24.75 or 25.5

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
What are most of you guys using?

From the little knowledge I have on the subject, a shorter length will provide easier use of heavier strings and fatter tone because of the heavier strings...

I'm interested to hear from a drop-tuned crowd. It seems like a lot of guys play schecters around here. (I personally played a few when I was a n00b and didn't really like them.) The only company I know of who does the 24.75 is obviously gibson.

Any cool tid bits anyone cares to share on the subject?

depends on the type of song for me. if its a melodic, heavy song that requires a smoother sound I go with my 25.5" scale. now if its a heavy ass rock song that needs some dirt and grit, then I go with my 24.75" SG. I find the 24.75 to be quite a bit more nasty and aggressive than a 25.5", and it usually doesnt work as well for a modern metal sound as a 25.5 IMO. not sure if it really matters in the recording process, but thats what it FEELS like in my hands.

25.5 inch scale guy here. Technically I don't drop tune, but I do use 7 string guitars. For anything below C#, I tend to think 25.5 inches is optimal.

24.75 here, I'm more of a rock guy than a metal one though. I don't drop tune that much, except maybe to Drop C occassionally.

I use ridiculously heavy strings in just Drop D though. I think I'm on 11-52.

I use both... love 24.75 for easy playing and bending but prefer 25.5 for is sound. Chords have more ringing quality imho

I use a little of both - I have the following guitars with these general tuning preferences for each.

• Ibanez RGR420EX 25.5" tuned to C Standard with Ernie Ball 2215 10-52s most of the time for much of my heavier stuff.
  • Ibanez ART300 24.75" tuned to either E Standard or Drop D, with Ernie Ball 2215 strings as well, for my more Rock N Roll sounding, Nu-Metal Riffage.
  • SX Hawk RN 25.5" tuned to E Standard or E♭, with Ernie Ball 2221 10-46, for Classic Rock tones, older metal, general playing.
  • Squier Classic Vibe Tele 25.5" tuned to E Standard or E♭, with Ernie Ball 2221 10-46, for Classic Rock tones, older metal, general playing, and for my recent dabblings into hybrid picking techniques (I've always been a traditional alternate picker, but really want to learn how to hybrid pick. While I'm not that great of a finger stylist, I can get by, but combining the two has proven to be quite the challenge, my timing is all screwed up.)

My ART300 is the easiest of the bunch to experiment with alternate tunings, but even the RGR420EX is not that bad given the fact that I've blocked the tremolo, but I tend to pretty much keep them as I have them setup as listed above.

I use both. Don't even really notice a big difference other than it takes a minute to get used to the harmonic nodes between the two.

Where's love for that PRS 25" scale?? baaaahhahaha

The longer the better, at least as far as tuning/intonation/string tension in the studio goes. I really wish Schecter had a 26.5" baritone C1 without a gay 12th fret inlay!

I'm pretty sure the C-1 ex baritone only has dot inlays... Or do you want no inlays at all?

I really wish there was a Japanese or an American made baritone 6-string that doesn't have to be custom ordered for thousands of dollars.

I think my guitar is a 25.5, for any tunings lower than drop C I will use a set of 56 strings, and they are just perfect for drop B or completely down like a 7 string, they get a bit floppy they when I went down to drop A.

Where's love for that PRS 25" scale?? baaaahhahaha

I'm pretty sure the C-1 ex baritone only has dot inlays... Or do you want no inlays at all?

I really wish there was a Japanese or an American made baritone 6-string that doesn't have to be custom ordered for thousands of dollars.

The old model has dots but the 2009 model has this horrid "Blackjack" playing card inlay at the twelfth fret :erk:

schecter-blackjack-c-1-ex.jpg

If I could find an old model for cheap or one of the LTD MHB-400s that would be sooo sick... The 26.5" scale on the Schecter though seems great, not as long as the usual 27" so the change wouldn't be as drastic...

Good GOD I hate that inlay :yuk: And they added a knob and replaced the awesome blade toggle with a lame-o Gibson-style (much harder to quickly flick back and forth IMO :( )