2018 album

The guys are in northern Norway right now, filming a music video probably for Wrong Direction. At least Pekka Kainulainen tagged an Instagram post with it.

The Golden Elk seems to be the lead single though.

Reactions: Brell
I have yet to get through the end of the video without getting a little misty-eyed! That growl after the 3rd chorus mixed with Pekka's performance, and the beautiful climactic playing from the band....it beat the shit out of my feels all weekend haha!

Kun taivas taas on pimeä, ja tuuli tuo askelten äänet
Odotan puun alla, vaanin varjojen välissä
Ensin tulevat korpit, kieppuvat kulkueen yllä
Vanha vaimo on sanaton, sinun sanasi käärmeen kuiskaus on

Reactions: tuonelan and Brell
Bought the digital today CD with bonus tracks should be arriving soon...

Will require some repeat listens before settling on thoughts because Queen is definitely not instant and I'd suggest that's encouraging :) But what is instantly clear is that this is a darker, and arguably heavier record even than their recent releases!

Time to dig in \m/

Reactions: Brell
Will require some repeat listens before settling on thoughts because Queen is definitely not instant and I'd suggest that's encouraging :) But what is instantly clear is that this is a darker, and arguably heavier record even than their recent releases!

Agreed. This is a very complex and layered album. I have a feeling it will take some time to discover all the little hidden details that are in these songs. Those types of albums are usually the best ones!

Yep, this is clearly a more progressive approach than pretty much anything they've released with Joutsen.

On a side note, my Youtube upload of My Kantele (2010 version) has seen an improved viewer performance since the release of The Bee. Had to check this because the video started getting more comments than usual, and the average daily viewership has gone up by about 60.

Reactions: tuonelan and Brell
I would say that it's Bogren that is making the difference, but I think the real difference is that the band realized that they needed someone like Bogren to make the band work as well as it could. Amorphis needed someone who was biased and ambitious, but none of them could be that person and still function as a band. No more smoothing edges and comfort zones.

Have only listened through once, but I hear lots of material that echoes older songs in chord progressions or in structure or feel. In the past this would have led to compromises and repetition. Bogren can throw something at them that takes away that sense of comfort and familiarity in a way that none of them can without upsetting the personal dynamics. That keeps things fresh and keeps the creative tension in place (I'm looking at you, Amon Amarth) while still allowing Amorphis to sound like Amorphis (coughOpethcough).

Best decision they have made since they brought Tomi J on board. As one of them pointed out in one of the many interviews they did leading up to the release, it lets them focus on being musicians and on their performance, rather than on the production.

Reactions: Brell and Luoto