PoS (though I enjoyed their Road Salt albums, just nowhere near as much as their previous masterpieces. Oh, and all members except Daniel are gone. Oh, oh, and the new Acoustic release didn't do it for me either)

Time to move on to neo-prog I'm afraid...

i understand what you are saying. i like your vision of prog. Leprous are cool, i love Soen too.
but i never thought that SyX is that kind of prog band, they are not trying to be...i do understand what would you like from SyX..it all about expectations from each one of us. whatsoever, i believe you will find some interesting songs or parts on new album, you maybe wont be thrilled but u could be pleased..cheers!

I'm glad we understand each other, as you see there are some of us who are expecting something on this new SX that should be seek on another bands or even genres, but that doesn't mean everyone should seek the same thing, even on them.

This album promises variety (PL and IC weren't diverse for me, but Twilight in Olympus or the Odyssey were, so there is a sense of freshness in there), i'm curious about Charon, Hell and Back and Swan Song. "Underworld" may surely won't make my 2015 any different, but at least is distracting me even I haven't heard it yet :lol:

Soen sounds good man, I didn't know them.

Since I listen to all kinds of music styles, I am always "just" looking for music that gives me the right feel - that is compact, complex and melodic at the same time with just the right amount of power and catchyness - and for me those two new tracks deliver that, so I am very much looking forward to the new album.

And since my favorite album is V, but my second favorite is Iconoclast (when skipping the second CD, except Reign in Madness, which is just fabulous!), I am very open to what they have to offer.

For all, who are interested, here is another review (even though the language is cringeworthy at times):
http://www.metal-temple.com/site/catalogues/entry/reviews/cd_3/s_2/symphony-x-underworld.htm

All 3 of the early reviews I have read from folks posting here seem to be pretty darn positive. Those that mention individual tracks really seem to show that there's plenty of diversity to this album we just haven't heard yet. There's gonna be a bit of this and a bit of that and I think at the end of the day we can all find something in the album to be satisfied with regardless of taste.

When I first came here I thought it was a forum about Symphony X, but it seems it’s not. Reading this thread and the other ones, I came to the conclusion that not only metal is not very popular around here, Symphony X aren’t either.

Time to move on to neo-prog I'm afraid...

No bloke, it’s not that simple. People will not move on. They will keep on coming to this forum to bitch about the band over and over again, and tell us how the “new” Symphony X suck and how much better the “old” Symphony X were, or how great other bands are compared to Symphony X these days.
It gets really tiring after a while reading about Symphony X past greatness and their current “decadence”, doesn’t it? If you pay attention, most of the posts in this forum are not about the band anymore. They’re about how they, the old fans, want their former unknown secret band to be, about the nostalgic days of yore when they and just half a dozen friends attended the concerts and knew the band . It’s THEIR band, the new fans are ridiculed just because they like the “new” Symphony X and have embraced them. Most people don’t come here to share information about the band, talk about an interview given by a band member, review a Symphony X live gig they’ve been to, or reveal the latest setlist. No, the forum has become a cyberdivan, where people come to air their grievances to fellow mourners and lament the passing of a former great band. What a bunch of narcissistic, egomaniac so-called fans: I want, I need, I, I, I, I, I…..ad infinitum, the ubiquitous I! How many new fans posted here last year? I think new fans feel intimidated by the barrage of negative things written here about the band. If I didn’t know, I’d say that this is not a Symphony X forum

Most people have definitely moved on. This place becomes more dead every passing year. There's just a few people who will still listen to the new songs and then post their honest feelings about them. And really, it seems to be about a 50/50 split of opinions here regarding the new songs. Maybe a little more positive than that. The reaction is similar in other places I visit as well. Just because it's a Symphony X forum, you can't expect the posts here to be 100% fanboy gushing like a couple of those reviews linked earlier appear to be.

Interviews are always posted and discussed. It's just been a long time since there has been one to post. The setlists have been exactly the same since Iconoclast so there's not much to say about that either when they do play gigs. I doubt new fans are "intimidated" by anything. The main reason there aren't many new members is because forums are a relic of the old internet. They're all over on on the band's FB page.

Just because it's a Symphony X forum, you can't expect the posts here to be 100% fanboy gushing like a couple of those reviews linked earlier appear to be.

Yes, but I expect some reasonable and honest criticisms here. People created some principles of good and innovative music, and judge SX here according to them. And it is quite dumb to compare Leprous and Symphony X, and I can stand by this with countless valid arguments. I can tolerate or sympathize with even such untrue arguments, but it gets worse and unbearable when they are repeated in every opportunity to bash the new SX or bash anything that makes anything bad according to their principles...

Some of those principles are:

Less keyboards = bad SX, or an egocentric Romeo etc.

Less complex and hard to play stuff = Hey come on, SX has no right to give us some music that any band can play

I can make a bigger list about this, but will not bother...